ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5G rollout

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
5G is rolling out this year, promising to be the be all and end all with smartphones.
Is this changing the way anyone is taking out contracts or buying phones now?

I had thought about getting the new Mi 9 when it comes out soon, but if it's not 5G compatible I'm not sure as I'd look to keep the thing for several years.

Mega speed has been promised with 5G, but is this more of a fantasy?

what-is-5G-speed(1).jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
isn't it only been rolled out to certain cities, so wouldn't rush to buy one if you don't live in a selected city

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Depends where you live I think. If it's coming to your area soon and you spend most of your time there then go for it. Otherwise it would probably be wise to wait a year at least until the coverage is better and the phones are hopefully a little bit cheaper.
I'm more intrested in a home router to replace broadband. We'll never get fibre to the house here so 5g is the only way our home Internet will get faster.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yer as others have said probably best to let the technology and the infrastructure mature. The prices of contracts will probably go up, but once it becomes the norm then they should be the usual cost.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
the conspiracy theorists will have a field day with this relating to 5G and tech giant We-Wa (well that what my wife calls them).

Huawei have been allowed to roll out their 5g infrastructure but they are only allowed to be part of the edge network rather than the core due to the security concerns.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yes my thoughts exactly, there are still parts of the UK where you can't get 3G! They should make sure they have 100% coverage before moving onto the next big thing IMO.

997.1, Caddy, e208
It's all a bit premature isn't it.
What exactly do we do on a mobile that requires (and is provided at) such speed?

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
There seems to be tons of people really invested in 5G so I doubt the 4G network will grow much further.

After doing some reading around it appears that the 5G network needs all new infrastructure installing, so unlike 4G which was just slapped on the existing masts 5G needs everything redoing.

Most places seem to think around 2022 for general coverage, due to the increased time it will take to install everything.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
It's all a bit premature isn't it.
What exactly do we do on a mobile that requires (and is provided at) such speed?

Replacing wired internet is the key. At least for most domestic use. Save having to maintain all that infrastructure etc. and also easier to roll it out to hard to reach areas (ignoring that no one wants to do it).

I don’t get the fuss with Huawei. They were involved in the 2g, 3g and 4g, so not sure what’s different now?

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Barely noticed the change from 3G to 4G. And it's not like 4G guarantees a certain speed. I can't see 10Gb happening any time soon

Really? You can get like 80mb+ i have seen on my phone with 4G that's waaay faster then anything on 3G.

Reactions: DrR

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Replacing wired internet is the key. At least for most domestic use. Save having to maintain all that infrastructure etc. and also easier to roll it out to hard to reach areas (ignoring that no one wants to do it).

I don’t get the fuss with Huawei. They were involved in the 2g, 3g and 4g, so not sure what’s different now?

The problem America has is that they have lots of ties with the Chinese government and security forces.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
The problem America has is that they have lots of ties with the Chinese government and security forces.

Oh I get that, but I don’t see what’s changed from the 2g/3g/4g where they were involved, that’s my point.

Unless it’s become an issue now because of their involvement and more cooperation between the UK and the US?

I only know bits about infrastructure, so I may have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, lol.

Rubicon_

ClioSport Club Member
5G is more being pushed for our massive demand for bandwidth these days, it will allow for some cool tech to be implemented in terms of “smart” things. As for mobile users its hardly something we need at this moment.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I'm just waiting for all our appliances to be connected and have people hacking peoples wifi enabled washing machine and turning it on remotely to flood the house.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Oh good so my 10,000MB fibre cables I have will start to be of some use soon

Lol, I think you’ll be ok for a while.

I think we’re still years away from any serious roll out? Then it has to go through the various stages of adoption.

The big leaps will be in the developing world IMO, where they will jump straight from the relative dark ages to 5G, because of the relatively low cost of install compared to wired networks.

So with china’s Continued expansion and influence over Africa, expect parts there to all of a sudden become more connected and outsourced to than they currently are. Same with parts of South America. Will go hand in hand with a likely generational / multi generational move away from China as a production Centre.

Mk1
Sorry to be the tin-foil hat guy, but...

Surely this is actually no good for human health? (Not that the government would care, lol)

It's bad enough as it is in built up areas with the diesel etc, shitty air quality.

I'm no hippy but on a basic human level, all this s**t can't be healthy long term?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
80MB or Mb ? I've never seen anything like 80MB but I guess it depends where you live.

EBE89E51-FEDB-4C21-B005-59B27090FD79.png

My best so far.

God knows why I need faster than that on my phone, rather have reliable 10Mbps everywhere, can’t even get signal at my parents or brothers.

Mk1
I'm with three and pay for 4G, however just did speed test and reckons it's only on 3G, 24,6 MBPS download. 3.83 Upload. Never had a single issue.

I also read that 5G will be taking off for the use of self driving cars etc reliant upon silly speed internetz. Yay.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I'm no hippy but on a basic human level, all this s**t can't be healthy long term?

What "s**t" are you referring to? the frequencies these devices use to communicate?

I'm just waiting for all our appliances to be connected and have people hacking peoples wifi enabled washing machine and turning it on remotely to flood the house.

Happens all the time currently though, it's just no-one is interested in hacking your washing machine to go mad.
They stick the device in a botnet and use it to flood large companies with data in DDos attacks.

The largest botnets in the world are formed of 'smart' devices, because the security they employ is rubbish.

Mk1
What "s**t" are you referring to? the frequencies these devices use to communicate?

Happens all the time currently though, it's just no-one is interested in hacking your washing machine to go mad.
They stick the device in a botnet and use it to flood large companies with data in DDos attacks.

The largest botnets in the world are formed of 'smart' devices, because the security they employ is rubbish.
Yes, exactly that

This link doesn't highlight that very well but it makes the point scientists are split on it (I'm no proclaimed expert on the matter) But isn't general mobile phone use deemed as a 'risk' as it is already?

Having more or mass 5G frequencies pumped around your area/street/face cant be good long term? Or maybe I'm just a tin foil hat sceptic [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
The sun pumps out that kind of radiation all the time so we are well adapted.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I have BT fibre and after a quick test I have.
Download
50.22 Mbps

Upload
25.92 Mbps

Now we have sky Q with 2 boxes which we run through https://www.richersounds.com/pulseeight-ffms44.html to view TV's or Playstations in every room with up to 16 different multi room functions. Then we have 2 lap tops and ipad and 3 phones all in use at any one time.
I have no connectivity issues so far in the new house, we record stuff when we want and use alexa for playing music in four different rooms etc etc.

How much internet speed do we actually need.?

Reactions: DrR

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I have BT fibre and after a quick test I have.
Download
50.22 Mbps

Upload
25.92 Mbps

Now we have sky Q with 2 boxes which we run through https://www.richersounds.com/pulseeight-ffms44.html to view TV's or Playstations in every room with up to 16 different multi room functions. Then we have 2 lap tops and ipad and 3 phones all in use at any one time.
I have no connectivity issues so far in the new house, we record stuff when we want and use alexa for playing music in four different rooms etc etc.

How much internet speed do we actually need.?

If people thought that way, we’d still be driving the model T.

It’s not a case of ‘need’ (although as above, the benefits delivered are considerable), but a case of continuing to develop.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
The reality of 5G will be very different to what people are used to in terms of coverage. The problem is that the frequencies it uses are much worse at penetrating objects - walls, trees, people, hills, whatever - than the older technology. It's those frequencies which bring with them the high bandwidth, but range is their downside.

That means you need a lot more transmitters to give coverage to an area, which means highly populated urban areas are likely to be be the only viable locations for return on investment for some time.