ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS light STILL on after replacing all sorts!

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Ok I've searched a plenty with no luck. I've now replaced my ABS sensors, brake pedal switch (and adjusted it correctly) and my ABS rings are fine. The ABS light still comes on about 50% of the time, only going off after an ignition key off/on. What else could it possibly be?!!

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
I've plugged in my RS Tuner to read off the error codes yes, but whenever I've done it, the ABS light hasn't been on so there wasn't any relevant error code. I have the RS Tuner and laptop in the car now so I can plug it in the next time the light is on. Hopefully it will show a DTC.

Thinking maybe worth trying a steering angle sensor next?

If you've got money to burn you could just keep throwing parts at it!! Im not sure how reliable RS tuner is for codes, never used it. But previous faults should be stored, if you had clip you would be able to see them.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Certainly haven't got money to burn. Just replacing bits that I get recommended to replace on here. I don't see any reason why RS Tuner wouldn't give accurate DTC information, it simply reads the PCM like any other kit I guess. I managed to plug it in while the ABS light was on earlier, and I got two relevant DTC's:

"Vehicle speed sensor"
"Brake information fault"

Maybe one of the rear ABS sensors isn't right?

M

mini-valver

Get it plugged in properly, RStuner seems crude. A proper diagnostic KTS system will read stored faults.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Get it plugged in properly, RStuner seems crude. A proper diagnostic KTS system will read stored faults.

Ok, will get it plugged in somewhere. I just don't like paying garages to do work thats all, especially when I thought the RS Tuner would be a fairly useful tool for reading off DTC's. It does seem a bit crude though as you say, especially when compared to the stuff I use at work where you get the raw hex data off the can bus etc. Seems like the RS Tuner may not be telling the whole story.

Also, wouldn't the ABS DTC's be stored on the ABS module rather then the ECU?

"Vehicle speed sensor"
"Brake information fault"

RSTuner reads the Engine ECU DTC's just as the official dealer CLIP tool. However it doesn't read the ABS fault codes. Only Engine ECU fault codes.
For that you will need a / our Clip tool.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
RSTuner reads the Engine ECU DTC's just as the official dealer CLIP tool. However it doesn't read the ABS fault codes. Only Engine ECU fault codes.
For that you will need a / our Clip tool.

Thanks Henk, I appreciate that.

I have CANalyzer and a Kvaser Leaflight, would these work on the Clio to get the error codes straight from the CAN bus and/or ABS module?

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Just borrowed an Omiscan from work that seemed to work. It pulled down one DTC from the ABS module, steering angle sensor. So that explains it then hopefully.

Thanks for the help.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Yes I have had the wheel off recently actually, but the ESP and ABS lights were on long before I did that, and I think I set up the steering angle sensor correctly? Making sure the little yellow/black dot was correct and the other little pointer on the bottom right?

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Mine had this before I got it. Cost about 350 for a new sensor and setup from Renault.

Haha well I certainly won't be paying that!! Worst case I live with it (don't like ESP anyway), best case I buy a low mileage steering angle sensor for about £20 and set it up myself. Hopefully that should do the trick.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
Does the ABS work? Maybe the light just needs turning off!

My ABS works when the light is off (about 50% of the time) and doesn't work when the light is on. ESP light is on 100% of time and doesn't work 100% of the time. Which is all correct.

I think the problem was you needed the Renault clip to set it up. I think it went to a non Renault garage first and they couldn't do anything with it. Not too sure as the guy sorted it before I bought it.

2118'd Iceberg Ph2 172
I think the problem was you needed the Renault clip to set it up. I think it went to a non Renault garage first and they couldn't do anything with it. Not too sure as the guy sorted it before I bought it.

Ooohhh that doesn't sound good. I hope that isn't the case!