ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

advancing the ignition timing

FRST and 106 GTi

Ive tried this already. Just want to know your opinion on the subject and what do you sugest?

On the valver/willy I know that if you put the sensor to the max it will give an extra going on high rpm... I drive a 1.4lts energy engine, not that much extra going. :/

you can see what Im talking about...
http://www.steve.groom.btinternet.co.uk/diagnostics.htm

sensor P

advancing the ignition timing isnt as simple as you put it. I dont know what the 16V run at, and i dont know what safe. But if you advance it too much, you can seriously damage the bottom end.

Higher octane fuel also lets you run more advance....but not too much.
i wouldnt play with it too much!!!!

FRST and 106 GTi

Ive tried it all! opps ;P

Went to unlead 98 octane fuel, got it sensor P to the max, changed the distri cap because mine was in a bad shape (it just gri gri... whats the word?)
At ralenti the engine wouldnt stable at 900rpm... would up and down between 700 and 1100rpm. wild
In high rpm (above 4500rpm) it would go easier till 6000rpm. But not the thrill I was hoping for. :/

FRST and 106 GTi

at bb they sell this sensor with 6 degree advance.

hum... I could see if mine is the same look a like the valver. If not, I can try the valver sensor.
How bad can it be?

Engine failure. Thats how bad it can be.

If you advance your ignition too much, it will detonate on the upstroke, pushing aginst the piston too early, the resulting stress could cause piston distruction or a rod letting go. As Ben said, be careful.

FRST and 106 GTi

I guess you cant advance that much to the point of spark on the upstroke...
I think the max you can advance is 8 degrees.

I know a willy that its 8 degrees advance and now just went by the 100mil km mark.. no problems so far.

BMW 320d Sport

Yeah 8 degrees is a lot of advance really. I just had my chip reprogrammed at Hill Power and he said it was about 4 or 5 degrees advance.

Renault Laguna

Notice that I sent that to Steve... Not advisable on the F7P as it runs on the max allowed timing...if you do go up on octane rating to avoid knocking.

FRST and 106 GTi

Actually Im using the Sensor P half way to the max. Also Im using unlead 98 octane.

Above 3000rpm the car just feel a little more brave... nothing to be pround of, but its a start.

I dont sugest this pratice to anyone.
If you want to look into to this, fine, but you are on your own.

When you talk about degrees what are you refering to? degrees turn on the crakshaft? If so wheres zero?

Cheers, Simon

degrees advance reffers to the position of the crankshaft in degrees before TDC when the spark occurs.

TDC is zero deg, so you go anti-clockwise however number of deg for the advance.

also, re the timing.. moving the hall effect pickup is rather crude.. to say the least !.. this alters the WHOLE map.. not where you need it..

I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole personally..

stone age springs to mind.

Joe

FRST and 106 GTi

well.... Slarty, I didnt understand a single word you posted... Maybee because you post more sarcasm that I can read when written in English.

Sometimes its kind of hard to understand some posts.

BMW 320d Sport

What Joe means is that the thing BB are selling to advance the timing has the effect of moving the sensor so that it sends a wrong signal to the ECU to make it advance the iginition. Because this is a fixed amount of error sent to the ECU, you get a fixed amount of extra advance across all the whole rev range and under every load (ie full throttle, idle, half-throttle/cruising etc).