ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6 year old trophy

Clio Trophy
ok firstly i have put it into the discussion topic simply because it applies to all tech threads, so easier to put here lol

ok so i have a 2005 trophy. its 6 year old, its already had its timing belt done last year and has just had new rear shocks fitted aswell as pads all round...

i know its a 182 but trophy has diff set up on somethings. sooo can you tell me what you recommend i get done to it throughout this year.

i know the dampers will need done but what else?

camber bolts? wishbone and droplinks etc? i have no idea lol help

Unless its broken leave it alone??

Just have an annual service, check over make sure everythings tip top?

Clio Trophy
its french and iv had my fair share of french cars that like to just fail on a long journey south so like to gett it back to better handling etc. so would no1 recommend replacing the ball joints and all that after so many years just to keep them from getting to the stage where they are hanging? its not like the simple parts like droplinks and joints etc are expenive

Unless a balljoints got play in it then its pointless changing it, same goes for any suspension component.

Put the money in a pot for when it does go wrong.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
its french and iv had my fair share of french cars that like to just fail on a long journey south so like to gett it back to better handling etc. so would no1 recommend replacing the ball joints and all that after so many years just to keep them from getting to the stage where they are hanging? its not like the simple parts like droplinks and joints etc are expenive

sort of answered your own question its completely upto you if you want to start replacing bits but if it isnt broke dont fix it sure it will come up in your MOT when they do start to look perished

Clio Trophy
it just had its mot and it failed on the rear brake pipe leaking, they cant get the part from renault for a week tho :S dnt know why but it passed apart from that, but i find a knocking noise when pulling away, they told me it was a loose ball joint and they tightend it but its slowly starting to make this knocking noise again when pulling away. im guessing there is play there and they just cant b fecked with the hassle of fixing it lol cus this place likes an easy buck thats why i went to it, gauranteed pass lol

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
it just had its mot and it failed on the rear brake pipe leaking, they cant get the part from renault for a week tho :S dnt know why but it passed apart from that, but i find a knocking noise when pulling away, they told me it was a loose ball joint and they tightend it but its slowly starting to make this knocking noise again when pulling away. im guessing there is play there and they just cant b fecked with the hassle of fixing it lol cus this place likes an easy buck thats why i went to it, gauranteed pass lol

haha so your happy to drive around in something with a dodgy MOT?? why are u talking of replacing all things then skimping on your MOT by going to someone that will just pass?

Clio Trophy
because i need a new cat and the emmitions are too high lol and im in process of saving for a new cat since its 2k lol...

plus im going to replace everything mechanical over the next couple of years anyways so just wondering best place to start with

Clio Trophy
call up renault and ask for a price for a 182 cat. i dont know how much they are for a 172.

but the ones u see on ebay for £99 are crap they always trip the engine management light on.

Clio Trophy
then it defo fails its mot lol. i want it to pass legit next year so i can sell it and go for a megane trophy mmm

ITB'd MK1
Sport cat, £300, done. I'm unconvinced that the cat would cause you to fail emissions though, only time I've seen them be a problem is when they actually fall apart internally. sounds like another issue

Braided brake lines are normally an off the shelf item, I wouldn't replace with standard, there's no point

banderson

ClioSport Club Member
  05' BG 182FF

so you went there for a guaranteed pass but you want it done legit?

Clio Trophy
well everything passed really apart from the front dampers rear brake and the exhaust emmisions due to the cat fucked and welding it is not an option cus damage is to big so failed on minimal things although i think it would benifit handling wise with new wishbones and droplinks, top mounts etc

but front dampers are getting rebuilt sept, brakes being done at the mo and the cat will b replaced asap now since i no i will be able to get a sports cat tht will not set off the eml