ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice Request: Ride Height

I personally think it's a fraction too low at the front, it looks too wedge like and the splitter often contacts the ground on some corners!!

DSCF2310-sm.jpg

Couple of turns on the front uprights or leave as is?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
depends what it handles like tbh.

I personally couldn't give a rats arse what it looked like, as long as it was purposeful. Whats the understeer like with the front that low/stiff?

That's the thing, it handles ok but then I've got used to it like this.

I think when the H&R's were originally fitted IainC had Mark Fish set the car as low as possible.

Like yourself I'm not fussed about looks but if it's set up "technically" wrong I wanna know about it.

M2 Competition
Try and get the sills level mate. Will mean the front is slightly higher than the back. Will try take you a pic.

172 Cup SOLD
That's the thing, it handles ok but then I've got used to it like this.

I think when the H&R's were originally fitted IainC had Mark Fish set the car as low as possible.

Like yourself I'm not fussed about looks but if it's set up "technically" wrong I wanna know about it.

It doesn't look too far off mine to be honest, perhaps the rear is a little on the high side, let me dig mine out........for the moment check the Westerham pics thread, mines S20 CUP, it was originally set up by Mark on the turini's, need it re-done with more camber on the 2020's.

looks too low on the front

there should be 41mm of thread visible
or
155mm from the middle of the top mounting hole on the strut to the bottom of the spring

Mk2 172
Try and get the sills level mate. Will mean the front is slightly higher than the back. Will try take you a pic.

No no no. you want the front of the sill to be fractionally lower. its called rake. improves turn in and front end grip! if you dont believe me go and look at any performance car such as an m3 etc and you will find that the sill slopes dwn at the front! It looks a bit low at the front at the mo to be honest and id say raise it up a bit and lower the rear a tiny bit.

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

No no no. you want the front of the sill to be fractionally lower. its called rake. improves turn in and front end grip! if you dont believe me go and look at any performance car such as an m3 etc and you will find that the sill slopes dwn at the front! It looks a bit low at the front at the mo to be honest and id say raise it up a bit and lower the rear a tiny bit.

Yep it aids turn in for the front to be lower.

higher lol

renault-clio-2-rs-trophy-640.jpg

but the nose down stance is obvious!!! Who are we to argue?

Last edited:
mark set my ride hight but i couldnt get on and off my drive without the splitter scraping so i raised the front 4 turns and its fine now,

Would have been perfect on 16" wheels but because im on 15's it was even lower

when i raised it i had to take it back and they adjusted the camber and toe

RS RIP
Looks the same as mine. I mounted them how they came out of the box, i think it's the recommended rideheight from H&R.
the back is at its' lowest though.

I get scrubbing on fast/hard turns from the front. I've noticed there is a funny bit of the arch-liners that stick out something like an inch ; i think these are causing the scrubbing...

have you raised it yet or did you leave it like this ? This topic was a couple of months old, maybe you've already done something ?

megan R26.R number 006
it looks to me like mark has given you his normal setup wich is the dogs you whant the frunt to be 10 to 20 mm lower to help turn in .

your ride hight looks just like mine the only down side is speed humps the car tends to cach going over them

Yep your exactly right but this is Cliosport, the place where everything you do is torn to pieces by those that know nothing, only what they've been told by someone else that doesn't really have a clue either!

Happy Xmas :)

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Yep your exactly right but this is Cliosport, the place where everything you do is torn to pieces by those that know nothing, only what they've been told by someone else that doesn't really have a clue either!

Happy Xmas :)

Happy Christmas to you to, there are a lot of people on here you talk s**t but most of the time its easy to work out who. I do think it is good to have a litle weight over the front wheels by having the rear a little higher. If you look at the clio cup cars most of them are set up this way.

To be honest I've only owned the car since October and have only driven it in anger for a couple of dry laps around the Nurburgring, I guess come March time once I've pushed it safely around somewhere like Brands/Donington I'll be able to make my own informed decision :)

I'm happy with the way it is hence I've not bumped this thread up from the depths myself!

Removing the front carbon splitter has given me an inch of front ground clearance so speed bumps are less a nuisance as they were!!

it looks to me like mark has given you his normal setup wich is the dogs you whant the frunt to be 10 to 20 mm lower to help turn in .

your ride hight looks just like mine the only down side is speed humps the car tends to cach going over them

good god, homer simpson name, homer simpson english IMO

all said in joyful manner though ;)

jamie

M2 Competition

I dont think mark has a normal set-up mate. Every car is set-up individually, depending on usage, springs etc etc.

I also dont think you've ever been to mark's, so not sure how you'd know what a normal set-up is... :p

its all about the front end being slighly lower, its adds fraction for starters, as for the track gurus on here, as anybody thought about a widetrack conversion as per the following pictures??:)

cliott-1.jpg

cliotoday2.jpg

cliosat-1.jpg

^ I've been on track with that at FCS, Mat came past my PH1 down the straight at a hell of a speed then turned in for the right hander and understeered massively towards Staffordshire....

it still does over steer mate just not half as bad now ive played with the camber and track:), i posted them pics just as an example to show the track and ride height settings i run;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

Yep it aids turn in for the front to be lower.

higher lol

renault-clio-2-rs-trophy-640.jpg

but the nose down stance is obvious!!! Who are we to argue?

as said previously ;)

RB 182 Cup
the steelies help to i think plus it being black. Mine looks wider with steelies on the front.

megan R26.R number 006

I dont think mark has a normal set-up mate. Every car is set-up individually, depending on usage, springs etc etc.

I also dont think you've ever been to mark's, so not sure how you'd know what a normal set-up is... :p

you are right i have never been to Mr fishes place but i have spoken to him about setup and setting also i know a few people that have had mark set there car up for them they are all around the same height and camber settings ;)

megan R26.R number 006
my car was setup by gdi as i have had the first set of his new coilovers the car is due to go back there in the new year to have some new test peaces on the coilovers and should be going out on track Son after then for a full shake down day with Andy and some of the other gdi lads .
the track that we will be testing it on is not arranged yet but so far the kit has been tested as silverstone and cadwell park