ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

A cautionary tale for those of you with cherished numbers.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
About 6 months ago I replaced my horsebox with a newer bigger model.

Before I went to collect it I telephoned my insurance broker and set up the cover on the new vehicles existing registration number so I could drive it home.

A week later I changed the plates for a retained cherished number and advised the broker of the change.

A couple of days after that I received the certificate of insurance with the new (cherished) number and I simply filed it away with the registration documents.

Yesterday, following receipt of the road fund licence reminder, I tried to tax the lorry on line.

Imagine my joy when the site responded with a message stating it could not be done, as the vehicle was uninsured. :mad:

I phoned the insurers and went ballistic at them. They told me the broker was responsible for informing the MID (motor insurance database) and had failed to do so and although I was covered, the records had not been updated.:S

So, no problem then, I was insured all the time… But wait a moment, where does the information checked by Police and NPR cameras come from…The MID. :(

The thought that either my Daughter or I could have been checked and pulled over for being uninsured, with the subsequent fun of having a vehicle with four horses on board, confiscated until I could prove we were insured, doesn’t bear thinking about.

If you have a cherished plate, its worth a call to your insurers and the broker to make sure they are all singing off the same hymn sheet, or you could be walking home, or worse, one night soon. :mad:

smc

Clio 182 cup
But wait a moment, where does the information checked by Police and NPR cameras come from…The MID

this not true, the MID is a collective effort by motor insurers and VOSA , ANPR and other camera enforced motoring offences use data held/supplied by the DVLA.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
But wait a moment, where does the information checked by Police and NPR cameras come from…The MID

this not true, the MID is a collective effort by motor insurers and VOSA , ANPR and other camera enforced motoring offences use data held/supplied by the DVLA.

You have got all the players but in the wrong positions on the pitch.

MID (Motor insurance database) provides information to DVLA VOSA and PNC
VOSA provides MOT information to DVLA and PNC
DVLA provides registered keeper and driving licence information to PNC
CRO stores information on PNC
ANPR checks all the databases instantaneously via PNC