ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

72,000k + CAMS

Renaultsport Clio 172
Hi mates! I just made up my mind and bought a set of Engine-Dynamics cams. But have some questions as what else to change/check during the service.

1. Should I change the lifters? They don't sound, although there is a slight tapping coming from the mid of the cam cover, so one may be not 100% ok.

2. What about changing oil pump as caution and to ensure durability? Car has always had oil changes on time!

Along with cams I will change distribution kit obviously plus water pump and check pulleys, the tensioner pulley has been replaced recently so that is fine.

Those with experience with F4R and its durability, what else to consider?

Lionel Richie
you need

a FULL cambelt kit
a FULL accessory belt kit

plus the renault special tools to do the work

otherwise don't touch it

Renaultsport Clio 172
^ Not really after 206hp's, I decided on these as they look very alike C&B. Henk from fastchip have experience with them and he says is a profile that works well with the F4R and give good power/torque gains, and of course the price which looks good value for money. I know these are not C&B but the lift and duration values are the same. We will see. Will keep posting!

About my question, anyone with tuning F4R experience has recommendations?

Pug 205 gti
first off we aint mates ;)

an the serious answer, go with what fred said. you could always get some head work done to go with them

clio 172
^ Not really after 206hp's, I decided on these as they look very alike C&B. Henk from fastchip have experience with them and he says is a profile that works well with the F4R and give good power/torque gains, and of course the price which looks good value for money. I know these are not C&B but the lift and duration values are the same. We will see. Will keep posting!

About my question, anyone with tuning F4R experience has recommendations?

Who's doing your remap mate?

Ph1
If the cars a high miler, 100k + then technically and if you wanted to throw major caution to the wind, you could fit a dephaser pulley, water pump, maybe even new lifters and tappets if your really worried about the tapping.

For that lot you'd be looking at over 500 quid alone

Renaultsport Clio 172
If the cars a high miler, 100k + then technically and if you wanted to throw major caution to the wind, you could fit a dephaser pulley, water pump, maybe even new lifters and tappets if your really worried about the tapping.

For that lot you'd be looking at over 500 quid alone

Thanks for the advice!!! I think I will only change just the belt kits and the water pump along with CAMS. I will do a R&R before and another one after to see how good these do to my car; I will also check on the dephaser pulley!!

RS RIP
mine was also 70+ , just changed the full belt kit, they also did the waterpump.

And bugger i wish they did'nt touch the waterpump because it's leaking now

Renaultsport Clio 172
mine was also 70+ , just changed the full belt kit, they also did the waterpump.

And bugger i wish they did'nt touch the waterpump because it's leaking now

Thanks for the comment!! Actually your comments and feedback by PM made me finally decide, I know these are not C&B but seem very alike, will see!!!!

Renaultsport Clio 172
CAMS Arrived

Well, I have recieved the engine dynamics cams today, they look very well made, finish quality is really good. Will take pics and post them here. Next is the installation bue I still have another 10,000 miles to go.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Here the photos

SDC14938.gif

SDC14939.gif

SDC14940.jpg

SDC14941.jpg

SDC14942.jpg

SDC14944.jpg

SDC14945.jpg

2005 Nissan Navara
Will be intresting to see how good the castings are.

And explains the price difference between these and Catcams, which are billet.

As for the work required, if you are capable and wouldnt find it too much trouble, id see it as an oppurtunity to whip the head of have the seats re-cut and the valves refaced, and definately check the guides for wear.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Will be intresting to see how good the castings are.

And explains the price difference between these and Catcams, which are billet.

As for the work required, if you are capable and wouldnt find it too much trouble, id see it as an oppurtunity to whip the head of have the seats re-cut and the valves refaced, and definately check the guides for wear.

Thanks for the advice stan, I will check those while it is in bits to see the engines condition.

Any way to check castings? I know what you mean as they have been only machined at contact surfaces so there is a chance they aren't balanced? But if the castings are well done should not have issues, should I?

2005 Nissan Navara
its not so much the balance I was specifically reffering to, more the quality of the casting in terms of materials used etc which lead to the overall longevity of the part.

im sure they are fine, i was more just rationalising the price difference to myself outloud!

ITB'd MK1
I'd want to fast idle those on first start as they're cast, just to be confident in the surface hardening, they'll wear very quickly if they're not correctly hardened and you dont treat them the right way. You dont have to worry about that with Billet

Renaultsport Clio 172
I'd want to fast idle those on first start as they're cast, just to be confident in the surface hardening, they'll wear very quickly if they're not correctly hardened and you dont treat them the right way. You dont have to worry about that with Billet

What you mean by fast idle? like leaving the car just sitting there at 2,000 for a while and then check?

Renaultsport Clio 172
I was doing some reading and found that hardness should be from 52 - 58 Rockwell C. I work in a Ford Assembly Plant and we can check the hardness. We will see.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Stan, Dany

They are not castings, this is what I was answered about material and manufacturing method.

"
Hi Mauricio,

They are Forged steel, this means they are forged to shape then machined to finish, not cast.
"

I have now asked about hardness, though I should be able to measure tomorrow at the Plant. However, forged steel is pretty strong, isn't it?

2005 Nissan Navara
They look very much cast to me. You can see the roughness on the non-machined areas.

chill-cast cams are machined from a cast billet, not a drop-forged billet. Thats what they look like.
There is nothing wrong with chill-cast cams at all.
My concern was about "cheap chinese" cams, which will be cast but to a lower standard, greater impurities, higher chance of fail.

Im not for one second suggesting thats what these are, I was just making an observation.

Renaultsport Clio 172
About Hardness ...

"
Hi Mauricio,

Specification for hardness is 52 - 55 HRC

Andy
"

So not to have problems going by the specification.

E36 M3. 182
Irrespective of what hardness they are, surely 20 minutes of your time isnt a big ask to avoid the (as small as it may be) risk of shagging your new camshafts.........

Renaultsport Clio 172
Well, after a few months I manages to install cams and also the mapping is going thur development at the moment with Henk, although the car hasn't been completed yet (mapping wise) I got the car on the rollers and this is the outcome, I am not going by the numbers, but the curves I don't like. Is this maybe because it isn't fully mapped yet? What you think?

I must say I have raced another clios and mine is faster so i don't think there is something wrong with it, or so me thinks.

GRAFICACRSPLATA.jpg

C&C please!