ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Acoustic Valve and Milltek

Milltek'd 182
Righty, had the day off and its nice and sunny so thought i'd remove the valve. Was a pretty easy and satisfying job to do tbh! took it for a quick blast and it seemed to be a bit more responsive, going to evaluate it over the week though. was a bit annoyed that it still whistles as i thought that would be the valve, obv not!
only thing was there is a stray pipe thing! it looks snapped off but i cant for the life of me find where its come from! pic below....
IMG_0447.gif

also find theres alot more space down there now, so i think a fog night CAF is in order some time soon, anyone know where i can get the bits?

this is what it looks like after -
IMG_0448.gif

i also did a little video of my milltek as i was out with the camera, its not very long but you get the idea. i'l do a longer one if people like it. oh and excuse my cat lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVNoSht5sMI

oh and think its worth posting a guide on how to remove it? i dont mind doing one, or is there one already? i know 7MAT did one on the trophy forum but i couldnt find it.

Dave

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Think its a breather / purge pipe for the battery. Try tracing it back....

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Its not connected I think it just clipped onto the outside of the acoustic value housing I believe. I done mine ages ago. just tuck it away and make sure it doesn't touch the wheel like mine did after my wheel arch liner came off. Lol

Milltek'd 182
lol, i just couldnt work out where it came from, i took the lining off and there it was! if you look at the second pic down, ive taped it with the cables that were on the valve and taped them up the top there, think that will be ok? cheers mate

Milltek'd 182
cheers, looks good. did you do it from the fog? or just leave it near the vent thing in the arch liner?

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Ive got mine to the vent thingy and then pointing to bell of the maxogen... not connected just pointing. I did try it to the fog but didn't feel like I got much gain for loosing a fog light.

I'm, thinking of removing the fogs and the caf and trying it that way. You might want to try the same before spending alittle money on a caf

Last edited:
R

rich[182]

Does anyone KNOW what this pipe is as opposed to thinking, just that I wouldnt mind doing this but never do anything unless I know 100% what everything is - lol

RS RIP
rich[182];2598421 said:
Does anyone KNOW what this pipe is as opposed to thinking, just that I wouldnt mind doing this but never do anything unless I know 100% what everything is - lol

I think (sorry) it might have something to do with noiselevels ? Because of "acoustic" has to do with sound ? The valve maybe there just to reduce the noise. If this is all it does i want to take mine off too !

correct me when i'm wrong

R

rich[182]

rich[182];2598421 said:

I think (sorry) it might have something to do with noiselevels ? Because of "acoustic" has to do with sound ? The valve maybe there just to reduce the noise. If this is all it does i want to take mine off too !

Thanks but I meant what does the unconnected pipe do, I know about the valve itself etc, just dont like the idea of finding a pipe without knowing why its not connected etc

M2 Competition
Ive not seen anything solid that says removing the acoustic valve makes much of a difference, if any at all, to your cars performance. Mine can stay on for now.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Ive not seen anything solid that says removing the acoustic valve makes much of a difference. Mine can stay on for now.
Phase 1's don't have 1, suggesting that they are not needed. Solid enough for me.

Milltek'd 182
does the vid not work? try it again matty!

rich, the acoustic valve is needed to meet stringent countries like swedens noise rules and emmission regs. it isnt needed for the uk. it basically blocks off the feed to the engine at some points in the rev range. the pipe that you need to block up is a direct feed to the inlet (literally a hole into the phlenum no fancy business). just needs to be blocked so there isnt dirty air being sucked in and it also may idle high. there is also a little electrical connector that needs to be removed. i have noticed a definate increase in throttle response especially from when i first put my foot down. definately a well worth while mod and i would do it again if i bought another 182. even if your not sure about it you can always put it back on. takes literally 20mins (for a first timer) to remove it. want me to post a guide? peperami - i doubt there would be an increase in bhp as such (maybe one or two at points in the rev range) but i can notice the difference so thats good enough for me lol

Dave

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
rich[182];2598647 said:

Thanks but I meant what does the unconnected pipe do, I know about the valve itself etc, just dont like the idea of finding a pipe without knowing why its not connected etc

Its about the DBs in Sweden, it is restrictive, arch liner feed is no good my brothers:approve:

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
On the subject of noise, anyone into White or Black noise?

Pm me if you are, writing a potential blog, views/opinion welcome:approve:

mini cooper (RIP 172)
sorry to jump in but what dose the acoustic valve do and what will taking it out do? thanks

Clio 172 mk2
Lots of threads regarding this valve.....best do a search.

I think the conclusion was that removing it MAY add 1bhp or so somewhere way up the rev range but not really essential to take it off unless fitting aftermartket IK and air feeds etc.

Milltek'd 182
the acoustic valve, as said before...is to meet emmission regs and noise regs in places like sweden. its literally a butterfly valve that opens and closes using the backpressure from the inlet suction. theres also what looks like an electronic servo/switch with id assume is where the ecu tells it to open or close. shall i do the guide here or on another thread? hmmm....

Milltek'd 182
right i'l do it here and if people think its ok then maybe another thread/sticky can come about and i'l do pics

right -

1. jack up car, remove wheel and place to one side
2. remove three (sometime two if one has broken like mine) torx screws - one going from the bumper in the wheel arch into the lining and the others are underneath
3. unclip lining - there are two round clips that will need to be slowly prized out....just keep pulling and they should come (they 'should' be replaced but i didnt need to do mine they held pretty well...so make your own mind up on that) then take out the liner.
4. once in you will see a picture very similar to the second one down on page 1 of this thread. at the top of the picture you can see the inlet, under that there will be the valve going into it (its not in that pic) unclip the electronics from the valve (one grey clip). i then found it easier to take one bolt out of the bracket with the air lines on going to the valve, this ment it can swivel out the way of you undoing the main nut.
5. also in the second picture down you can see a big nut holding the horns on, this also holds the valve on. undo it (13mm iirc), it was on very tight on mine but it does come just be careful!
6. once undone the valve should slide out the inlet pipe. inclip the air lines from the valve and pull the line off so the valve is now free. place to one side.
7. get a screw/nut/anything that fits tightly and block up the pipe (the whole pipe can be removed from the inlet end if you like)
8. screw horns back on and refit liner! job done!!!

make sure you tape the electrical connections and pipe away somewhere where they wont get in the way. and also if you find a stray pipe like i did secure that somewhere too.

hope that helps?!? :)

Last edited:
  Milltek'd 182

nice, that sounds quite subtle, whats it like when you give it some??

its a bit of a rubbish vid, but you can hear how bassy it is. it sounds lovely with a bit of throttle, alot of people that get in my car comment on how nice it sounds without being overly loud. you could be 50 and drive it and still like the way it sounds if that makes sense? although it has to be said, ive never heard any other exhausts in the flesh to compare it to!

Milltek'd 182
On the subject of noise, anyone into White or Black noise?

Pm me if you are, writing a potential blog, views/opinion welcome:approve:

as you have posted this on my thread, i think you should tell me what you mean lol! you like listening to white noise? and ive never heard of black noise... lol

R

rich[182]

right i'l do it here and if people think its ok then maybe another thread/sticky can come about and i'l do pics

right -

1. jack up car, remove wheel and place to one side
2. remove three (sometime two if one has broken like mine) torx screws - one going from the bumper in the wheel arch into the lining and the others are underneath
3. unclip lining - there are two round clips that will need to be slowly prized out....just keep pulling and they should come (they 'should' be replaced but i didnt need to do mine they held pretty well...so make your own mind up on that) then take out the liner.
4. once in you will see a picture very similar to the second one down on page 1 of this thread. at the top of the picture you can see the inlet, under that there will be the valve going into it (its not in that pic) unclip the electronics from the valve (one grey clip). i then found it easier to take one bolt out of the bracket with the air lines on going to the valve, this ment it can swivel out the way of you undoing the main nut.
5. also in the second picture down you can see a big nut holding the horns on, this also holds the valve on. undo it (13mm iirc), it was on very tight on mine but it does come just be careful!
6. once undone the valve should slide out the inlet pipe. inclip the air lines from the valve and pull the line off so the valve is now free. place to one side.
7. get a screw/nut/anything that fits tightly and block up the pipe (the whole pipe can be removed from the inlet end if you like)
8. screw horns back on and refit liner! job done!!!

make sure you tape the electrical connections and pipe away somewhere where they wont get in the way. and also if you find a stray pipe like i did secure that somewhere too.

hope that helps?!? :)

Dave, the liner appears to be in 2 sections - is it the lower section you remove thats about 12-18" going down to the bottom of the bumper ?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Did this on mine today. Definite improvement. Runs smoother and there is better pickup with minimal hesitation.

A nice simple job as well.

b/g 182, meg tourer
yeah that pipe is basically a battery overflow pipe. its open ended but connected to the side/top/back of your battery at the other end if you trace it back.

rich, the acoustic valve is needed to meet stringent countries like swedens noise rules and emmission regs. it isnt needed for the uk. it basically blocks off the feed to the engine at some points in the rev range. the pipe that you need to block up is a direct feed to the inlet (literally a hole into the phlenum no fancy business). just needs to be blocked so there isnt dirty air being sucked in and it also may idle high. there is also a little electrical connector that needs to be removed. i have noticed a definate increase in throttle response especially from when i first put my foot down. definately a well worth while mod and i would do it again if i bought another 182. even if your not sure about it you can always put it back on. takes literally 20mins (for a first timer) to remove it. want me to post a guide? peperami - i doubt there would be an increase in bhp as such (maybe one or two at points in the rev range) but i can notice the difference so thats good enough for me lol

Dave

could you post up some pics of where this valve is situated, as i want to give it a go.