ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Vague Question.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Morning.

Our estate agency uses a web based appllication to manage our listings, update photographs, share information, add clients, match properties, etc.

Systems similar to this, are they built around plugins and software which already exists or are the majority hand built from the ground up.

I know its pretty vague, I'm just intrigued in to how such complex systems are created.

Thanks
Sam

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Most just use some sort of content management software.

Look at things like Drupal or Joomla for the budget end of the market.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Pardon my ignorance, but what is CRM software?

Also, these Joomla/Drupal based sites, are they totally customisable, as in the way you can make them look and function?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Pardon my ignorance, but what is CRM software?

Customer relationship management, its just a generic term for software that helps you manage customer data.

Also, these Joomla/Drupal based sites, are they totally customisable, as in the way you can make them look and function?

I dont know I would go as far as "totally" customisable as you have a framework you are working within, but to all intents and purposes yes they are, especially from the looks point of view as you can create you own templates and stylesheets.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I have zero experience with plugins. Perhaps I should begin some reading.

I have good undersdtanding of HTML, some jQuery and a snippet of PHP.

If I wanted to create a similar system, do I stand a chance?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
This is a basic example of a Joomla website:

http://www.stone-automotive.com/index.php/clio-rs-products/clio-rs2-inlet

In that case James can manage the site himself by logging into a backend system that allows him to alter what is on the pages and upload pictures etc.

Its about a day or twos work for someone vaguely competent with IT to setup from scratch by the time you register a domain and arrange hosting and then customise some templates and setup some basic examples and then give the end user some basic tuition in how to update, although Im sure that someone who does them day in day out could do it in a lot less.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Thanks Chip.

I've used some pretty basic CMS stuff in the past, like Cushy CMS... but thats the absolute basics.

I suppose if I wanted to create a system like we use at work, its going to take a hell of a lot more. It would need to allow for people to log in to a personal account online, say people who are selling a house and update images on the website, details. Track appointments which have been made and things like that.

I think a much more bespoke system will be required for something as technical as that.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thats all just bread and butter stuff for most of the off the shelf systems mate, starting with a blank sheet of paper to create you own system completely from scratch with decent functionality is going to take thousands of hours realistically.

Evo 5 RS
Ours has taken 6 months to build from floor up, but that's also with being busy with other things. It's mega time consuming and if you don't have anyone in house that can do it, will cost you a pretty sum

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
The problem is, I'm a bit of a control freak/OCD type of designer.

I will want something to function and look in an exact way, not just settle with something that is there. Any good sites to get information on Joomla/Drupal?

It's going to a be a relatively large project, so there will be funding and time spent on a day-to-day basis.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ours has taken 6 months to build from floor up, but that's also with being busy with other things. It's mega time consuming and if you don't have anyone in house that can do it, will cost you a pretty sum

Its not unusual for big companies to spend a 7 figure sum building this sort of thing from scratch, Ive worked on a few project of that scale over the years.

Its all a question of budget really.

Start from scratch and ultimately you have more control, but if its a really big site and you only have a small team and it takes you 3 years to get to market its potentially going to impact if its actually any use to you still or not.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The problem is, I'm a bit of a control freak/OCD type of designer.

I will want something to function and look in an exact way, not just settle with something that is there. Any good sites to get information on Joomla/Drupal?

It's going to a be a relatively large project, so there will be funding and time spent on a day-to-day basis.

By relatively large do you mean millions or are you talking relatively large for a small business?

If you gave an idea of budget people might be better placed to advise you.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Jesus, not millions. LOL.

In the region of £20-25k. Or would that not get me anywhere?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Jesus, not millions. LOL.

In the region of £20-25k. Or would that not get me anywhere?

Starting completely from scratch with just PHP or Java etc and not using any off the shelf products at all it wouldnt get you very far at all, you are only talking 6-8 weeks or so development really if hiring a contractor with that sort of budget by the time you have agency fees etc.

But as an amount to spend customising a Joomla or similar site, it should get you good results.

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
I like designing, and it's what I'm good at.

So, effectively I would want to create the whole of the design, the UI, the imagery, information etc. I would need a web developer(s) to integrate some sort of CMS, jazzy system to tie it all together and make it actually function.

A friend of mine has good experience with Drupal based websites, I just need something which can be customise/added to.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Drupal can allow that sort of setup anyway, if your friend is a decent developer in the first place.

I <3 Joomla lol! I always use it there's plenty of extensions to extend functionality. Since your going to have a sort of "community" in the way of people logging in and seeing appointments and their houses for sale or what not I would suggest Joomla with Community Builder component it makes it a lot more flexible in the terms of user logins and adding things to their back end preferences

http://extensions.joomla.org/

Community builder:

http://www.joomlapolis.com/

Community builder extensions and functionality addons...

http://extensions.joomla.org/search?q=community+builder

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Cheers chapster, I see your only in Newton-Le-Willows, I'm based in Warrington. Small world.

I will take a look at those links you have given me.

Thanks

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Yeah, there will be a meet soon enough. I don't have a Clio anymore though.... like 90% of the people on this site LOL.