ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5k Whistle?

ph2 172
Alrite guys,

I'v got a 52 plate 172, had it about 4 months and am loving it. Recently my mate has purchased a 55 plate Type R and lets just say we have been having a few little races here and there.

He keeps saying to me how good my car sounds when I boot it, he describes it as a high pitched whistling noise. I was just wondering is this normal? and if it is what causes it?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Oli

Tangoed Works
Ha ha, my mate with CTR says exactly the same thing, the whistling around 5k ish combined with the meat of the grunt sounds sexy. He cant get enough of it!

tiTTy & SV650
its the aerodynamics or exhaust note or something but its standard, done it since june 04 when i bought it!

monaco blue 172 ..
mine has done it all the time ive had it ,, it comes out of the exhaust so i know its not any aux belt..... must be standard !

Rsport182Cup'd
In The 5k Kick At 5000rpm You Should Feel More Kick, It Is From The German Engineering, There Is A Butterfly Throttle Body, This Causes The Noise. Like You See On Fast And Furious Butterflies Opening When Throttle On.

It Drives Like A Retro Crossflow With Twin Choke Carbs On.
Love It.

lol ok...

It comes from the engine for f**k sake and even does it at 30mph and is a great sound! I get a lot of people turn around when passing them to check out what it is... not sure what it is exactly but its coming from the drivers side in the engine bay.

And don't anyone say it's the wing mirror cos it isn't!

1998 BMW e46 323i
lol ok...

It comes from the engine for f**k sake and even does it at 30mph and is a great sound! I get a lot of people turn around when passing them to check out what it is... not sure what it is exactly but its coming from the drivers side in the engine bay.

And don't anyone say it's the wing mirror cos it isn't!

ha ha, the wing mirrors are noisy though!

Scirocco GT 210
Mine whistles too, not after 5k rpm though.

Mine does it between about 1.5k-3k rpm, then the engine/exhaust noise starts to drown it out. The guy who did my last MOT told me what was causing it, but I can't remember what he said!

Sounds good though, like a little supercharger.

Rsport182Cup'd
the induction does enhance the noise, i do know that there is like a little a little switch on your pedal, when you put your foot through the floor boards you should be able to feel it, without engine on, press acellerator gently to stop, then if you press harder it feels like you are pressing something else down, similar feel to the kickdown switch when you are driving an auto, if you are not full down when you get to 5k you dont get the extra kick. mine whistle like a bird, love it
sound like a lion roaring when you want it to and quiet as a mouse when you dont

^^ ermm not found that mate I don't have to do that to get the 5k kick.

But I know what you mean - I thought it was the pedal hitting the stopper on the floor.

1998 BMW e46 323i
the induction does enhance the noise, i do know that there is like a little a little switch on your pedal, when you put your foot through the floor boards you should be able to feel it, without engine on, press acellerator gently to stop, then if you press harder it feels like you are pressing something else down, similar feel to the kickdown switch when you are driving an auto, if you are not full down when you get to 5k you dont get the extra kick. mine whistle like a bird, love it
sound like a lion roaring when you want it to and quiet as a mouse when you dont

^ Are you high?

Rsport182Cup'd
well i dunno but try this, put the speed limiter on so its orange, set about 30mph, if you put your foot gently to the bottom without the stop you will get to the limited speed, then push hard and it will turn off the limiter auto matically, it only turns it of when you go passed that point.

Have a go, it is well cool either way.

Yep mine does it too. Noticeable at low speeds when idling along at not high revs, but it makes a reappearance at above about 5k when giving it hell.

Am I sad that I actually identified that a Trophy was about to pass me (while I was walking) before it came into view? Probably lol, I ID'd it by this whistle noise...

Valver

thats just part of the cruise control if your car has it

1998 BMW e46 323i
well i dunno but try this, put the speed limiter on so its orange, set about 30mph, if you put your foot gently to the bottom without the stop you will get to the limited speed, then push hard and it will turn off the limiter auto matically, it only turns it of when you go passed that point.

So you're unsure if you're high?

Valver

So you're unsure if you're high?

never a gd sign

tiTTy & SV650
Mine whistles too, not after 5k rpm though.

Mine does it between about 1.5k-3k rpm, then the engine/exhaust noise starts to drown it out. The guy who did my last MOT told me what was causing it, but I can't remember what he said!

Sounds good though, like a little supercharger.

sounds like it might be a belt on your car tbh.

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
mine does it, but its a whistle not a squeek like a belt, same sorta sound u get on a turbo car with a restrictive exhaust just not as loud, put it down to the stock exhaust restricting the flow if exhaust gasses