ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6x9s and sub..christ no:)

Ive always heard the two dont go well together..infact Ive even heard a few systems that didnt sound right because of it.

However just out of interest I left my 6x9s in with the sub..just untill the components arrive.

it sounds alright, but the base from the sub causes the 6x9s to vibrate. Only happens on certain beats..however I now see exactly what everyone was talking about:)

IMHO everyone should stop buyin 6x9/7x10s this may manufacturers will stop making them because they are no longer profitable and then they will cease to exist - problem solved

bambam thats not really fair.

6x9s on their own are pretty good. If you dont fancy spending money on subs and amps...which many people dont!

they give you quite a bit of volume and some nice bass.

I had mine for a good 5 months on their own and I quite liked them!

6x9s are indeed ok on there own without a sub. However it has been proven (probably in some test lab somewhere) that the best construction of a speaker sone is a circle. Anything else like ovals, hexagons, squares or whatever else you can think of wont be as good as a round one. Therefore if anyone is thinknig of buying a pair of 6x9s, then you might as well either buy some 6.5" or 8" round speakers or some 6.5" components. Components would be better for future system upgrades and should sound better the your average coaxial.

Russ

Evil I.C.E. Car Audio

in my dads BMW 320 Coupé hes got Pioneer front Components, Pioneer TS-E6995s in the back and pioneer amps for both components and 6x9s (seperate amps) and to be honest ive never heard a setup that is so damn good sounding.

It sounds like you need to have a listen to the Evil I.C.E. demo car mate. Actually Pioneer make some nice sounding speakers. The demo car also has Pioneer 6x9s in the system but cleverly they are all boxed in..even in the doors there are boxes that just miss the windows when they go down...That makes them more punchy and sound clearer.

Russ

I must say, before I had my sub...I wasnt sure about them. But the difference is quite amazing. On my pioneer stereo i can turn the sub on and off, with the sub off...the stereo sounds so flat...with it on...wow:)

try amping a set of 6x9s with an enclosure i think u will be amazed at the difference and the bass response,

evil ice god knows where u got that info from, if its true i think u should approach kicker and question their subs? they seem to be square and do the job, (and no im not a kicker fan at all)

Tom

The Kicker squares are slightly different. They are good dont get me wrong and there is more bass for the size of the sub due to the extra cone area but with regards to sound quality, the old round Solobarics are better. It depends what your after really. For SPL competitions they are great but for SQ a round sub is best...this has ben proven. Somebody else that knows a bit about it will tell you.

Russ

Revels Mum & Sister

I have to agree with Evil ICE

The Square kickers are loud. And dont need fantastic amounts off power behind them to kick hard.

But a round Sub is allways used in SQ. Well at the higher levels. Some of the stuff in the lower levels leaves a lot to be desired. As he also said the Solobarics are much better but I am not a fan of kicker and dont really like there stuff. Too many manufacturers are trying to make things look pretty and different and are forgetting one thing. Sound Quality!!!

And I have also read that Round speaker design is the most efficent and best design for a speaker. He didnt say it wouldnt work. But you put kicker against a lot of Round subs and kicker will fall by the waistside!!

Suzuki SV650

What can ya make a box for 6 x 9s out of then? Good old bit of MDF or similar? Ive got a sub and some 6 x 9s on my parcel sheft but seeing as everyone is going on about how pants a sub + 6 x 9s are I now feel slightly insecure :p :p :p

they dont sound that bad to be honest, i still think my stereo sounds quality...just the sub does cause the 6x9s to vibrate slightly

if youre gonna put 6x9s in a set up which includes sub amp and components then youd really not be interested in doing sound offs etc as 6x9s upset the soundstage meaning youre not gonna get as good a reading as you would without em!

When making boxes for 6x9s its a case of trial and error really. Make a few boxes and stick them in the one that sounds best. Oh and the box is much better when ported on those.

Once there was a guy at one of the Hill Power open days that had a pair of DLS 6x9s in 2x smallish ported boxes. Those speakers were 200watts RMS and cost £250 but they sounded nice. Bearing in mind that my car was running 4x subs at the time (only Pro Plus things) you could still hear his system over mine. Strangely i changed the system shortly after that.

Russ

I personally like the combination of 6x9s and Sub. You have to have some good ampd components though else it sounds to base heavy and all the base is coming from the rear.

In my opinion, theres nothing wrong with having 6x9s and a sub. A mate of mine used to have 6x9s and a sub, but then removed the 6x9s cuz of all this rubbish that everybody was spouting. Now, he has front components runnig off an amp with just a sub and an amp in the back. Hes running the standard speakers off the head unit for "rear fill". However, it doesnt sound anywhere near as good as what it used to! Whenever you turn your head to look left then right at a junction, you can hear a massive "hole" where theres just something missing! Also, when sat in the back of the car it sounds terrible as there is way too much bass and not enough treble and mid. The sub over powers everything!

Ideally, he could do with some bigger speakers fitted in the rear door cards to aid the "rear fill", but to be honest, he shouldve left the 6x9s alone!

well he should perhaps get some decent rear speakers.

also i couldnt care less about the sound in the back, i bought my car..im in my car most...if the audio is good to me then im happy...if passengers want to moan they can cough up to 100s/1000s for a new audio system