ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ad08 v fed 595 rsr

evo 6rs/clio 172
Has anyone ran the both
About to order 2 x frts for odd trackdays and mostly rd use
The rsr are about £20 cheaper
​Cheers

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mine (ado8) have just turned up. I had a similar choice to you but decided on the yoko's. Will be getting fitted later and bedded in for the trackday at oulton next Tuesday. What prices you getting? And size?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
Ah okay. I found ears motorsport to be the cheapest for the usual 195/50/15 at £300 delivered. Might be worth a call?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
if you call up Ears you need to speak to sam, hes on holiday this week back next week i think but they like CS members at EARs :)

soon to become traders through CS too!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
You know, I never even thought of quoting this place. Still, I'm happy with the price and the delivery was spot on. I welcome them on here

Cup In bits
If your wanting cheap 205/45/16 RS-R's then have a look on my tyres.co.uk, I paid circa £78 and they are now £71.80, total bargain IMO.

Cup In bits
People say there's two types of compounds supposedly as some mx5 racers had difference in lap times between two different sources of the tyre, I run these from my tyres and can assure you there pretty darn good.

Pretty good afaic for a car with lowering springs.

[video=youtube_share;bg_YNyOG9Zg]http://youtu.be/bg_YNyOG9Zg[/video]

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
^ This is true I spoke to the man himself who builds and races mx5s at his unit. He bought some from one of the sites as they were selling them cheaper than he could buy them from the UK distributor, he buys a fair few as he's one of the suppliers of the tyres for the series.

He tried them back to back and they were constantly a couple seconds slower a lap.

Now would a "normal" person notice the difference between the two on a trackday probably not. I'm not chasing lap times I do them for fun.
I tried buying the used set he got from the cheaper sources but he wouldn't sell me them and he had written w@nk on them so he wouldn't use them by accident in a race.

I take what he says as gospel aswel so this isn't Internet rumours.

I'm running the Rsr's atm and really like them, there's a few more contenders just come out recently from Nankang and Syron so I will look at reviews for them when I need some more

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I cant understand the logic of federal making two tyres with the same designation and totally different makeup, if they were doing that surely they should just mark them as different compounds like Toyo do with 888 in SG/GG etc

Unless people are saying the cheaper ones are fake or something?

Ours were cheap and have been great, would happily buy again TBH

Cup In bits
Tyre storage has a lot to do with how they perform, assuming this guy treated them in exactly the same way as he treated all of them (heat cycles and duration used, stored etc)

I'm the same as you George, I'm also going to try these less well known brands after trying Federals, I was very doubtfull of anything but a big name but tyre technology has changed recently and its more of an open playing field. There are loads of good reviews nowadays on cheaper track day tyres which can't be overlooked IMO.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Can only presume these cheaper ones are old batches/stock that the larger tyre dealers buy in large numbers at cheaper prices.

Yes he treated the tyres identical mate, he bought them with intention of using them not to sl@g them off.

Absolutely. I've tried the R888, but when you can get these track day tyres from the lesser known brands for a lot less money that perform nearly aswel ime then I personally will be trying them out. Like you say tyre compounds have come on leaps and bounds recently and more companies offering these types of tyres can only be a good thing for us lot :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I first heard that mx5 story quite a long time ago now (must be a year at least?)
I find it hard to believe that these "pile them high and sell them cheap" vendors have that amount of stock so even if it was the case when he got them that they were old stock and different as a result they surely can't still be now?

Cup In bits
For the £71 I can get the 205/45/16 RS-R's I'll take the chance with old stock/different compound. In mr mx5's case it matters as he is doing a single car championship and any advantage helps.

There are tyre mould dates on tyres that could be compared, I'll have a look for mine after washing it.

Ph1 Tom on here has also got the XL version I have seen him mention which have an even stiffer sidewall, again I'll have a look.

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have a look what dates are on mine. But for the money I can't fault them.

I got the 205/50-R15 for £63 a tyre. They went up early summer to £99 a tyre and now they are back to £62.

Federal are popular elsewhere in the world so if demand is high and the cost to mytyres goes up then that will be passed on to the customer.

Cup In bits
I checked the tyres, no idea how to read what month and year they were made though.

EDIT: they were made in the 11th week of 2013 so last week in march this year.

null_zps0f6840b1.jpg

evo 6rs/clio 172
Recieved them yesterday
Fitted today
The grip is unreal and near the 888
​For the money these are excellent

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I proper miss my RSR's since getting some new wheels which came with shitty budget tyres. Once I get some spare cash I'll get some ordered to go onto the pro race 1.2's.

I think they grip well, and have been great on track. For less than 100 pounds a tyre they really are worth it :)
I'd recommend them to anyone

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
250 delivered for 4 at the moment in 15"

And there's me who went to collect 5 pro race 1.2's thinking they were 15" for this exact reason, cheaper tyres. I got there and realised they were 16" and bought them anyway lol

What's the extra outlay for an extra inch in tyre size? Roughly 20 quid per tyre?

WRX
I think mytyres is a subsidiary of a German company. There was nothing wrong with mine from there so I wouldn't worry about it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Germany isnt exactly famous for poor quality knock off goods TBH so seeing tyres come from there would fill me with nothing other than confidence!

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I'll be using that company next time that's for sure. I used KAM Racing last time but these are cheaper

evo 6rs/clio 172
Hi chip
The cold running is fantastic
The mid range torque is a lot better
Many thanks for your efforts
Honestly these tyres from new are great
​Nearest thing to 888 I have had