ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio Mk2 Mirror Intake

Last year, for my second year project at college (Studying motorsport engineering) I designed and prototyped a cabin cooling system routed through the mirrors of the car. The design allows for the mirror to still function, but at a fixed angle. A 30mm intake pipe forces outside air into the cabine. ( I had planned on adding an electric fan to aid the air, but havent got around to it.)

Basically this thread is there to show people how to make on of my design and also ask any questions about it.

Obviously the one I produced is a prototype so it can be improved in certain ways and also I dont care if people make loads of my design, but just remember that it was ME who made it first.

Ben Andrews (ZFJBen)

IMG_20170422_095238.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I like the idea of having it in the wing mirror, pretty neat. The only problem is that you're only flowing air that's the same temperature as outside. If it's hot, you're flowing hot air. I get that a lot of time it's just the feed of air that you want though.

Could have done something really neat with the actual black trim area. I like it though.

Step 1 - Mirror removal

-Unblot the mirror by removing a plastic trim on the inside side of the door. For all sport models and some non-sport models there will be wiring for the mirrors motor, heater and outside temp sensor (only on the passenger mirror). Unplug the connector. Next there is three small 8mm bolts covered by rubber grommets. Unbolt the mirror, remembering to be careful that the mirror doesnt drop to the floor (Unwind the window to hold the mirror whilst unbolting).
IMG_20170118_163242.jpg

Last edited:
Step 2 - Mirror strip down

-Carfully remove the colour matched outer cover. Try to use trim removal tools or flat head screw drivers. Theres about 5 clips that hold the cover on, its very hard not to break any clips, but try to break as little as many.
-To remove the mirror glass push down on one side so it lifts the other up, get a small flat head and prise off. It shouldnt be too tight on, however there is two connectors connected to the glass so remove them before taking the glass fully off.
IMG_20170120_100251.jpg
-To remove the motor and main electrics, there is 3 gold philips screws. Unscrew then the motor will be lose. On the back of the motor, the wiring is connected by one plug with 3 wires going into it. This can be tricky to remove but if you take the back cover of the motor off, it'll just unplug. The motor can now be put to one side. You wont need it agian.....
IMG_20170120_101022.jpg
- To remove the final bit of wiring the main connector (That plugs into the car) need to be unscrewed then the wires can be pulled through. It will now leave you with an empty mirror shell that still hindges.
IMG_20170120_101114.jpg

Step 3 - Splitting the shell into to parts
-For the piping to be correctly routed through the mirror, the hinge needs to be removed. Metal hinge is very stubborn to remove so there will be multiple ways of doing this. But i used a combination of hacksaw and dremel.
IMG_20170120_101157.jpg IMG_20170120_140408.jpg

Step 4 - Making room for the piping
- The largest size of piping I have been able to use in the space is 32mm revotec single layer neoprene ducting. I bought mine from Merlin Motorsport, as they are close to me and I could get specific sizes. https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/revotec-black-single-layer-neoprene-ducting-per-metre-rev-blk
- Firstly the door mount part, needed to be modified. The orignial hole where the hinge was, needs to be enlarged. The original hole was 25mm in diameter. This needs to be 40mm in daimeter, but offseted towards the car side of the door mount.
IMG_20171018_191223[1203].jpg
- The mirror housing part will also need to be modified. If you look at the back of the part the dome shape goes flat in a bullet shape. On this flat there is a hole and other strengthening parts. From the outside edge of the falt, go in 5mm, from the top edge go in 10mm and the bottom edge 15mm. Remove the plastic in this area, going all the way up to the inside edge where the inside of the mirror meets two holes, like in the picture below.
IMG_20171018_191910[1205].jpg
- Test fit with the pipe to make sure that it all fits in the space you have just made.
IMG_20170202_144657.jpg IMG_20170202_145205.jpg IMG_20170202_144705.jpg