ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

abs probs!

have no idea why my abs isnt working.

was wondering if anyone could tell me what i should start checking after the fuse which is fine. and ways about to check them.

cheers

Pete

how would i go about checking/replacing them?

if replacing what sort of cost and how hard is it to do?

cheers

the sensor or ABS is in the hub and reads the toothed ring on the driveshaft on teh wheel hub side.

Getting them out can be a b*****d, and the prices of them are about 120 per sesor.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

wheel sensors are the most commen problem.you would be best to have a diagnostic check at a main dealer(most will do a quick computer check for about £40) and go from there.the wheel sensors are exspensive so it would be best to get it checked rather than wasting your money.check each wheel sensor connection and do a resistance check across each sensor terminals.1.6ohms is a typical good value but i would have to check for sure.also check the condition of the target teeth on the front driveshafts and rear discs

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Was just gonna say that, surly the warning light for ABS would be on if it detected a fault.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

if a fault is detected or if the abs computer isnt working then the warning light should be permanatly on.

after checkin today, in fact the abs warning light is only on when i turn the ignition once and on start up, as soon as the engines running it goes off again. and the ABS deff does not work!!

any other ideas?

assume a diagnostic is still the way but cost £60 - £70 at my reno garage as asked earlier 2day!

cheers

Pete

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

very strange.the computer must work due to the warning light going out but it cant be registering any faults due to the warning light not coming back on again.why do you think your abs isnt work?

Volvo S60 T5

assume a diagnostic is still the way but cost £60 - £70 at my reno garage as asked earlier 2day!

Bloody hell that works out at around 160.00 an hour!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Book time is 0.4hr to check car with xr25 or clip(Diagnostic systems)

When I get the odd non-renault car to fix with abs faults done a couple...I use a small digital osilliscope, just put it accross the sensor wires and spin the wheel you should get a pattern on the screen that looks similar to the toothed gear, its an easy check to do does any of you mates have one they could let you use for a bit.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

what the wheels stayed locked until the car stopped or they locked for breif seconds whilst braking?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

ok sounds like you have a problem(if the wheels lock for just brief seconds under heavy braking then thats not nes a problem).you may have a computer or hydraulic problem there.normally if its a wheel sensor fault the abs is poor/erractic but it still works(if the warning light isnt on).the only time it shouldnt work is if the warning light is on all the time due to the computer registering a fault.sounds like you need a diagnostic check on this one im afraid.