ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advice needed... emmissions light on/weird flat spot

Clio 182 FF RB
ok, so ive tried the search engine on here and cant find what i want re: this problem i have, but if anyone can find the answer in another topic which has been posted please do send me the linky :rasp:

i got a full system exhaust fitted to my 182 the other week (including de cat) and it's all running fine apart from this orange light on the right hand side is on constantly, looks a bit like the engine management light but i think it is the emmissions light. Also the car has got quite bad when cold, sometimes i will put my foot down and it will feel like there is some kind of prolonged flat spot/blockage in the system and it wont accelorate, so i have to drive at a slow speed until it accelorates normally (this only takes about 5 - 10 seconds to sort itself out). Last week I was driving home and this flat spot type problem happened again, only this time the engine had warmed up, the car wouldnt accelorate over 3k in every gear, so i got home and left it and when i drove it the next day it was fine again :S

Im presuming this all has something to do with the exhaust being changed as my car had no problems before i had it fitted, I did go to the renault dealer after id had it fitted and told them about the light and he said that he thought it would just be a case of moving the downstream (i think it was the downstream) sensor to somewhere where the air is fresher and this would make the light go off, but i didnt have this prolonged flat spot/blockage at this point so didnt ask him about that.

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what would fix this problem as it is really starting to do my head in, it doesnt affect the performance of the car normally, just at these random times it happens.

helllllllllp!! :dapprove:

Clio 182 FF RB
it's been on the diagnostic machine when i took it in for a service, they said they reset everything and it was fine, but it is still happening! This wasn't a renault dealer that put it on the diagnostics but it was a very good garage, i think i might have to take it to the renault people though, just dont want it to cost a bomb and thought the more i knew about it before i took it there the more it may help to save me money.

Clio MK 4
so it wasn't accelerating above 3 k and had the light on dashboard before you had the service??

Unfortunately the diagnostic at renault is around 80 quid standard. However if the problem still persists the next time they put it through the diagnostic its free.

Clio MK 4
I'm sure people will have more of an idea on here than me as i'm having big problems with my 172 and no one can solve it.

Clio 182 FF RB
yer that time i said i was driving home and the engine was warm it suddenly started being funny and wouldn't accelorate over 3k in each gear.....usually it happens when it's cold though, i hope someone can sort it coz i dont think i can live with it lol.

the light was on about 5 mins down the road after i drove away from the garage that fitted my exhaust and its been on permanently since then. Someone else must know what it is on here, surely??? :(

Clio MK 4
Seems to be a sensor. Maybe if you give the lambda, map and tdc sensor a clean it might help. otherwise it will need to go to renault.

i know how you feel, my car will be fine then suddenly i cant accelerate properly as the car jolts and power is irregular then car cuts out. so annoying and always feel it might happen when ever.

Clio 182
I have the same issue with my 182. The emissions light is on constantly but this only happened after I fitted the Decat so I just assume it is down to this.
As far as the poor performance when cold, this has always been the case, you need to let it warm up anyway, rather than booting it from the outset, think it is the car making sure you don't kill it and let it warm up properly.

Clio 182 FF RB
i never rag it from cold, i sit there for about a minute with the engine running before driving away and then i dont go over 3k until the needle is up to the normal temperature.....but its hard to accelorate to over 1.5k when this thing happens when its cold, and nearly impossible to take off on a hill lol. Oh well, im gunna go to renault this week sometime and get a price on fixing whatever it might be then think about putting it in to get sorted, i just hate spending my money on things which shouldnt be happening grrr!

Probably holding back due to emmissions from the decat. As the garage said need to move the lamdba somewhere fresher and plug the hole in the decat.

Might not be right but its the first and easiest thing I'd try.

Shhh
Ring the AA, they can plug into the car, and tell you whats wrong with it..

cant delete fault codes i believe, or thats what i was told 12 months ago.

Megane 225
It'll be the lambda sensor getting the wrong reading due to the decat! A remap would help as the tuner should be able to tweak to map to suit!

Clio 182 FF RB
cant get remaps over here so that would be pretty expensive paying the boat and travelling fees, im pretty sure the garage i went to to get it serviced deleted the fault codes and that didnt work. I think ill get the lambda sensor moved and just pray that it works.