ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adjusting Handbrake!!

Silver Renault Clio 182
Other day went to out handbrake on and it came pretty much all the way up. Will it be possible to fix this myself or will it have to go to the garage. If can be rectified by myself how do i do it? Cheers!!!

Now Sold :-(
to adjust it you need to get under the car and take the heat shield off that sits above the cat. Four bolts I think. Then just tighten the nut that runs between the cables where they join the hand brake. clockwise tightens it up but will be obvious as you do it. Make sure the handbrake is off when you adjust it.

Only thing I would consider though is that if it has just pulled all the way up suddenly there is a good chance one of the cables has snapped. Check behind the rear wheels where it joins the calliper to make sure the cable hasn't snapped. If it has then I recommend changing both cables to be on the safe side. About £55 from Renault for the pair.

The adjusting and cable fitting are not difficult jobs as long as you have a set of axle stands to get the car up in the air safely.