ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A little bit worried about what police have told me!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Chip, have you got any videos of that in action, it looks frikin mental lol

Not really mate, only got this one from mallory, but I was on knackered rainsport road rear tyres as I damaged one of my dries earlier in the day, so its massively massively off the pace in this video as a result, and it was when I was on very low boost, was only making about 350bhp, so about 200bhp short of full power (was finishing running the engine in).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S8O-Eoaprw

Still kind of shows it being a bit of a handful/laugh though, even without a big chunk of the power.

GW Clio 200
Bit off topic, but have you seen the Andy Forest Subaru he uses for his quarter miles? I believe that's 'road legal' too! I would have posted a link but I can never seem to manage on iPad. Plenty on YouTube - that thing is RAPID!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Bit off topic, but have you seen the Andy Forest Subaru he uses for his quarter miles? I believe that's 'road legal' too! I would have posted a link but I can never seem to manage on iPad. Plenty on YouTube - that thing is RAPID!

Yeah, same with the gobstopper from RCM

the never say never merchants want to look at places in the EU like germany ..... and then think again ....

there is every possibility it could happen , however even when we lived there there are ways round it , but you might not want to go down this route ,but the germans are happy if they get told they won't get paid out on insurance they sue the insurance company and make them prove the exhaust/K&N or whatever caused the accident ...........

there are ALOT of downsides though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
the never say never merchants want to look at places in the EU like germany ..... and then think again ....

there is every possibility it could happen , however even when we lived there there are ways round it , but you might not want to go down this route ,but the germans are happy if they get told they won't get paid out on insurance they sue the insurance company and make them prove the exhaust/K&N or whatever caused the accident ...........

there are ALOT of downsides though.

The germans have been that way a very long time so have the infastrcture, to convert every MOT station in the UK to be a TUV approval spec test centre instead would be as near to impossible in the short term as you can imagine, especially given that many of them operate out of premises that arent even upto the latest basic MOT spec, and only exist still due to "grandfather rights" and would stand NO chance of meeting the new requirements if a german style system were in place.

Thats going to mean a lot of closed MOT centres and hence a lot of angry voters, so it would be a brave politician who made the move, especially considering the many billions it would cost.

I personally think it might go the other way, bring in the legislation to make many types of mods on new cars illegal or restricted to approved components (ie TUV style like germany), but dont even attempt to include it as part of the MOT formally, so it is the owners responsibility instead, and let the insurers and police be the ones who pick up on it (insurer after a crash, police in roadside checks)

I do agree personally with the concept of TUV, I think we should have it, but I can see some huge logistical problems with getting there!

TUV was what i was thinking , and yes it would be new cars onwards , but i do agree that its gotta happen ........... at the moment hid kits stuck into cars will fail the mot anyway , hids need , auto level , and washer jets working else they fail ....

tuv causes alot of issues ,and the cars we had out there german registered we kinda got round things (modded german reged elise) however got to the point of keeping cars uk registered , which when we wanted them lhd became a pain .

Ibiza FR Edition
I only ask as I ran a seriously modified ph1 and was pulled twice by traffic, never did I get a mention on any issues. At all. Be polite, be understanding, even have a laugh if you can. Just be a decent, grown up human being and 99% of the time you'll be fine,
This, being rude will get you nowhere..

its complete bullshit, just think how many companies would go out of business leaving hundreds of thousands of people out of work and screwing up the economy more than it already is

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
These anti-modified car rules were meant to come in at the start of this year,
the fact it keeps getting delayed would suggest maybe they've realised that not only will it difficult to implement,
but destroy quite a lucrative industry that makes millions a year and keeps 1000s of people in work.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
that vid is awesome chip. just lol at the drift and the flames... so much want.

back ot... what about resprays? is non standard paint gonna be illegal? or stickers?

... id be in trouble, doubt police would believe renault made a glittery gold colour and then plastered it in stickers :eek:

what about R26.Rs?

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Rubbish, im a tester and we have had no info on this, only recent update is the all the crap las year about new criteria (air bag lamps, tow bars ec) still hasnt come in yet and no date is set.

MCS R56
Nonsense, that's not for them to tell you anyway!

Exactly. An MOT is to rate the vehicle's roadworthiness, emissions and safety. Why would non standard wheels or a stereo automatically deem it a fail if there was nothing wrong with them? BS. Maybe a stupid exhaust would be a fail or lights that are not too bright etc.

Clio 172
you do know having an overly loud exhaust is already illegal? lol

I got pulled for that and having some bulbs out (eBay leds suck) all he said was "that exhaust much be illegal, get that looked at"

again. too many lost jobs. modifications won't get ruled out for a long time. the other day they we 're ruling to open the case and that failed not to change the law immediately

Clio 172
yeah the Db. don't ask me how because if a Lamborghini is legally loud yet a Clio is too loud. I don't know. it's stupid. try mot'ing a really loud Clio and it'll likely fail.

we all know decats are illegal.

The MOT changes are already in place and have been since 1st Jan 2012. Anything that doesn't comply with the changes during 2012 will still pass but will be flagged as an advisory. From 1st Jan 2013 anything that was flagged as advisory will now mean a fail. HID could still pass if fitted in conjunction with washers and a self leveling system.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/mot-changes

Genuine question for the OP, were you driving like a total weapon or hanging about in a car park? Did you get out the car with a "what blud" kind of attitude?

No I was driving down a side road on my way to the local petrol station to help my girlfriend who's tyre has just burst! I wasn't speeding, acting franticly or causing any trouble (I respect my clio!), I forgot to mention he gave me a ticket (£30) for my HID's (I have non-projector headlamps, I have the anti-glare H7R fitted) and another ticket for my back box (causing excessive noise, £30). He was also very rude towards me and I think he labelled me as the "badboy racer" type of chap, which I am far from, I like to mod my car and see my final results, this is why I like CS.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I got stopped in my taxi a couple of years ago in North Wales for driving with front fog lights on. I got out to ask him what his problem was and took it on the chin about driving with fog lights on. But while talking he spotted my LED front side light bulbs. He said they were illegal and that by fitting them I had altered the electrical circuitry of the vehicle. He wasn't taking no for an answer. I've never heard such a load of bullshit. Since then I've fitted them to the Clio and the taxi I have now and both passed the MOT with them fitted. Some police officers seem to make their own interpretations of the law.

completely agree, I would of understood if I was acting a big A hole, but I was up to nothing harmful on my way to help my girlfriend out. He also called my girlfriends KA s**t (which I agree with) but aren't the police meant to keep their opinions to them-self and not use them against you?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I got stopped in my taxi a couple of years ago in North Wales for driving with front fog lights on. I got out to ask him what his problem was and took it on the chin about driving with fog lights on. But while talking he spotted my LED front side light bulbs. He said they were illegal and that by fitting them I had altered the electrical circuitry of the vehicle. He wasn't taking no for an answer. I've never heard such a load of bulls**t. Since then I've fitted them to the Clio and the taxi I have now and both passed the MOT with them fitted. Some police officers seem to make their own interpretations of the law.

You a taxi driver Mark?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The police are humans, as such some of them are complete idiots, and the nature of the job seems to mean its a bigger than average percentage amount who fall into that category.
There are some exceptions though, They aren't all bad.

Clio 200
Lag isnt bad TBH once in the boost threshold, but it doesnt spool properly till 4500rpm or so.
And TBH it pulled well enough off boost that in normal driving you didnt ever need the turbo, was only if you wanted to go loopy quick, because of all the work done to the engine to make it so efficient it still pulled like an XE nova does before it came on boost in the first place, ie about the same performance a 172 anyway.
Plus it revved to 8500rpm as it was on solid lifters, steel rods, forged pistons, uprated valves etc, so it meant that although boost didnt happen to 4500rpm, that still gave you a very useful 8500rpm window.

Its worse on the new engine, as I dont have as many revs available now, but im planning on adding a supercharger this winter to bring the turbo on a bit sooner.

So, where will you sit? :D

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Surely HIDs are "illegal" anyway out of projector lamps as they are an MOT failure. That has always been the case.