ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice - Sort these brakes out

Less
So I went to halfords today and bought a Aerosol can of brake cleaner and some copper grease.

So i take the wheel off... now what do I need to do. The instructions on the can say no dismantling is required? But to add copper grease i'm sure i need to.

If anyone can give me some step by step instructions that would be tops.. Cheers in advanced guys!

PS - 05 182 we are talking about

Volvo S60 T5
Undo the 13mm bolt at the bottom, lift up caliper, remove pads clean up and refit, tighten bolt, refit wheel job done

Less
So i'm going to attempt operation "brake squeel no more".
Once i've followed Mikes instructions, where do I add the copper grease?

ph1 172...a red one
thin smear between the anti squeal shim and the piston...do you have aftermarket pads fitted, OE pads dont usually squeal, maybe worn.

Less
well got all preped for the job, but there is no chance i'm going to get the wheel nuts off! They are on well tight...

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
well got all preped for the job, but there is no chance i'm going to get the wheel nuts off! They are on well tight...

You didnt happen to apply copper grease when you tightend the nuts did you last time you had the wheels on? Or did you use a Buzz gun to put them on?

Get a strong arm or a masterbar and use that to crack the nuts, if you use a buzz gun i can gurantee you will snap them.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
DO NOT apply grease to wheel nuts EVER. Changes the property of them.

Use a Strong arm or a Master bar to crack the nuts off. A Long strong wheel arm will do. Not the wheel spanners provided by renault, get a proper one. Then crack them then spin them off. Job done.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Its bad to do that. The copper grease makes it slide easier into the nut section, thus making it tighter than it should be, which increases the chances of a snapped wheel bolt/s.

Tried and tested by myself, found out the hard way. Found out that when it is hand tight from a strong arm then that is the correct way due to it locking. The copper grease made mine go in around 5 turns more, thus when the bolt is in use, more stress and snapped right off.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I have always used a dab of copper grease on wheel bolts ?

Me too . Always have done with no problems . I use a torque wrench to tighten the wheel bolts and if i've just had new tyres fitted when i get home i loosen the bolts and retighten them to the correct torque .

106 GTi
Never had an issues when using copper grease and a torque wrench so will bear this in mind next time I have the wheels off.

Edit as above - re. the tyres I always tell the tyre place to use a torque wrench on them.

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
shindig, I remember being behind you and I could hear you breacks squeeling.

Try removing the pads and dab a thin layer on the back of them just to coat them, if that does not work then get renault offical pads back on.

dont get any greese or grime on the contact surface of the pads. Might also be worth giving the pads a light sanding to remove and dirt and grime.

Lol at dont use copperslip it shears the bolts what horse s**t. Overtightening is what wrecks wheelbolts not the use of copperslip. If i had a penny for everytime I've seen some prick stand on a bar or wheel brace to "make sure they're tight" I'd be a rich man. Between that and clowns at the likes of quickfit air gunning wheel bolts into oblivion so the owner stands no chance of getting them off if they ever get a flat. The use of copperslip on the threaded part of the bolt is perfectly acceptible and will not increase risk of bolts failing. IIRC its moly (followed some long convoluted words for its full name) grease that is the preffered grease but copperslip will suffice.

Vectra 1.9 CDTi SRi 150
Lol at dont use copperslip it shears the bolts what horse s**t. Overtightening is what wrecks wheelbolts not the use of copperslip. If i had a penny for everytime I've seen some prick stand on a bar or wheel brace to "make sure they're tight" I'd be a rich man. Between that and clowns at the likes of quickfit air gunning wheel bolts into oblivion so the owner stands no chance of getting them off if they ever get a flat. The use of copperslip on the threaded part of the bolt is perfectly acceptible and will not increase risk of bolts failing. IIRC its moly (followed some long convoluted words for its full name) grease that is the preffered grease but copperslip will suffice.

Been doing this myself last 20 years and never had a problem.

cheers for the replies! i will try again with getting the wheel nuts loose

Feel free to come over to Newark if you get stuck and i'll give you a hand to sort it mate. I'll PM you a moby number incase.

Less
Well cheers to all and cheers even more to Chris.
The squeeling got the better of me picking the gf up, so we stopped off at a local garage that we "frequented" with her pug 206.

The checked the brakes on the front, pads and discs are fine. Coppered em up for me. They charged me 20quid, but at the end of the day I didnt totally know what i was doing, so have bought a lot of knowledge for next time, i now know where to apply copper grease! and have that confidence in my brakes again now!