ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A Charge of 25% of my policy for 6hp...?!

172 cup
Just phoned my insurance company to check how much it'd be for a remap to be added (Rs Tuner)... a charge of 25% of the policy!
Even the person I was speaking to was surprised, but apparently there is a minimum charge for any ECU modifications (calculated in percentage of policy)...
I was expecting £50ish, so thought I'd post this to let people know how expensive it can be!

172 cup
Haven't yet... but I always declare mods, so debating whether I should just wait until the renewal!

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Was that based on the hp gain or purely because it was an ecu mod?

You'll be damn lucky to get 6hp out of an RST remap!

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
I'd wait until renewal if you really wanted to put that mod on.

Who you insured with by the way?

Polo + Micra
i paid about that for about 10x the increase lol

it's up to you what you do (i wouldn't bother with a n/a remap) but sound like you need a new insurance company

172 cup
i paid about that for about 10x the increase lol

it's up to you what you do (i wouldn't bother with a n/a remap) but sound like you need a new insurance company

It is ridiculous... but they were easily the cheapest when I got it, I think it's more the fact that it's mid policy...

I know the gains/£ are shocking, but I'll be keeping this car for a while, so wanted to 'freshen it up' a bit.

Polo + Micra
sorry mate i meant wouldn't bother telling them you have had a remap with an n/a car.

172 cup
Ah... I'm with you now! Fair enough, but I've asked for a quote now... so it's not even an option (wasn't anyway though)

Arctic 182 + yozza
dear me, all you people who 'wouldn't bother'

so say it's your unlucky day, you rear end someone, they die/have life changing injuries. the entire claim is worth 1million they take your car apart (oh they will on such a high value claim) and find out the map has been modified and refuse indemnity under your policy. they have an RTA interest to pay, they will satisfy all third party claims and then look to you for the money, you dont have 1million, they take you to court, you tell the judge the same thing, they review your bank records e.t.c. and work out a weekly/monthly payment back to your insurers for the rest of your life.

i'd rather declare the map to be honest!

Arctic 182 + yozza
in any event, that's a silly price.

my remap with admiral on my old car cost £9 to add (i still have the paperwork if you dont believe me!)

172 cup
I completely agree... that's why I'm debating whether to wait for the renewal or just bite the bullet and get it done now. Definitely not worth the risk!

Stagecoach Ticket
dear me, all you people who 'wouldn't bother'

so say it's your unlucky day, you rear end someone, they die/have life changing injuries. the entire claim is worth 1million they take your car apart (oh they will on such a high value claim) and find out the map has been modified and refuse indemnity under your policy. they have an RTA interest to pay, they will satisfy all third party claims and then look to you for the money, you dont have 1million, they take you to court, you tell the judge the same thing, they review your bank records e.t.c. and work out a weekly/monthly payment back to your insurers for the rest of your life.

i'd rather declare the map to be honest!

I used to work in claims i saw some monstor claims and never saw a car be combed like that to find out that you have mapped your ecu you could have to wack it on the reader which would be giving off all kinds of faults anyway if u had a life ending accident. I dnt see how you would ever get caught out on a map

Golf GTD Mk7
Would have to be the most anal company to check that thoroughly tbqh.

That said, the cost is rediculous. Greenlight only charge for the admin cost of adding it to the policy. Around £25 from memory.

Arctic 182 + yozza
I used to work in claims i saw some monstor claims and never saw a car be combed like that to find out that you have mapped your ecu you could have to wack it on the reader which would be giving off all kinds of faults anyway if u had a life ending accident. I dnt see how you would ever get caught out on a map

i've been a claims adjuster for the 4th largest commercial insurer for the past 4 or so years so i've seen it happen.

i have my own case where a kid modded his bloody scooter on his dads fleet policy and managed to write a car off. we found out and refused insurance. he said he couldnt pay the 5 or so grand back so we took him to court and he's paying something like £20 a week back to us. i get a cheque in every week and it's a pain tbqh but serves the idiot right.

a colleague has another case circa 20k on a special personal lines policy where the kid was fronting with his dad as the main driver, he crashed, police came, he was all dazed e.t.c and said in his statement to the police 'oh i was just driving to work' we then had him interviewed and worked out his dad basically never drove it. refused insurance again on the basis he was fully aware he was defrauding the system.

but like i said 99% percent of the time you would get away with stuff like maps, it's the obvious like alloys, exh, inductions that you get picked up on.

all im saying is if there is a slight chance it could happen, which there is, i'd rather declare it than be found out and be poor for the rest of my life!

ITB BG 182
Dont be a biscuit and risk it.

IF Sky are asking for 25% for a small mod like that then i am never going with them, Im still with greenlight and all the mods that are coming up at the end of the month and all they want is £25 from me for the admin fee and nothing else.

Clio MK 4
I rang up about it on my insurance once as was going to map the car and they said it would cost an extra £70 quid. Don't think i would have added it on tbh.

Anyway i went to rs tuning to pay for it £350 and then pulled out as my timing belts were out and it would be pointless. 2 weeks later a woman wrote my car off. Was glad i didn't get it done now lol.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I've looked at quotes for getting mine mapped. If I get a map to about 170bhp, it will cost me an extra ~£80. But I can insure the 170bhp version of my car for the same price as I'm paying now. That to me doesn't make any sense.