ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

438 Cams - what's the downside?

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Sam you can't sell the VX yet, I haven't had a passenger ride. I didn't realise that you were that tempted by another clio mate!

Evo 5 RS
Cheers. Useful and honest insight.

and...

taken from my geek spreadsheet... :eek:

MPG > 22k miles p/a > Total L used > Yearly cost to fuel with 99 unleaded @1.37/1.38

26​
22,000​
3847​

5305​

34​
22,000​
2942​

4056​

So for big mileage ITB's would cost me £1300 a year more to fuel lol!

Sorry for straying off topic OP. Didn't mean to turn this into an ITB vs Cam's discussion.... Again.

Don't forget mine is cammed as well as. lol

TBH I'd have to work it out indefinitely next time I fill up, I don't really pay much attention as I don't care frankly LOL

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
RS2 is a good shout on a daily road car yeah, definitely. ITBs aren't exactly problematic but you still have to balance them every so often, and cost of management.

Horses for courses.

If talking the AT Power ones that most people use the recomended service interval is only 2 years IIRC, we're just about to send Porkies off because I noticed one of the plates is starting to rattle, quite a bit of hassle removing and refitting etc, and if you did a lot of miles it would be more often of course.

Mind you most people just driving around with them falling apart and dont notice and the car still drives ok, lol

Evo 5 RS
Not sure what the interval is for Jenvey, I just stick to a rule of every 6 months tbh. It's hard to spot if you're just driving it everyday as it'll be gradual but I've been in a couple before and instantly thought they felt a bit flat. Just need tuning up quickly

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
RS2... Ahem....Ph1>Ph2....Problem.... LOL.

Of to Mike@MWM's thread about PH1 conversions.

I just like the simplicity that the 438's seem to offer. Fit and forget if you will.

Talk to Mike about a testdrive of his car, its fecking epic.

I had NO problem at all keeping up with a cammed stripped out plastic windowed ITB car at bedford when me and Tony Hunter took it out, and its still fully trimmed.

Dont get me wrong, im sure the ITB car probably wasnt quite mapped right etc, but bottom line is that most of them arent or they wander out of calibration over time etc

RS2 and the 197 cams really does seem to work well.

Sam you can't sell the VX yet, I haven't had a passenger ride. I didn't realise that you were that tempted by another clio mate!

I know mate. Unfortunately/Fortunately I start my new job next month. As much as I tried to convince myself...

a) The mileage is going to rape the depreciation value - (And it's currently my house deposit)
b) The thought of doing 80 miles a day in mid winter... in a suit, is just not happening. I thought it was doable, it is, but at the sacrifice of a lot of money, possibly my sanity and definitely my GF lol.

If I was keeping the same job doing 5 miles a day I would undoubtedly keep it for the dry crisp mornings with the roof down and coat on... but as it stands it's going up for sale next week.

:(

Evo 5 RS
ITB cars are quite particular yeah. If some things not right you may as well just be driving a standard one. It's night and day having a good map

Interesting prospect. Wouldn't mind a go in both cammed and RS2'd cars.

Just spotted cub172's offer as well. Cheers dude if that was directed at me.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'd say if you sit at 70 and don't do any spectacular overtaking you could hit 30s, at least with mine anyway. Averaging 80-85 would be a push. Stupid gearing. No changing down required though, just pull out and let the engine do the work. Unless you're showing off lol.

that's not very good at all. Mine did 31mpg on the way down to Dorset a few weeks back in a *cough* hurry. did a comfortable 42mpg on the way back at keeping up with the traffic, motorway speeds. Averaged 36mpg for my ring trip in May

Evo 5 RS
Like I said later on, I'll work it out indefinitely next week as I'll be using it all week, it's probably doing a bit more than that. I'm pretty heavy footed anyway. Yours isn't cammed either is it?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Ok, some good replies to my OP, great info here and hopefully some useful guidance to fellow CS members. My conclusion is that it's not worth it for my daily car and for the number of airfield time trials I do/did. I have owned my Ph1 for about seven years and done my share of SW Area airfield events - in the days when we had access to Smeatharpe airfield (I won the last one we held!). I wish though that it wasn't, how do I put this, so average performance wise. I like the way it drives overall and the way it handles (more than my Subaru, currently) and the aesthetics are spot on for me, but it needs approx. another 10% power (@180ish hp/tonne) and right across the rev range, too. That would be a great car. Damn cars, always so many compromises! May sell it and stick to the Subarus. Ph1 anyone?

Thanks for the replies.

172 cup RS2 - 330ci

I had NO problem at all keeping up with a cammed stripped out plastic windowed ITB car at bedford when me and Tony Hunter took it out, and its still fully trimmed.

Dont get me wrong, im sure the ITB car probably wasnt quite mapped right etc, but bottom line is that most of them arent or they wander out of calibration over time etc

Did Mike's car ever get a run on a rolling road? Possibly interested in this after seeing graphs etc