ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Advice Needed

hi all, after having a 172 cup a few years ago im looking at possibly taking the plunge again. i have seen a reasonably low mileage car that seems well maintained. The issue is the belt and dephaser change. the guy says it was done when he bought the car but has no receipt for it but the garage wrote it on their good garage guide service book they issued. shortly afterwards the clutch was replaced under warranty but once again no receipt. am i being over cautious not believing this?

Or are there any reasonably low mileage cars out there for decent money and proper history, i seem to have exhausted, ebay, gumtree, auto trader, the forums etc

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
genuine Decent cars are now very few and far between ! History is everything with these cars if it's not invoice d it ain't been done !

There are decent Cup's out there. I'd walk away from this, anyone can sign a service book.

Yeah thats what I was thinking. What sort of mileage are these engines good for before you start to get major problems? The one I buy will probably be a summer weekend toy so should i be put off by higher mileage or not?

Volvo S40
Yeah thats what I was thinking. What sort of mileage are these engines good for before you start to get major problems? The one I buy will probably be a summer weekend toy so should i be put off by higher mileage or not?

As long as they're well serviced they're good for well over 100k. I believe there's one on here on >180k. I'd much rather have a higher mileage example with a good history than a low mileage example with questionable history.

KitsonRis

ClioSport Club Member
You have to be really trusting if you want to believe them IMO as if that goes wrong then it is very expensive. I personally would walk away.
As said history is everything. I'm at 166k miles and I have a massive stash of receipts from the previous owner and I have added to that. Everything is documented for piece of mind. Admittedly I do sign the service book myself when I do the oil and filter change, but I doubt I will sell the car, just drop a new engine in when it goes pop.
And high mileage wise, mine still pulls very well and I can get a 30-70mph pull in 3rd gear to about 6seconds. I've heard in the forum that this is a good measure of engine health, but it's not definitive!

Cheers guys, off to spain tomorrow for 4 days so will step the hunt up when i get back, really want another now

If anyone knows any decent cars I'm Looking for either a 172 or 182 ideally a cup. Lower mileage the better with history and proof belts have been done (not handwritten in a service book like I am seeing a lot of folk doing). Not bothered if it is due soon as long as there is proof the car has been looked after. I am in scotland but willing to travel and spend about £2.5k

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Don't fixate on the Cup, especially if it's the 182.
They're no quicker, with only marginally stiffer suspension.
You have to put up with the poverty spec interior as well.

It's far more important to find a decent example with documented service history, or at least leave yourself the room in the budget to get belts done if needs be.

Oh well up early to get the train down to Yorkshire tomorrow to look at a 182FF, 1 owner low miles(71k) FSH and everything documented including belt change in July this year, fingers crossed it lives up to all the pictures the owner has sent me and i will be driving it home.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
fingers crossed for you mate,send me some pics if you do decide to buy it it did look good,just go through all the paperwork oh and haggle ha ha

will do mate, there is a slight rust scab on the passenger door at the bump strip (will either get it repaired or just change the full door if I can find the right colour) has some bubbling that look like stone chips on the bonnet (will either get it repaired or just change the bonnet if I can find the right colour) and the front jacking points have been crushed slightly and have some signs of surface rust, (will get them attended too), these are the bad points. Good points it has had the belts, water pump etc done, new clutch, new rear discs and caliper, recent service, fsh and all documented, MOT until July 2016. The bad points don't scare me as I have a couple of mates that are painters and panel beaters so no fear there. Oh yes I shall be haggling big style lol.