ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Adding EXTRA RAM to PC...

CLIOpatra, L22EE W™
Currently have 1024 installed (2 x 512)

Tests suggest that I have got 2 free slots for extra RAM. As these are 4 slots in total, 2 slots taking up 512mb RAM each, while 2 remain empty.

Am looking to install 2 x 1GB RAM in the 2 empty RAM slots. Is it possible just to buy any 1GB RAM, as I have been looking @ this : http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/32747...-PC5300-DDR2-667MHz-240-Pin-Dimm/Product.html but noticed it has 240-pin DIMM?

Been looking on Crucial.com as there is a Memory Advisor™ tool on the site. So I choose my motherboard, etc... and it advised RAM to me, but with a 184-pin DIMM.

Does it mean I can only install RAM on my motherboard that only has a 184-pin DIMM, or will using a RAM with 240-pin DIMM will NOT be complatiable with my motherboard?

Need some help with this one, because I don't want to buy incorrect sized RAM, and mess things up!

Gracias...

megane/clio
hi , yeah thats the right memory from overclockers , 184 pin ddr , dont have to get that particular one just as long as its 184 pin ddr :)) try and buy as a matched pair as well , they tend to come as a set

Better than yours. C*nt.
  megane/clio
"DDR2 DIMM memory modules are not backward-compatible with DDR
DIMM , due to incompatible pin configurations, core voltage, and memory chip technology. DDR2 modules are designed with a different "key" in the edge connector to prevent insertion into incompatible memory sockets such as DDR motherboard. A DDR2 SDRAM DIMM will not fit into a standard SDRAM DIMM socket or a DDR DIMM socket. DDR2 modules use a 1.8V power supply, providing a big power saving over the 2.5V DDR modules. "

Better than yours. C*nt.
Where did you get that? As it's b****cks. SDRAM sticks won't go into DDR slots due to the keys is them but physically DDR and DDR2 are so close that they'll fit - I've done a test.

megane/clio
its off the crucial website , but obviously your more in the know than them , ddr2 and ddr have different key/fitting slots so if you got it in it was forced and would have been damaged before turning the computer on anyways , not that it matters coz the chap sorted who asked the original question.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Doesn't damage them going in - and the DDR sticks work afterwards, it's the motherboard that cooks.