ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

98 ron versus 95 ron!!??

Clio Sport 16v 172
98 octane petrol!!!

Hi folks, i was just wondering which petrol you all use and recomend.
I noticed that 98 octane is the recomended fuel for a 172ff but i have not seen this anywhere. So i have been using shells v power at 99oct.

Clio 197 R27
Re: 98 octane petrol!!!

95 or 98 in the R27 not really noticed much differance with MPG or performance with either (well not so much that i noticed) especially

Clio 197 R27

95 or 98 in the R27 not really noticed much differance with MPG or performance with either (well not so much that i noticed) especially for the extra £5 per tank

P

Paul Common 666

I use v-power or high octane if (god forbid) I cant V-power. If I use 95ron my car does not run as well.

Nippy white cup

I switched to Total 98ron a while back and my MPG dropped quite a bit...didn't think

Nippy white cup

I switched to Total 98ron a while back and my MPG dropped quite a bit...didn't think about it being the fuel but when I swapped it made a fair old difference...not much to performance tho (probably better for turbo'd engine as in the new Golf)

Chris

Iceberg 172

I use BP Ultimate 97RON usually, but had a tank of Tesco 99 last time as I was low and it was convenient.

I ran it on 95RON at first and didn't really notice a performance different when I switched. In the interests of experimentation, I might try a diet of V-Power next....

Sy

Pajero 3.8 V6

95 in mine, tried the other stuff and it made no difference in my opinion.

Iceberg 172

The usual statement is that V-Power makes your car faster due to the significantly lighter wallet that you now have............

AMV8, Mk1 Golf

i use tesco 99 in mine, used to use v-power but it got to the point where £1.13 was just silly.

plus now i get club card points on the fuel, may try 95 see if it makes any difference

Iceberg 172

Shell V-Power 110p or so a litre, and today Shell announce £13million in profits for last year..... :mad: :rolleyes:

M2 Competition

Lol at the amount of these threads.

Super unleaded will make a huge difference to mpg.

Do the same motorway journey day in day out back to back, trying different fuels every week and tell me theres no difference.

Lol at the amount of these threads.

Super unleaded will make a huge difference to mpg.

Do the same motorway journey day in day out back to back, trying different fuels every week and tell me theres no difference.

Theres no difference.:rasp:

Last edited:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I used to always run my 172 on 97 ron, or above. Now i just used 95 ron fuel, no difference in performance, just a bit more lumpy on idle.

Turbo LY R27

I have found that bp 95 is the best. Optimax dont change anything. I hate bp ultimate, i find my car runs much better on standard bp. Always seems to struggle high revs on ultimate. Found the same in my old 182 as well:S
Odd.

LY V6 with Recaros

I use bp Ultimate. Have always run it on V-power and it run terrible from cold, since I've switched it been fine and it feels better too.

Scirocco GT 210

Shell V-Power 110p or so a litre, and today Shell announce £13million in profits for last year..... :mad: :rolleyes:

That doesn't sound right at all, £13 million is f**k all for an oil company. Did you mean £13 billion?

Petrol is expensive enough at the moment, 95 RON all the way. :cool: Only difference 98+RON makes is a negative one on your wallet IMO.

**EDIT** just seen the news, £13.9 billion profit for Shell. Rich f**kers. lol

Last edited:
  Mk1 Eunos Roadster

Will someone close this can o' worms?!? You might have to run a couple of tanks of super through the engine to notice a difference, but there really is nothing you can gain from asking that question on here. Mine runs better on VPower, so that's what it gets. Other people's run better, or at least no worse, on 95RON stuff. Yours might do either, so it's down to you to try both and see for yourself! :)

GT86, 335, Westfield

v-power will cost more but will make a difference both at idle and through the rev range in mine. It will also have benefits for cleaning the engine and mpg, hense the sticker on the fuel cap

I am surprised, from the above posts that this has not been discussed before.

With a turbo engine the effects are far more noticable