ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A possible suspension problem, any advice appreciated!

RS 172
I've just put my car up on the ramp at wrk to have a look to see if i could find something that is causing a knocking under hard acceleration.
Exaust doesn't appear to be moving, bottom engine mount seems ok, with my limited knowledge i couldn't see anything that would be causing a knocking.

But...
One of the technicians noticed there was a bit of movement in the n/s/f wheel, when lifting the wheel up from underneath there is a bit of movement. Looking at it from the top mount under the bonnet it moves up about 15-20mm at most. Could there be a worn bush somewhere or something else causing it??

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
Mark

You mean the top mount thing which holds the damper in place under the bonnet moves up and down when you lift and lower the wheel?

BMW M135i
Thats just how they are. If it only knocks under hard acceleration then its 99.9% going to be engine mounts.

M

Mattystan

theres a few renault modications to the 172s for knocking under hard acceleration the front suspension gets draged bak by the torque going through the front wheels so it knocks on the chassie so if you take your front suspension out and grind out abt 4mm out that can stop it. also some of the early 172s have a longer exhaust manifold and that can hit on the sub frame under hard acceleration:)

RS 172
Any more advice...?
Not sure if i'm up to taking taking the suspension out! How difficult is it??

RS 172
Right couldn't get this sorted over the weekend and don't want to drive the car with the problem, i've looked through the guides but can't see anything.
Could someone give me a quick lesson in how to remove the suspension on a 2002 172 please?
Thanks!

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
If my memory serves me ok:

Loosen off slightly the top cap under bonnet.
Jack up + remove wheel.
Undo the two long hub bolts holding the bottom on. These might be a bit rusted and may need hammering out once they're undone.
Support strut with hand and undo top cap completely with other hand.
You then need to lower it and twist it about to get it over the brakes and out of the arch - This bit's a b*****d!

Think that's about right anyway!

EDIT - There's a fubar guide here - http://www.fubarnet.com/fitting_springs.html

Last edited: