ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

6 warning lights have come on together

clio 172 focus st
Hi
A couple of months ago I bought myself a 172, I haven't had any major issues with it until a couple of days ago. When I started the car the abs light, airbag light, brake fluid light, battery light, service light and stop light all stayed illuminated. I tried turning the car off again and driving it round the block and doing the same again but with no luck, none of these lights were on last time I used the car.

I also then noticed that neither the indicators, headlights, wipers, radio, heater, or central locking work. I have checked all the cables for the UCH are properly plugged in. Before I attempt to remove the UCH does this sound like a UCH problem or is there somewhere else I would be best to start first?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
  Clio 182 LY
First thing I would check is for any dampness in the area around the UCH. If the drainage is completely blocked, the water has no other route other than through the air vent from the scuttle panel into the firewall / behind the dash where the UCH is positioned. It may also be worth checking all the earth wires for any poor connections. Does sound like it could be UCH related, but don't rule out a poor battery - probably unlikely but you'll be amazed what a poor condition battery can do to these cars!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Sounds like the alternator to me . I had something similar a few weeks ago while driving . The lights all came on faint and flickering then became constant . The wipers worked but only very slowly and screenwash worked but lacked power pumping. I never tried anything else electrical like the lights , radio , heater etc ................

Last edited:
  Clio 172 Merc ML55
Hi

I also then noticed that neither the indicators, headlights, wipers, radio, heater, or central locking work. I have checked all the cables for the UCH are properly plugged in. Before I attempt to remove the UCH does this sound like a UCH problem or is there somewhere else I would be best to start first?

Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

All the above are common issues associated with a temperamental uch.

Out of interest do you use the car much, or has it been left standing for a while? Battery?

I'm going to assume you haven't got one of the few sport models with a sunroof so can rule out that leaking (as is common on a lot of clios), however it would be worth checking there's no evidence of a water leak anywhere near said uch. There are 3 relays attached to the end of the uch, worth checking those to make they're properly home.

Wiring earth points would be something else worth checking, being French it doesn't take a lot to be wrong and show a whole host of faults

clio 172 focus st
Thanks very much! To be honest the car had sat there for 2 weeks prior to this so I guess its possible it could be battery related. I couldn't see any obvious signs of water but I guess it may be worth me removing it and having a look inside. I will let you know how I get on.

clio 172 focus st
Thanks I will also run the car down to the local garage round the corner and get the battery and alternator checked.

dan's cast offs.
ignore uch. check battery/alternator. it's probably not but check main loom earth on the back of the gearbox/diff.

clio 172 focus st
Hi, just a quick update, I took the car down to the garage today and left it with them. When I collected the car they said the alternator was charging the battery at 13v and that the battery was holding more than enough charge so they believed everything was fine. After a short 3 mile drive home there was a strong smell inside the car. When I stopped the car I realised the smell was coming from under the bonnet, the battery was smoking and had water leaking out of it. Im not the most technical person but even I realised this was not a good sign! I think I will try and find an auto electrician to come to my house and have a look at it, I will keep you all updated on what happens next.

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Sounds like ike you've got alternator/battery problems. That won't be watercolour out the battery by the way, far more likely to be the acid contained inside so I wouldn't go touching it without suitable protection.

To be fair any garage should have spotted that charging at 13 volts is below normal, should be around 14.2-14.4 when engine running. I'd imagine the regulator in the alternator has packed up and put too big a charge to the battery causing the smoking issue.

Obviously it needs looking at properly, I certainly wouldn't go back to where you went last time, and I expect as a minimum you're going to need a new alternator and battery I'm afraid

clio 172 focus st
Thanks for all your replies. It turns out it is indeed the alternator and like you say the battery will need replacing as well. I have ordered both from Euro car parts and im hoping to pick them up tomorrow. Today I have been attempting to remove the old alternator, after removing the, battery, bumper, slam panel and off side head light I have been able to remove the 2 bolts holding the alternator in place.

The problem I have now though is that the tension on the belt is pulling down on the alternator and stopping me from being able to remove it, does anyone know how to adjust the belt tensioner to release some tension out of it please?

Thanks

Will

dan's cast offs.
big jubilee clip on it but make sure the tensioner isn't ceased on the pivot.

also what make of alternator did you order and what amperage as they list them incorrectly.

Clio 182 cup
Not sure if you have more space to work with on the 172 but on my 182 I needed to remove the front bumper and slam panel to change the alternator. As said above big jubilee clip around the tensioner works.