ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Acceleration with lighter wheels

Hi I'm thinking of changing my 182 wheels to lightweight 15" wheels (maybe TD Pro Race 1.2, OZ F1 from a Phase 1 or Speedline Turini). I'd go for a 195/50/15 tyre size too.

Is the difference in unsprung weight and acceleration noticeable?

I have a 172 cup but unfortunately the previous owner decided to put 182 wheels on it and they're not the lightest!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Acceleration, no IMO. But the car does drive differently

Ok thanks that's interesting, I presume the car feels lighter on its feet does it? Only thing that puts me off is perhaps less grip on 15" compared to 16" wheels

330i. E30 Touring.
Ok thanks that's interesting, I presume the car feels lighter on its feet does it? Only thing that puts me off is perhaps less grip on 15" compared to 16" wheels
There's no better change to make on a 1*2 going from 16's to 15's IMO. Changes them completely.

I’m already impressed with the steering feel and acceleration on Cliosports but if this gets better still with lighter wheels I’m up for getting some. Cheaper tyres appeals too although the range does look worse for 195/50/15 compared with 195/45/16

330i. E30 Touring.
I’m already impressed with the steering feel and acceleration on Cliosports but if this gets better still with lighter wheels I’m up for getting some. Cheaper tyres appeals too although the range does look worse for 195/50/15 compared with 195/45/16
If it's an all year round road car, look no further than Michelin PS3's. If it's a fast road car, AD08R's. If it's a track car, well, you choose there.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Basically everything above is all the advice you need!
15", lightest you can find (I run OZ superleggera, 4.9kg a wheel) and either the Michelin or Yokos Budgie recommends

Gc8

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182FF
Also the standard 182 wheels don't seem to let a lot of air through to the brakes. Not important if you never track the car but if you do it's another excuse to swap them out..

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Reduction in unsprung weight makes the suspension keep the tyre on the road more of the time,

BUT!

Faster acceleration comes form the moment of inertia, which is

''a quantity expressing a body's tendency to resist angular acceleration, which is the sum of the products of the mass of each particle in the body with the square of its distance from the axis of rotation''

basically:
a 8kg 16'' wheel with an 7kg tyre (182 wheel with 205/45/16 Toyo T1R tyre = 15kg total) will have a lower moment of inertia (accelerate faster)
than

a 5kg 15'' wheel with a 9kg tyre (Superleggera with Toyo R888 205/50/15 tyre = 14kg total) which although is lighter it has a higher moment of inertia

it's all about how far the weight is from the axis of rotation when it comes to acceleration, rather than overall weight of the wheel & tyre.