ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4500 pound

Iceberg 172
If you had this amount of cash would you buy a mint 182 or a CTR EP3? Any other suggestions in that price range?

Iceberg 172
Want something thats 7 seconds or under in 0-60 time and really fun to drive, but doesn't have crazy body roll in the bendies like a Golf/a3/Ibiza.

182 FF
Asking on a Clio forum you ll obviously get a biased answer!
I ve had 2 Clio 182 s and an EP3,The Civic is a more roomy car being larger as i find the Clio pretty diddy if it s your only car but the ride quality is better for everyday use on the Clio as the EP3 s ride is very harsh! Performance wise there is little in it but the Clio is quite a bit better on fuel.The Civic has a far better sounding engine but the Clio s main advantage is that you ll get a far newer car with more toys and less miles for the same money and reliability wise i have had little trouble with either as yet!
After having 1 of each the Clio is the one i ve bought another of for the above reasons but if you ve had neither before id go and try them both first as neither will dissapoint ;)

Stripped yozza'd cup
Clio all day long. CTR's fetch silly money. Immaculate Clio + cash in your pocket or a tatty CTR. You'd have to be mental to buy the civic.

Buy an immaculate, v. Low mileage 172 cup and spend the extra £1000 buying coilovers, whiteline ARB, ferrodo pads and the Jms stage 2 setup. Will put a civic to shame and be a whole lot more fun.

Last edited:
for that price you can get a really good example FF 182 with FSH and a good millege. Clio for me gutted am getting rid, i will get a another one day.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I dont know what i'd pick.I'd struggle i tell you...i have noticed recently the price gap has come down a lot.There are still bargains to be had.

Your budget will get you a civic type R on maybe an 03 plate with 80k on the clock.The clio would probably be a 54 plate with 50k on it...ish

Last edited:

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
After contemplating selling my ph1 and going for a type r, a drive in one decided my fait. Sticking with the clio just did not like the civic, shame as i thought i would.

Dan

Iceberg 172
Right Cooper S' are out of the question. They just have absolutely ridiculous servicing and parts costs. It's pretty much a BMW. S14's i have looked at but it seems like they can also be expensive if something goes wrong, also there is the massive risk of rust due to the age of the motor, also i want a 2002 onwards car. Really wouldn't mind a s2000 but as i'm 21 with 3 years no claims don't think insurance will be too cheap. However, i haven't bothered to get a quote so could well be worth a look. But for a decent one it seems like there aren't any in my price range.

As for good examples of 182's in my price range this is just one of the examples i found: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2633367.htm And Another: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2640670.htm

For Type R's: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2484500.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2607271.htm

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2643961.htm

Some crazy bargins too like this one: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2662403.htm

Clio 172 ph2
I've had a CTR and now a 172. Loved the CTR and definately faster than my 172. Also comfier, far better gearchange and less faults. But, the 172 has more toys as standard (xenons, cruise, traction etc) and far better steering, also arguably more fun handling. The CTR was grippy and planted but very hard to get the back end out without a dab of handbreak and pretty poor in the wet (on bridgestones). Brakes are about the same but you notice the clio is lighter. I just find its one of the most uncomfotable cars i've owned, a poor drivintg position lets down an otherwise excellent car.

However, given that you can get a far better condition, lower mileage 182 for that money, i'd go with it.

Alternatively, have you looked at bmw 330ci? A different drive but smooth comfy and fast. My dad had one for years. Faster than my 172 but only in a straight line!

I wouldn't buy any jap turbo nutter unless it was 2002 or newer! Older ones are so dated and common!

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Erm a decent RS Clio will outdrive a Mini and most other fast cars. See EVO this month. They rate the 182 as No 1 supercar slayer in ECO car of the year. In fact EVO are always banging on about Renaultsport Clio's,Meganes etc . Theres a head to head this month against a new Megane 250 cup and a V6 255 Clio. Both owned by the same person. They went against the clock on Bedford Autodrome and it was a close run thing.

Iceberg 172
I'm a student for another year at the moment so getting an RX7 which could cost 6 grand in parts every year to maintain would be dumb as f**k. Think i'm going to have to find a garage with the two in and take them out and about for a drive. Thing is its going to be hard to find two in a similar condition due to the Civic's age.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
an impreza sti version 3 type ra, 300bhp out the box and short gear ratios, lighter than standard sti, 0-60 circa 4.8 secs. can be found easily for 4500.

Iceberg 172
an impreza sti version 3 type ra, 300bhp out the box and short gear ratios, lighter than standard sti, 0-60 circa 4.8 secs. can be found easily for 4500.

Not even reasonable mpg. Going to say that it needs 31+ Combined MPG to stop the crazy suggestions.

Iceberg 172
Me. Although it's an individial choice at the end of the day.

They are alright cars, just seem really common around my area (more so than a Type R or a 182) so kinda puts me off. And going to BMW To beg for cheap parts is also a turn off. What are the real running costs actually like?