ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

5.1 Brake fluid

Alfa 147 GTA
Got a whole new set of f+r discs and pads from Halfords for the valver (can't complain for £85!) and got 1L of 5.1 performance brake fluid, only £3.50 on trade.

Is 1L going to be enough to bleed the brakes with? What's the deal with 5.1 and is it better than the dot 4 stuff? It was more expensive anyway. In two minds about braided lines aswell, worth it?

VRS
iirc 1 litre is enough :) well thats how much yozza gave me to do mine

ive got 5.1 as well :D this stuff:

http://www.apracing.com/roadcar/brakefluid/data.asp?code=cp4510

as far as im aware its just as good if not better than dot 4

"AP Racing Formula DOT 5.1 is a premium specification Motor Vehicle Brake and Clutch Fluid which conforms to and exceeds the current international specifications U.S. FMVSS No 116, DOT 3, DOT 4, and DOT 5.1, S.A.E. J1703, SAE J1704 and ISO4925. Suitable for High Performance Road Applications including vehicles fitted with ABS and ESP."

i would get some braided lines on there while you at it, no harm done if your already doing it all eh :D

andy

Valver
Do a search mate, but if I remember rightly 5.1 is over kill for road use, only point is if you're doing a lot of track days and using brakes excessively, also requires changing stupidly often...

Alfa 147 GTA
yeah tried a search didn't find much, ill have another look. Would it not require changing often only if your doing track days and the like? It's just that I can get it for cheaper than dot 4.

From what i understand 5.1 can just withstand a higher temperature, is this right? Just ordered some braided hoses as well :)

yeah tried a search didn't find much, ill have another look. Would it not require changing often only if your doing track days and the like? It's just that I can get it for cheaper than dot 4.

From what i understand 5.1 can just withstand a higher temperature, is this right? Just ordered some braided hoses as well :)

And goes hydroscopic.

Just stick with 4.

Alfa 147 GTA
thought i'd read around the net about this and this is what ive found...

DOT 3, 4, and 5.1 are all hydroscopic its the nature of the fluid. 5.1 is no more hydroscopic than the rest. DOT5.1 doesn't need changing any more often, only after track days etc or if it has boiled. (on the bottle it says every 2yrs). 5.1 simply has a higher dry and wet boiling point. It's more expensive is the main reason its not used as much, and DOT4 surfices for road use.

all static websites seem to say 5.1 is fine, a lot of forums say differently.

5.1 is defo overkill, but reckon as I can get it so cheap gonna give it a try. Christ, i'm gonna be dreaming of this stuff tonight i've read so much crap about it...:S