ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS ring cracked, Part no's and advice please

So after high speeds, And abs and serv light coming on, I whipped the drivers side wheel off, The ring is rusty, Moves easily and is cracked.

I haven't checked the passenger side yet, But i *think* Touch wood its ok, That can be changed at a later date anyway.

Can someone link me or PM me so i can give you my numberplate reg, a 1.2 16v 2003 part number to the ABS ring please.

Or shall i try a general motor factors.

And then... Whats the procedure? Ball joints come out, Suspension bolts out, What else? then pull the drive shaft out?

Cheers.

Lionel Richie
2 different rings available for the 1.2 16V

one is something like 22 the other is 44, you need to check

the 22 you can buy, the 44 you can't (ihave them in stock though ;))

PM'd..

Asked Fred on how to do the procedure basically. Anyone else give me brief guide?

Can it be done without taking the drive shaft out?

Lionel Richie
yes it can, undo the lower ball joint and hub nut and pull the hub off the shaft pull off the old ring (if its cracked it will pull off by hand) and gentley tap on the replacement (grease it up)

Cheers Fred, Being a newb i thought the drive end with the teeth was the bit that goes into the box was what needed to come out, but i understand now i can just leave that in and do have the disk and hub nut off.

I haven't counted the teeth, But they where close together so im guessing 44 teeth?

Do i need to torque back up the hub nut or can i get away with a certain amount of turn tight?, Also i guess ill need a scissor ball joint splitter?

Thanks.

Lionel Richie
no need for a balljoint splitter, just undo the 2 bolts holding it to the lower arm (much easier!)

hub nut HAS to be torqued, 275nm

Anybody reccomend a torque wrench that can do the job?

The only thing im missing, Will make this job exspensive tbh..

How much would a garage charge to do the job?

Sunflower & Golf Mk6 BMT
Just buy any branded torque wrench that is capable of over 275nm.

Garage would prob charge an hours labour + parts.

Skoda Fabia vRS
unless your gonna use the torque wrench for other jobs then just get a garage to do it, wont take em any longer than an hour i wouldnt have thought

megane/clio
bit of advice if anyone knows , i need to replace one of these rings on my wifes clio , i've taken the caliper and disc off , undone the hubnut and taken out the two lower ball joint bolts , do i need to undo the other ball joint nut and the two bolts that go into the lower part of the front shock ?

Dodgy one
bit of advice if anyone knows , i need to replace one of these rings on my wifes clio , i've taken the caliper and disc off , undone the hubnut and taken out the two lower ball joint bolts , do i need to undo the other ball joint nut and the two bolts that go into the lower part of the front shock ?

Yes and yes, becareful the shaft doesnt drop out the box though!

ph1 172
may aswell pull the shaft off...easier to fit the abs ring.
change gearbox oil at same time.

Got a ring from Ebay, Got a Renault mech i know to fit it after work hours for £25...

Job done, Apart from ABS not kicking in, Braking feels stronger to in general, Probably a combination of things...

Mechanic was suprised i could get hold of the ring too! Happy days.