ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advise buying a second hand car form a dealer

monaco 172
Hey guys.

Today we put 500 deposit down on a 2012 Nissan duke for the wife.

I think we got him down to a fair price for a good spec car with low mialeage to be honest.

We got him to agree to get a cambelt fitted and also a small dent which will need repairing on the lower passenger side door so aren't paying full amount or collecting the car until next week when it's had the work done.

But something I did miss was that on the recent mot (last week) it got an advisory for low front brake pads and a low tread front left tyre.

Now I could fit a set of pads myself for around £20 from euros. But a tyre will be the best part of £100

Would you accept the car and accept the rest of the deal seems legit, or would you get them to rectify both advisory?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You’ve done the deal.

How would you feel if he rang you up tomorrow and said he’s thought about it and he actually wants another £150? You’d be pissed.

You made a deal, you shook on it, you deposited £500 as you were happy with the deal you got. To try and renegotiate now would be a bit of a backhanded/snake like way to go about things in my opinion.

Land Rover
There’s always a few jobs to do when you buy a used car.
Couple of tyres, brake discs, door dent or two, exhaust.....

If you can get the dealer to do a few of the jobs then all the better but after all it’s a six year old car.
If it’s just brake pads and a tyre to sort then you’ve done well in my opinion.

monaco 172
That's fair enough.

Yeh, paperwork we got says cambelt, service, mot, door dent.

Worries me about the cambelt though, i never trust dealerships who say they will put a belt on, makes you wonder if it's actually really getting done or not.

Oops, Duke lol, my bad.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
That's fair enough.

Yeh, paperwork we got says cambelt, service, mot, door dent.

Worries me about the cambelt though, i never trust dealerships who say they will put a belt on, makes you wonder if it's actually really getting done or not.

Oops, Duke lol, my bad.
If the belt is worrying you, ask for the money off instead and get it done yourself.
When I was selling cars that line was music to my ears! No more warranty on the cambelt for the dealer! Lol

Land Rover
Should be possible to check, by taking one of the cover bolts off and moving it enough to see the belt.

PH2 172
One front tyre worn more than the other?

Either the tracking is out, or it`s an ex Easirent car with a part worn replacement of a different make.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
If the belt is worrying you, ask for the money off instead and get it done yourself.
When I was selling cars that line was music to my ears! No more warranty on the cambelt for the dealer! Lol

Exactly. If it snaps a few weeks later they're liable. This is why you buy from a dealer, you'd be better off buying private if you want to get work done yourself.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
But something I did miss was that on the recent mot (last week) it got an advisory for low front brake pads and a low tread front left tyre.
Now I could fit a set of pads myself for around £20 from euros. But a tyre will be the best part of £100

Rotate the tyre to the rear when you get the car and replace both next year.
Unless you're doing moon miles I can't see either getting properly low in under a year.

Exactly. If it snaps a few weeks later they're liable. This is why you buy from a dealer, you'd be better off buying private if you want to get work done yourself.

To be fair if it snaps a good while later they can still be liable, just ask @Daniel how it goes when the courts get involved.

Land Rover
How many miles has it done? Although Nissan advise the cam belt is changed every 48 months regardless of mileage
On my Transit Connect van it was 10 years/150,000 Miles!!

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
How many miles has it done? Although Nissan advise the cam belt is changed every 48 months regardless of mileage
On my Transit Connect van it was 10 years/150,000 Miles!!

Because now Nissan = Renault.

So the job probably costs a quadrillion quid and there's only two people in the world qualified enough to do it competently.

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Is it a main dealer? If so their prep work will likely mean the pads and tyre will be done too. Part of buying from franchise dealer

TBF the sales person won’t know or give a dam about what other prep is needed. He just needs to note the additional agreed work. Also if in last MOT it was noted, do you know if they still need doing now?

Land Rover
My Defender is on 102,000 miles and the timing chain hasn’t stretched yet. They rarely need attention on the TD5.
Fit and forget can be done.
But they want to make money from repairs and selling new cars.
Understandable l guess.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Stretched timing chains are common on newer stuff. ive got a 64 Note in at the moment. Needs an inlet solonoid at a cost (to the customer) of £449+Vat. Bargain,

just an example of new cars being an ass

RMDavis

ClioSport Club Member
Most stretched timing chains I've seen at work, are due to people letting the engine oil run low and not changing it regularly.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Westfield, 182, 200
I frequent the Audi TT forum and it's common now for V6 chains to stretch.
My shed focus 1.8 petrol has a chain, the 1.6 has a belt!

On the Juke, you could ask them to do the work and offer to pay the extra, they may knock some cash off or it may save you getting your hands dirty?