ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accommodation recommendations?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hi folks,

Sorry for barging in on your local area section but I'm after some recommendations and/or suggestions please. :)

Next September, my car club and around 14 members will be travelling to Scotland for a bit of a break and to enjoy some of the great roads up there. As a result we are looking for suitable accommodation in the form of a rental property for the week. Sleeping arrangements would have to cater for 6-7 couples with twin and/or double rooms. We'd also be looking for a games room and ideally a hot tub and swimming pool. In terms of location, we are looking to base ourselves somewhere around the Fort William area. The plan is to arrange some drives and visits around the Western Highlands and Isle of Skye, or somewhere around there.

Does anyone kindly have any ideas, links, recommendations or friends who might be able to help? :) We have around £2k-£2.5k to pay for the accommodation for the week.

I had planned a route and accommodation prior but I was only expecting 4-5 people in total. However, it's proven more popular than I'd expected hence the reason to look for suitable accommodation (and, maybe, a little touch of luxury as well). We don't really want to be staying in hotels and B&B's from one day to the next.

I'd also be grateful of suggestions for driving routes and places to visit. I've a few places in mind that I've visited before but always appreciate a local's input ;)

Thanks in advance for your time,
Andy

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't know of anywhere to stay off the top of my head but if you put up you're planned routes or pm me them I'm more than happy to advise on them, will probably have done them!

Check out the following roads, might give some thoughts on planning routes. I think all of them can be google street-viewed.

A82 - Starts at Glasgow ends at Inverness. Takes in places like Fort William, Loch Lomond and Glen Coe.
A83 - Starts at Tarbet ends at Campbeltown. Can be busy with 30mph day trippers but the Rest and Be Thankful area is worth a visit.
A85 - Starts at Perth ends at Oban.
A830 - Starts at Fort William, ends at Mallaig. Nice coast run this and can get a short ferry to Skye from Mallaig.
B842 - Tarbert to Southend. This is on the Kintyre Peninsula and is usually fairly quiet. Some of it is single track but sone great sections and great coastal villages/scenery.
A87 - Invergarry to Uig, Isle of Skye. Stunning scenery and goes by coastal fishing villages such as Kyle of Lochalsh, Portree and Plockton.
A896 "Bealach Na Ba" (Pass of The Cattle) - Extremely narrow in places but first class scenery if you get the weather. This takes you into Applecross where a smashing lunch can be has at the Inn.

Hope that gives you a few starting points

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Check out the following roads, might give some thoughts on planning routes. I think all of them can be google street-viewed.

A82 - Starts at Glasgow ends at Inverness. Takes in places like Fort William, Loch Lomond and Glen Coe.
A83 - Starts at Tarbet ends at Campbeltown. Can be busy with 30mph day trippers but the Rest and Be Thankful area is worth a visit.
A85 - Starts at Perth ends at Oban.
A830 - Starts at Fort William, ends at Mallaig. Nice coast run this and can get a short ferry to Skye from Mallaig.
B842 - Tarbert to Southend. This is on the Kintyre Peninsula and is usually fairly quiet. Some of it is single track but sone great sections and great coastal villages/scenery.
A87 - Invergarry to Uig, Isle of Skye. Stunning scenery and goes by coastal fishing villages such as Kyle of Lochalsh, Portree and Plockton.
A896 "Bealach Na Ba" (Pass of The Cattle) - Extremely narrow in places but first class scenery if you get the weather. This takes you into Applecross where a smashing lunch can be has at the Inn.

Hope that gives you a few starting points
That's awesome mate, thanks. I do have most of those routes planned already but it's good to get some others, too. I drove some of these a few years ago and loved them; a beautiful part of the world :) Thank you. I'll get on Google Street View and check those that I have not done...

That'll be expensive in the V. :eek:
LOL! Well... I'm not planning on doing it in the Vee... I really hope the Trophy is back by then. :S

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@SharkyUK

I've used the holiday lettings site multiple times (both for holidays with the ex and a larger group booking)

I don't know Scotland at all so you can do your own searches on there as this may be miles out but gives you an idea. Right size/amount of bedrooms and got a pool.

http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/latheronwheel/455194

Should find exactly what you want on there.
Thanks for the link, mate. The lodge you highlighted is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for but - sadly - that particular one is too far from where we want to base ourselves. Even so, I appreciate your time and I'll take a look with some more searches. Thanks again! :)

clio 172 cup
If you search for motorcycle roads in Scotland you may well find some good roads you haven't done and some roads are best kept a secret from car drivers ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hahaha! Luckily the estate manager of the property is a bit of a car nut and says he knows some good roads, but I'll also search as you suggest... cheers :)