ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

52 plate DCi engine movement and other issues

clio dci 52
Hi all,

I have a 52 plate DCi which seems to have developed a couple of problems.

1 - Excessive movement which is evidenced by the increased gearstick movement and knocking when decelerating (not when acceslerating usually)
2 - Oil leakage from around the gearbox area, not excessive but consistent. Seems to deposit all around the linkage/mount area.
3 - Feels 'twitchy' on the steering when at speed. Its almost as if the power steering is not stiffening up at speed.

Ive read a fair bit about the engine mounts softening up but most of the posts have been about the larger/faster cars which points should I be investigating for this model.

Anyone know a decent garage for renault in south Manchester..?

Thanks for any advice
Rolf

Renault Clio 1.5 DCI
Hi.

You should get the garage to replace the dogbone mount (under the car between the subframe and gearbox). It is the mount that dampens the forwards/backwards movements of the engine.

I've just replaced mine a couple of weeks ago (for the first time) and the old dogbone mount was in really bad state because of wear. After the new dogbone mount the gearstick still bounces back and forth but that is due to the solid (stick) "interface" between gearstick and gearbox (more expensive cars use steel cables and not a solid (stick) "interface". Steel cables "interface" = less gearstick movement). So gearstick movement can't never be curred on the Clio and it is 100% normal.

clio dci 52
Hi there,

Thanks for that...noticed a lot about the dogbone on the forums..£12 from the local ranault place will replace this week. I know its a solid linkage so you do get a lot of gearstick movement anyway but its got lots worse recently!

Any ideas what the usual culprit is for oil leaking from the grearbox area..?

Rolf