ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

9 previous owners

06 Hyundai coupe 2.0
I'm looking at a car that is a 52 plate, 59,000 miles, FSH, did the hpi check and everything was fine, except it had 9 previous owners, just found this odd? Or is it just me? Car looks mint, not even a stone chip. What do you all think?

E87 118d M Sport
I bought the clio off Warren and I am like the 7th owner. Car is a perfect example, perfect condition, runs like a dream. I wouldn't worry about it unless it looks beaten up. Better to have more owners who look after it cuz its a "new car" rather than 1 owner who owns it for 6 years and doesn't give a s**t after the first year. IMO ofcourse.

As above, could be a) the car has a problem no-one has been able to fix and moves the car on after 6 months, or b) its just been a bit of fun for 6 months and has been looked after as its a new/weekend car...

You take the risk really...

my last RB182 had a fair few owners before me and it was Mint....

As above, I wouldn't worry too much apart from the fact when it comes to sell again it will put a lot of people off. Long as everything is up to scratch etc. Lot of people buy 172s and don't get along with the rattling, the heavyish clutch and steering, the lumpiness when cold etc. and sell them on not realising they're all the same.

My 172 had quite a few owners, I think I was the 6th. It was on 40,000 miles when I bought it.

Tbh though, when I thought about it, I owned it for 9months. If people did the same, the owners would have racked up easily. I wouldnt worry too much, aslong as its in good condtion, service history etc.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The problem with 'hot hatches' when they get cheap.

The chavs buy them, run them for 6 months, realise they can't afford £2000 a year insurance and sell them on.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Post the add up, someone on here probably knows it/owned it.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I think I am the 8th owner of my Cup, it was a little "chavved" up when I bought it but mechanically and cosmetically it was spot on. I think you can generally tell if a car has been looked after when you view it.

But what I would say is make sure you have done a full £20 HPI check, one thing you can't tell from viewing the car is if it has outstanding finance. Some of these cheaper checks don't cover finance and it could be a reason why a car has had afew owners with people selling it on when they find out the bailiffs are after them.

I was the 5th owner of an 04 plate car, sold it within a month so the next was the 6th. It's very easy for them to rack up.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I personally wouldn't look twice. But don't see the problem is it's check out to be ok. But i'd expect it to be cheaper.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It really depends how long you plan to keep it.

I used to be the type to buy ones with high owners but they are so much harder to sell on ime.

Mountune Tractor
So it's 7/8 years old and had 9 owners - personally I wouldn't even bother. There are plenty out there on the same mileage with 4/5 owners less. Avoid.

Clio Cup 172
Mine has 10 previous owners, the previous peer to me has it registered to different members of his family for insurance purposes. It's it great nick :)

172 ph1
I bought the clio off Warren and I am like the 7th owner. Car is a perfect example, perfect condition, runs like a dream. I wouldn't worry about it unless it looks beaten up. Better to have more owners who look after it cuz its a "new car" rather than 1 owner who owns it for 6 years and doesn't give a s**t after the first year. IMO ofcourse.

never looked at it like that mate....but dead right! i dont think it matters, ive had cars not as new as that but with owners into double figures that have ran like a dream! i wouldnt be bothered

White ds3
when i was looking for a 197 i went and looked at a white 08 plate with 10k miles with 5 previous owners lol

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I think which ever way you look at it the majority of people without a doubt will be put off by the number of owners. I know i would

Dan

If you manage to sell it on to another enthusiast then it will be ok, but if you are just selling to some mug that wants a car that has no idea what they are looking for in regards to mechanicals etc then it will be harder.