ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice on buying a 182

RenaultSport Clio 182
Hi all

Just looking for a little advice. I have been to look at a 6 month old 182 (privately owned) which was purchased from my local Renault Dealer in December. I asked to look at the paperwork and at this point he pointed out that the car was his wifes car and because him and his wife have driving convictions they registered it in his mom's name with them as named drivers on the insurance. He then showed me other paperwork for his vehicle also registered in this way. I took all the details and checked this out with the dealer who confirmed the details I had and they didn't seem to think it would be a problem.

They have accepted my offer subject to a HPI and vehicle inspection but I'm just wondering if the fact the vehicle isn't registered to them should make me reconsider my purchase.

Focus ST
You've confirmed the details, your going through the HPI process. There shouldn't be a problem.

I can't remember what all the docs are, but just make sure they post off the vehicle reg docs with your name on it.

A reason why some people take this route is because the insurance company will only insure you fully comp and if you are the registered owner. If they want to be named drivers, because of points etc, this is the only way.

Again just make sure that the reg docs are all above board. Offer to post them....

In short, GO FOR IT, YOU CERTAINLY WON'T REGRET THE INVESTMENT :star:

MINI JCW
I dont see it being a problem, I know a lot of younger people register their cars in their mum and dads name and then go on as name drivers to reduce costs.

If its what you want and a good price then go for it, good luck

Clio 172
Not necessarily a bad thing imo.

My boyfriends P1 is registered in his mams name as his insurance was stupidly high due to an old conviction for speeding a few years back.

Providing HPI is clear ask for the car to be checked over by renault or a garage you trust prior to you buying.

Good luck

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
when your splashing out soo much of your heard earned cash on a private sale you want everything to be just right !! I know i would.

if i was you i would shop around and look for one from a dealer with full service histroy, receipts and possibly some warenty - extra warenty is transferable now ! - if they both have convictions then both of them have a heavy foot (not always the case i know) ie a beaten up car......

just my way of lookin at it tho.

Ad

MK2 FRS
Kinsella said:
when your splashing out soo much of your heard earned cash on a private sale you want everything to be just right !! I know i would.

if i was you i would shop around and look for one from a dealer with full service histroy, receipts and possibly some warenty - extra warenty is transferable now ! - if they both have convictions then both of them have a heavy foot (not always the case i know) ie a beaten up car......

just my way of lookin at it tho.

I wouldnt rush to buy from a dealer, you will be paying 1k plus on a private sale, so it is just not worth the extra.

Yaris Hybrid
My brother is 21 and has had his last two new cars (Yaris and Corolla) registered in my mums name. He is a very slow safe driver (drives like a girl) but had to do this as the insurance penalises him for being a young male so he has to insure it in my mums name (she doesn't drive at all).

He and the Toyota dealer wouldn't be as honest as the people above as if selling it they would say it had one careful lady owner although in fairness my bro is pretty much one of those.

So those people have been honest when they need not have been. Maybe investigate their convictions, anyone can get 3 or 6 points by driving perfectly sensibly by our standards.