ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

7D or 70D

I miss having a camera, not only for photos but video too. I've been looking again, didn't really want to spend more than £1000 but these two stand out with the 18-135 STM lens.

I'd prefer new over used too.

Thoughts?

Niall

ClioSport Club Member
The 70D’s sensor is said to be fantastic, but personally I’d prefer the more substantial body of the 7D, that and they’re very well priced at the moment what with the 7D Mark II to be announced early this year.

Tough choice. I have a 7D as it's far more rugged and well built but the 70D is awesome for video

I'd still buy the 7D having used both but that's just because I have a 70-300L and the 70D feels a bit flimsy against it

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
^^^

I'm with the one of the long neck, imo I'd cough up an extra 500 and get a FF and the 6D is sposed to be very capable

I love FF for certain things - but I still don't think it has it's place in track photography unless you have very deep pockets

Turn up at most UK tracks with a 6D and an 18-135mm and you'll be more frustrated than a guy with a 450D and a 70-200 f4L

Oil Burner
It's an age old question FF v's crop.

FF produces such nice images and depth of field in the images. The sensors are also typically higher resolution (albeit perhaps not per square mm of sensor) so you can crop hard into the images. The reality is that a lot of people are scared of cropping hard, and if they stopped worrying then they wouldn't really suffer too much for having FF.
People would be surprised how hard 'professional' images often are. If you can print it OK then whats the problem. The modern camera's like the 6d have such brilliant AF that they will handle a 1.4x TC quite well. So that is another option if you lack focal length on a compatible lens.

The 6d is a cracking little camera, I would have one in a heart beat if only it had more AF points near the edges. I must say the AF impressed me a lot for a consumer camera. Handled some conditions i don't think my 7d or 1d3 would have enjoyed.

The 6d would be plenty robust enough to withstand even light professional usage.