ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS light and driveshafts

172 y reg flamer
had a quick search but not found too much.

has there ever been a connection between the ABS light coming on and driveshafts bein naff?

i need atleast 1 shaft maybe 2 and the ABS light has been flickin on and off randomly. wondering if there would possibly be a link between the 2:rolleyes:

MERCEDES CLS AMG
If the ABS rings on the driveshafts have broke or come off this will cause the ABS warning light to come on as the sensor on the hub will have nothing to communicate with.

The same applies to the rear of the vehicle but the ABS rings are built onto the discs. If your speedo still works it will more than likely be the front shafts at fault. If the speedo reading is taken off a mechanical speedo drive in the gearbox it could be the front or rear ABS rings / sensors at fault.

172 y reg flamer
speedo still works fine and front drivers shaft is well and truly knackered.

ABS light is intermitant atm, currently off

clio 182 black /gold
My drive shaft sounds like it is knackared. I found the CV boot off a few weeks ago and yesterday it started to make a strange noise, and now the ABS light is on. Is this linked?

Clio
Where did the boot strap go when the boot came off. They tend to go around the ABS ring and damage the sensor. Also covers the ring and sensor in grease and lets all sorts of road crap into the CV joint, so yes the two are more than likely related.

2000 Clio 172
Did anything come to light about this? My car is making a grinding noise when I drive, garage suspect it might be the drive shaft, but the interesting this was the ABS light came on at the same time.

Thanks

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
The rear ABs rings aren't built onto the disc/hub assembly, they are an interference fit and if the rear hubs have been disturbed the rings sometimes stay loose for a while til a bit of rust builds up to hold them in place. If the shaft is grinding its likely that the cv joint is seizing.