ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A damn good thrashing!

Zetec YO!!!!!
Just finished a night shift and on the way home took a detour and gave the cup a bit of a thrashing. Now is it just me but afterwards i felt guilty that i have thrashed it, does anyone else get this? :eek:

albi 197
lol i did the same this morning, usually do it on a sunday morning after work as well. I feel paranoid more than guilty. I don't excessively speed, but I just feel like I'm committing a sin by hitting 7.5krpm in 3rd. I feel guilty because I know I shouldn't be pissing money up the wall, but thats effectively what I do every weekend lol.

Done same last night in the 200, 11pm and roads were quiet, hero switch pressed to on position and listened for the gear change beep in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th...

RS RIP
I feel bad when i have not thrashed it ; thinking it might go "lazy" once.. I have a sort of rule that every time i run it , i have to redline it at least a couple of times. Only with a nice warm/hot engine ofcourse.

It's good for cleaning valves etc. you know , + keeping the engine "loose" :approve:

RS RIP
F4R engine's supposably almost never have a headgasket failure, rare to happen. Cold engine thrash will help to get there yep

182/ 172 Cup
I used to feel bad, they can take a thrashing (I hope) I don't pay all that money servicing the **** to drive her nice all the time ;)

182/ 172 Cup
^^^ saying that I never change as late as 7.5k, more like 6.5, the cup doesn't like to rev like my old 182 used to.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I don't feel bad at all.... It's what it was made for.

And kristian, if your cup won't rev past 6.5k, there's something wrong with it.

RS RIP
I don't feel bad at all.... It's what it was made for.

And kristian, if your cup won't rev past 6.5k, there's something wrong with it.

would think so ! And people, with these engines you have to rev it to get the optimal torque in the next gear too !

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I feel guilty not using it properly tbh I come home from work on a Friday and my 182s just sittin there askin to be used after not movin all week so late at night on the weekends is about doin some hoonin :)

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I used to feel guilty caning my Mini Cooper S, but all the other cars have had no mercy.
I used to love thrashing my mini cooper s, the gear change felt sturdy, engine used to engine whining all the way to 7k :) I can't wait to get another supercharger

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
Don't get me wrong, it made a brilliant noise, but there was just something that made me feel like I shouldn't have been doing it. Didn't have that problem with my Saxo Vts (x2)/182/VX220/S2000 etc.

Dare I say it felt like I was thrashing a 'girls car' not designed for it lol.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
You feel guilty about driving a car as it was designed? Weird. I drive the wheels off all my cars and makes me warm inside not guilty. Lol driving enthusiasts seem to be thin on the ground these days going of peeps on here : (.

Tiger R6 / Saxo Vts
The Mini just didn't feel like it was designed for thrashing - the runflats/suspension made it feel like it bounced off stuff rather then absorbing it like it should so the car got thrown all over the place. To me it felt more like a car that had been tuned from one not designed for that sort of thing. Unlike all the other cars I've had which have felt well up for thrashing - all the french hot hatches I've had have lapped it a good caning and I've not felt the least bit guilty about it.

The same with the VX220, and the Honda - the vtec engine just goaded you on all the time I found.

200 with booost
LOL, my 200 has only heard the beep in 1st and 2nd.

Didnt know you had a 200 anyway?! Thought you were Ph2 Crew.

I can confirm that the light and bleep comes on in 5th too but as yet its never come on in 6th, no matter how hard its pushed. :0)

Zetec YO!!!!!
Im glad im not the only one, but i suppose they where designed to take a degree of abuse my mates gt4 lives its entire life on boost sideways!
My old VTR and Zetec-s where shown no mercy whenever i was in them but i just feel i need to treat the cup with a bit more respect.

RS RIP
Okay , look at MarkCup's car as an example to all you worrying lot, treating your cars like old people do. His car has been thrashed around all kinds of tracks + streets for 100,000 + miles !!! This engine seems to get faster with aging. Yes because it get's its' tits ragged off a lot :)

Clio 172
I like unwinding and givin the 172 a good blast every now and then. When the roads are empty and im goin work at 6am is the perfect opportunity

Jap Box
I give mine a good one every sunday morning on the way to work, everytime I say I wont as it ruins my MPG but it just gets tedious then otherwise. I always end up getting to work early then too :( fel bad after doing it though because I know somethings going to explode soon enough and I cant be helping it. Plus its only a 1.2 so it doesnt do much, just helps me get to 70 faster :rasp:

The RS Clios can take the punishment, they seem to just get stronger/quicker with mileage and usage. Engine wise at least, the trim still falls off.

HBT 172 Cup
I feel bad when i have not thrashed it ; thinking it might go "lazy" once.. I have a sort of rule that every time i run it , i have to redline it at least a couple of times. Only with a nice warm/hot engine ofcourse.

It's good for cleaning valves etc. you know , + keeping the engine "loose" :approve:

AMEN. F4R's love to be thrashed imo. Mine gets a constant pasting everytime its out gets better and better, uses no oil, no water and doesnt smoke.

TLDR: put your foot down more, it wont hurt it, just your wallet :D

RB182cup&golf gti
regularly feel guilty but then soon forget and do it again and again! have been like this with every car I've driven hard!

It's then only car I've ever had that regularly sees the red line.

It's not my fault, the car BEGS me to do it. She loves it too. I can tell by the noise she makes.

frozen white clio172
just nipped out for electric and some lad in a corsa c sri decided he fancied his chances, i was doin 30 in 5th along he came i let him get 1 and a half lengths along side me and i dropped it to 2nd and away i went he pulled back in and disappeared in the distance within seconds, owned the car for a week and it puts a smile on my face so much. so getting back to topic thrashin the clio is what it was built for although takin it to the limiter isnt good it does sound good :)

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
just nipped out for electric and some lad in a corsa c sri decided he fancied his chances, i was doin 30 in 5th along he came i let him get 1 and a half lengths along side me and i dropped it to 2nd and away i went he pulled back in and disappeared in the distance within seconds, owned the car for a week and it puts a smile on my face so much. so getting back to topic thrashin the clio is what it was built for although takin it to the limiter isnt good it does sound good :)

Nothing wrong with taking it to the limiter once warm...