ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on rebuilding engine from snapped cambelt

Clio Ph2 172
Hello everyone,

I need some advice. I have a 172 that the Auxiliary belt snapped and took the cambelt with it. I am wanting to strip down the head and assess the damage and see if the engine can be salvaged. At the moment I've found the camshafts are damaged and I think are hydraulic lifters all loose in the head. I'm expecting to find some bent valves.

A replacement engine would be easier, but in my opinion false economy unless you know its recently had the belts, etc done on it.

So I'm looking advice on

- Removing the rocker cover. The belts sit under the engine mount so I assume I will need to support the engine to release the mount and raise the engine to gain further access to the belts, pulleys etc.

- Rebuild - depending on the damage. (Hoping the bore is ok), I started making of list of parts I will need

- Head gasket kit (head bolts, manifold gasket, etc).
- Camshafts (Depending on budget I may uprate them)
- Valves
- New belts
- Pulley Phaser
- Water Pump
- Tensioner

Is there anything else ?

Timing - I don't have the tools or knowhow on how to time the engine. So I was hoping to do most of the repair work myself, assembled to the point where just the cambelt needs fitting and it timed at a Renault indy garage. Does this sound doable?

Advice on this would be most appreciated.

I'm happy to time engines up that customers bring to me.

I will advise:
DO NOT use pattern parts, especially with gaskets and valves. Valves aren't cheap and it's generally cheaper to go for stuff like Supertech (I supply these at £360).

Get the head checked, it will most likely need new guides.

Transit & Death trap
I'm sure I looked at rebuilding one before and the parts alone came in at about a grand!!... Someone will be able to correct me if I'm wrong though.

I'd opt for a used engine, with good history and MOT cert' to verify mileage, then pay to have new belts/dephaser done before fitting, as the labour will be much cheaper with the engine out the car.

Clio Ph2 172
Stripped it down. Head is pretty much dead. All the rocker arms are loose some of the holders have snapped or damaged. The exhaust valves are all bent, and the bore has slight scoring as a result. Block might be ok but wouldn't really know until you put it back together. Seems like a new engine with belts done is the way forward, but your getting to a point where the cost exceeds the cars value. I'm tempted to just break it for parts.

Clio Ph2 172
UPDATE

I've sourced a cylinder head and I'm going to have the engine rebuilt with new head bolts, gaskets etc.

I've been quoted to £280 labour to have the top end rebuild, with me supplying all the parts.

So now it's parts time!

I went genuine parts with the clio last time, so I will do it again.

Does £300 seem reasonable for Cambelt with pulleys, camshaft phaser and water pump?
I've also got an auxiliary belt with tensioner for £70

That, along with coolant, oil service, we should up and running again. Albeit, at the cost of crap clio, but hey, it will be good for another 4 years or however miles it is.