ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ABS delete ideas

Evo
So on the 182 we haven't had any abs for years, front excitor rings were different to rears when the engine was converted so got used to no abs feel of brakes, actually prefere it on track. Anyway put all original rings on and it still doesn't work, no problem though.

Thing is everytime I bleed it air gets locked in the abs pump and I need to plug it into Renault clip or similar to prime the pump clean, having a track car I can't bleed without paying for diagnostics is a royal pain in the arse. I know most will suggest a 172 cup setup but this is proving difficult to source!

So my idea: Ph1 master cylinder with the 4 individual outlets directly attached to the four delivery pipes which originally come out of the abs pump, therefore bypassing it. Okay a few questions for people with the knowledge.

1) does the abs pump control the front/rear bias or is there a mechanical backup?

2) will it affect pedal effort or travel adversely?

3) is there an easier way to do this?

Help me out people, thanks!

phase 1 flamer 172
Pretty sure my phase 1 dosnt have a bias valve underneath and it is controlled by the abs, how about fitting a manually adjusted adjustable valve?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ben the ABS pump controls the bias! If you do what you say you will always lock the rear wheels.

I did a lot of research into getting rid of the ABS on my car and the only safe and certain way is to fit the 172 cup set up!

Evo
It's never that easy ay, perhaps it may be easier to just get the abs working and simply remove the fuse for track. You don't need a speedo on track.

If I have a 1.4 non abs control unit but with 182 rings front and rear ( same number of teeth ) it should still work right?

GSXR + KDX220
Removing the fuse will upset the balance big time, and you'll find it swapping ends in no time. I believe it makes it 50/50

Evo
Hmm had the fuse out on the 197 and it's deffo biased to the front.

I'm sure there's some form mechanical backup...

Evo
I need really aggressive pads in the front and cheap halfrauds pads in the rears then lol?

Bollox I need a cup...

It does help lol! That's what I did in the clio at the end of the season fit some £7 rear pads with PF01's in the front

Yeah just pop up a wanted thread for the bits. I did have a second 172 cup master cylinder but I think I left it at Fred's the other month

172, Tiguan
I run with the ABS pump unplugged on mine at the moment (got the stop, ABS, handbrake and Serv light on). Fronts lock up before the rears and it was great on a recent trackday. It's a PH1 though if that makes any difference. Plan to fit a switch so i can turn it on and off in the near future.

clio sold :(
Mine has all these lights on !!! had new abs rings and had the brakes bled still got the lights on!! Later investigation the garage has told me its my passenger rear wheel speed sensor?!?! Have you checked these??
Garage says all other 3 wheels show the correct speed and my left rear is showing 0mph so the car gets confused and turns off the abs?!?!

Evo
I've got abs and service light on so I know there's a fault just always suspected the different rings were to fault.

I read about a chap who had a converted non sport ( as mine ) and removed and pump and used a KA bias valve to reduce rear power. I may just ph1 the master cylinder and see how it goes. If the rears are too strong I'll just fit a demon tweeks bias job lol.

People still want silly money for cup parts, especially unique model bits.

Evo
Update: got a complete cup setup from master cylinder to calipers including bias valve going on soon, winner!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Update: got a complete cup setup from master cylinder to calipers including bias valve going on soon, winner!
Updates and a opinions with a few pictures Ben would be great as I have the same kit to go on with a Cup racer bias valve and lines.

Good luck!

tadas

ClioSport Club Member
  RS Clio 172 Ph1
Lol, remember the thread that I made saying what the xxxx previous owner put drum brakes in the back?

Yeah it is a phase 1 RS clio 2, and with drums in the back and normal ones in front, without abs, it finally makes sense.

Evo
In the end fitted a full cup setup from master cylinder, lines and bias valve, just kept theabs plugged in with no pipes and speedo still works.