ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advice on which laptop to buy?

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
my grandparents have offered to buy me a laptop for my A2 results last week and for uni, anyway...i have no idea about computers and stuff so just wondering if someone could help me in showing me whats good?
the price isnt too much of a problem but obviously i dont wanna appear cheeky by picking an expensive one! wanna get it from currys/comet or pc world as im picking one tomorrow with my grandad. probably looking around the £600-800 mark.

saw a nice widescreen one from comet today, had 1GB memory and 60GB (whatever that is lol) for £600, really liked that cos it was nice and silver too, but apparently ACER are a crap make? anyone have an acer laptop?

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
will have a look aaron, cheers :)

my ex is an IT Technician and it was him who said ACER are crap and "break all the time"...

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
also, as im wanting to transfer files from my computer to laptop i.e photos, what size of portable pen drive thing should i buy and how much are they?/

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
If you purchase one from us, Ill throw in a free 128MB USB Drive and Free Delivery so check with me before you buy one.

Thanks
Aaron

tiTTy & SV650
acer has a card reader in it so dont need a pen, just stick the memory card in the laptop and it reads it like a hard drive

Leon Cupra 300
I just bought a sony vaio from laptops direct. it was a grand but its fing great! its the fe11h if your interested.

Mondeo ST TDci
similar to mine, i got a 1693wlmi. use it to run CAD etc. very good and very reliable! plus they give you utilities to tweek the performance (cpu speed etc) to get maximum battery life, or for maximum performace ! very handy !

tiTTy & SV650
yeah i run cad on my acer too, never liked Dells myself, pain in the asrse website does my head in, everythings extra.

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
rory182 said:
acer has a card reader in it so dont need a pen, just stick the memory card in the laptop and it reads it like a hard drive

what memory card? so i don't need to buy a portable memory stick to transfer my photos to the laptop from computer then?

sorry, im clueless with computers, im female..it's allowed ;)

106 GTi
I would just get a length of Ethernet cable and join both machines together and copy your files over .

K20 EG Hatch
i have a dell laptop and really cant fault it! some of the older dells were very flimsy but the newer ones imo are great.
acer i must say are very good for the money, not only this but if in the worst case anything does go wrong with it in my experience they are the cheapest and easiest to get parts for!

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
cheers guys, gonna go for the acer from comet 2morow :) cant wait! it's got the best spec so far -

Key featuresProcessor speed: 1.73 GHz
Processor: Intel Pentium M
Screen size: 15.4 brightwidescreen
Storage: 60 GB
RAM: 1024 Mb
Records DVDs: 8x

for £599 :)

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
whats bad about 3 usbs?

wil have to buy it from comet as grandad is paying on his card 2moro and doesnt trust online :( grr! also..i want a carry case, printer and a memory stick so wil have to be in person to blag them ;)

Golf GTD
you should be able to blag a free bag, but dont let them sell you their s**t for 9.99 a month. PC world call it PC Performance im not sure if currys call it the same, but basically its a rip off.

Also remember that the laptop is wireless already, so you dont need a wirless card or usb reciever.

The laptop is recommended, my auntie has just got one and it is very speedy and looks nice.

Golf GTI 1.8T
biatch!! lol ;)

i got a printer free and sold it on ebay for £29 so that was a result :D lol

ermm as for carry case's as your a stylish lil girl you might want to check out Crumpler cases as these are very snazzy but were a bit too expensive for me mum plus dont think they do them fro 17" widescreen, so she got me this really nice kickers one! :D

ermm 3 usb's aint much really i got a mouse plugged in, little lava lamp and webcam at the mo, but also use them for digi cams etc, got 6 usbs :D

Last edited:

Maz

LY 200
Mitch.. having 6 USB's doesn't make up for your **** **** ... ;) lol

Enjoy the laptop hun ..

Marie :)

Golf GTI 1.8T
I know I'd need at least 12 for that!!! ;)

just found out my sister ordered a dell inspiron 6000 today, corr I should be a dell rep and getting comission for this :)

57 Ibiza Formula Sport
M1TCH said:
biatch!! lol ;)

i got a printer free and sold it on ebay for £29 so that was a result :D lol

ermm as for carry case's as your a stylish lil girl you might want to check out Crumpler cases as these are very snazzy but were a bit too expensive for me mum plus dont think they do them fro 17" widescreen, so she got me this really nice kickers one! :D

ermm 3 usb's aint much really i got a mouse plugged in, little lava lamp and webcam at the mo, but also use them for digi cams etc, got 6 usbs :D

lol funky site mitch ta :) 3 usb's wil be enough 4 me i shud think :) did u mention a webcam...;)?

Golf GTI 1.8T
yeah knowsit!!!

I dont charge much ;)

oooo I know summin else you wanna get too!! I love mine! :D

Golf GTI 1.8T
soz had to take some pics!!

It's a mini mouse, perfect for laptops. made by belkin and can get it from pc world.

I love it!! changes colours :D

mouse-1.gif

mouse-3.gif

mouse-2.gif

tiTTy & SV650
sorry anni didnt realise you meant swapping pics from computer to laptop, thought you meant from digital camera to laptop.

Yeah get a USB key, 256Mb minimum I'd say, 512Mb even better.

I have a crumpler bag for mine the Acers are quite big so I went to an Apple shop with it and the only bag it'd fit in was a crumpler! £75 for the bag lol

106 GTi
rory182 said:
I went to an Apple shop with it and the only bag it'd fit in was a crumpler! £75 for the bag lol

Should have picked up a proper laptop while you where in there ;)

Monaro VXR
Wont be long till we see the mac OS on other PC's i reckon. Apple already did have a version of it running on a windows based machien a while ago just didnt sell it....wonder why that is probably because would show up that there hardware really isnt as good as they tried to say it is.

Der Panzer
eBay. Don't buy a Dell. Acer or HP. Sony's are good, but rather expensive.

Seriously, eBay purchases are sound and cheaper.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
Andy182Cup said:
eBay. Don't buy a Dell. Acer or HP. Sony's are good, but rather expensive.

Seriously, eBay purchases are sound and cheaper.

And why not. dell customer server is miles ahead of anyone else IMO