ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adjusting height on AST sportline 1/4100

Just got hold of a set of these but can't fathom how the height adjustment works. I get you move the collars up or down the strut, but in doing this it adds or reduces pre-load to the springs. Now if I move the collars down to much the springs aren't under load and are loose on the strut and if you move it up to much then the springs compress adding unwanted pre load.

Or am I missing something? Not fitted them yet but as is the springs aren't under load and move about on the strut... See below.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Collars have a Allen key to keep them pinched and not moving.

As for the play, that's because the helper spring is to keep the the spring from becoming displaced at full droop - like it's simulating now.

Collars have a Allen key to keep them pinched and not moving.

As for the play, that's because the helper spring is to keep the the spring from becoming displaced at full droop - like it's simulating now.
So when fitted and under the weight of the car the strut will compress, therefore compressing the spring?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
So when fitted and under the weight of the car the strut will compress, therefore compressing the spring?
Yes mate that's it. The helper spring is designed to run fully compressed as they're only needed when you're at full droop. Very unlikely thing to happen unless you're raising the car up off the ground.

Front collars are now free, but the rear hex bolts on the collars are stuck solid, and I've now rounded the hex, lol. No biggie, I'll just drill them out in work.

Can't wait to get these fitted now, I'm hoping they'll be night and day over the OE cup dampers and ECP's AMAX springs.

Thanks for the help men :up:

Just having a search around regarding running a RARB with these coilovers and some say its not needed due to how hard they are set-up from factory, especially running 110nm rear springs. Is there any truth in this? I'm currently running a Whiteline RARB on the soft setting...

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Just having a search around regarding running a RARB with these coilovers and some say its not needed due to how hard they are set-up from factory, especially running 110nm rear springs. Is there any truth in this? I'm currently running a Whiteline RARB on the soft setting...
I has Ast's and removed the arb as my car was far too tail happy with it on. I can't remember the rates but they were 'kin stiff on the road lol

you'll discover how awful your springs really were :tonguewink:
Haha, still managed to pedal it around Oulton and Blyton at a decent pace. I've got a feeling that it will take a while to push past what I think the limit is on these, especially if it's twitchy as.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Haha, still managed to pedal it around Oulton and Blyton at a decent pace. I've got a feeling that it will take a while to push past what I think the limit is on these, especially if it's twitchy as.

Need to be in the 1:50's round Oulton before you start reaching the limit of them haha.

dan's cast offs.

'good' suspension is another level :cool:

I'm having the same issue and thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one. I'd like to increase rear ride height - it's not clear to me reading the thread above how the issue was resolved. When I adjust the collar on the AST 4100 damper body, all this appears to do is compress the helper spring. What am I missing?

I'm having the same issue and thought I'd bump this thread rather than start a new one. I'd like to increase rear ride height - it's not clear to me reading the thread above how the issue was resolved. When I adjust the collar on the AST 4100 damper body, all this appears to do is compress the helper spring. What am I missing?

Helper spring is just there to keep the main spring in place, adjust away if on compressing the helper.

Thanks chaps for the quick replies. I suspect that I am already at the max ride height and that any more adjustment of the collar is simply compressing the helper spring not extending the strut length any further. Here's a photo at full droop - does this look about right for max rear height on the 4100s?

IMG_0127.JPG

This photo shows 94 cm between the collar and the top of the threads.

IMG_0118.JPG

The pic is shadowy so difficult to see, but the wheels are off the ground i.e. this is full droop with no weight on the suspension. When on the wheels the edge of the tyre is more or less in line with the arch. I'd like more ride height as this is primarily a road car and I hit the bump stops when taking dips at speed.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
On my ASTs for a near 50% cross weight the measurements from the bottom of the thread to the bottom of the collar are as follows
Front: 52mm each side
Rears 119mm left, 169mm right

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
On my ASTs for a near 50% cross weight the measurements from the bottom of the thread to the bottom of the collar are as follows
Front: 52mm each side
Rears 119mm left, 169mm right
Is that with you in it Graham? That seems alot of difference (50mm) on the rears.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Is that a typo, Graham?

Assume your rears have the helper spring fully compressed? Would be interested in seeing pics of your rear arch gap if you have any.

Eddie555

ClioSport Club Member
  Q7 2018 & 172 Cup.
Is that a typo, Graham?

Assume your rears have the helper spring fully compressed? Would be interested in seeing pics of your rear arch gap if you have any.
If it helps you at all.. My car is set at 30cm from wheel centre to wheel arch all round whilst its on the floor.. Running AST5100..

f9ff5006d04b754119b44b35d068b200.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Is that with you in it Graham? That seems alot of difference (50mm) on the rears.

This is actually based on Martins 182 which I have transfer to mine but yeah that was with him in I believe @Martin. to confirm. The springs are 5" with a spacer which would make a difference (I think). Mart will know the specifics much better than me :)

IMG_1673.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG
IMG_1665.JPG

IMG_5587.jpg