ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS Pump/Module Replacement

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Quick question. If I remove the current abs module on my 182 and replace with a working used module, does it need coding or setting up? Or can I just swap, bleed the brakes and all good? Thanks in advance.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I may use a place that reconditions them as at least they can confirm that is the fault. Probably cheaper to use a second hand unit though. If not the module I have some serious electrical fault finding to do!! The current one blows fuses soon as the ignition is switched on. Can't see any other obvious reason for it and everything I have read seems to point towards pump. Fingers crossed!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Not properly yet. I will follow it back from the large connector on the pump and see where it goes! I have used the search engine on here, but not too many threads on the issue. I also cannot use my diagnostic kit as it cannot communicate with the module due to the fuse blowing!! Can only be the module or the wiring I think…….

As Carl says check the wiring from the pump to each sensor, maybe pull the harness of the pump and have a look as it could be wet or have pins snapped. These are free things, if that doesn't work just get it on Clip as it will come up with ABS CPU fault if it is the pump.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Will clip connect to the pump if the fuse is blown? I am assuming it will struggle to communicate like my diagnostic kit, which has ABS specific software.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Will try pulling the plug and then connecting the fuse. Good idear. That should isolate the fault to the module hopefully.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Pulled the plug and switched on with a new fuse and it did not blow. Is that a fairly good indication it's the module at fault? @barnesautos
I am assuming certain elements of the wiring won't have any power running through it with the plug disconnected.

172 Ph1
Pulled the plug and switched on with a new fuse and it did not blow. Is that a fairly good indication it's the module at fault? @barnesautos
I am assuming certain elements of the wiring won't have any power running through it with the plug disconnected.

Yes : That test concludes that the ABS module is at fault .
Now if the ECU were to be detached from the hydraulic block , you could even test it further by just connecting the ecu back up on its own and then see if the fuse pops , this determining if it is actually one of the hydraulic valves shorting out or if the Ecu is causing the short .
Either way - I think you've nailed it now and these units are cheap,

Following on from the above once you get the used pump you don't need to remove the old one to make sure that its definitely the pump at fault. Just remove the Harness and plug that into the used pump you've received, its a bit of a tight squeeze but its doable, that way if it doesn't solve your issue you can return the pump you've purchased and you've not messed about changing out the pumps which is a bit of a ball ache to do.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Excellent. Thank you for your posts. I will source a used module and update with the result!

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Replaced the abs unit and fuse is still bloody blowing! Anyone got any other ideas? UCH? Going to have a good look round the wiring, but well fed up with the car now. May even break.