ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Accelerator still sticking after cable change.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Hi all.

Changed my accelerator cable the other week as the cable was sticking (common on the ph1 172's I know) so I went to Renault and bought a new cable but it's still sticking and isn't smooth - still feels notchy and sticks at 2-3k revs when you slightly let on the throttle. Blipping the throttle or lifting the pedal usually releases it. I took the cable off the body and kept easing the throttle body revs on and it flipped back to normal revs fine and din 't seem slack or anything. When running the cable through the plastic tube with it not connected to the body it doesn't feel notchy or gritty or anything - it's just not quite fully retracting the cable by about 1 or 2mm. Really getting annoying! Any ideas? I've tried re-routing the cable loads of times now with no joy.

Ben

J

jakm15

strip out the cable and rub some GT85 onto it as this has PTFE in it, it’s on offer at Halfords at the moment £4 I think, then have a look at the unit were the cable connects onto make sure the spring is fine and give it all a good clean and squirt some GT85 too. then if it is possible not sure though remove all the sleeving which the cable runs through give them a thorough clean and spray a good amount of GT85 though them then give them a wipe down, also grease up and clean the pedal as any extra resistance will not help. Finally any points which the cable passes through or any pivots make sure they are all greased up and free. also twist the part where your cable connects on all the way to where it stops and let it go (with the engine off) and then let it go it should flick back quite rapidly if not that is where your problem would be.

Hope this works, let me know.

S1 16v 106 Rallye
Might grease up the accelerator cable. Don't understand why it'd be sticking though when it's brand new? Throttlebody flicks back fine off the cable.

J

jakm15

errrr . . did you re route the cable back the exact same way and use all the sleeves etc? the sleeves may be slightly dirty so id try the gt85 first

S1 16v 106 Rallye
i re-routed it the same way i took it out as far as im aware. tried other routes too. the design is stupid. im tempted to remove all the sound proofing ;/