ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

!42mph in the cup

Sunday night, deserted motorway, 1600ish miles on it now thought Id see what itd do. Pulled like a train up to an indicated !35, then crept upto just over !40 -42, then the girlfriend said thats enough, so backed off, the rev limiter hadnt kicked in but the shift light was on @ 6950 revs.

Fab car, & damn quick, reckon Itll do even more next time!! Not one to be irresponsible, but - time & place etc..

Anyone else pulled similar speeds??:)

yup, on my own private test track of course, and monitored with gps to acurately record the speed as a genuine 140mph.

did 145 in my williams once, on my private motorway of course, it was scary! Things just go by waaay too fast! Once I get my cup and its nicely run in I might see what it can do.

My old R5 Turbo managed 125 before melting the turbo sensor and almost bruning out the car!

Those were the days.... boy racer heaven.

172 Cup

Am I the only one whos car seems to struggle as it gets to about 120mph? Obvioulsy it goes above that but at quite a slow rate.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by ed>cup on 15 August 2003

Sunday night, deserted motorway, 1600ish miles on it now thought Id see what itd do. Pulled like a train up to an indicated !35, then crept upto just over !40 -42, then the girlfriend said thats enough, so backed off, the rev limiter hadnt kicked in but the shift light was on @ 6950 revs.

Fab car, & damn quick, reckon Itll do even more next time!! Not one to be irresponsible, but - time & place etc..

Anyone else pulled similar speeds??
The gearing will allow a Cup/mk2 to do a max of 142.8mph @ 7000rpm in 5th gear, so your 142mph indicated at 6950rpm means the speedo is pretty damn accurate!

However, the mk1 is geared longer, so potentially a higher top speed...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 15 August 2003

Theyll go faster, Im sure. Ive seen 145 on GPS down a private hill
Not in a Cup or a mk2 they wont, unless the limiter is changed!

silver valver/hybrid

on the way to york.. i mean on my privite run way of course! i hit about 143-146, on a slight downhill, couldnt tell exactly cus the needle started bouncing, not cus of the limiter just an iffy needle i think.

Rich - If you dont trust GPS, take it up with the US Army! Just saying that 145 was the highest recorded speed on my GPS unit. Dont fancy trying it again. Car was really straining and had to get a run down hill. Took ages to get from 142 to 145!!! And yes, the speedos are damned accurate if youve got original wheels/tyres on.

Lee

BMW M2C

Quote: Originally posted by griff_90 on 15 August 2003

Am I the only one whos car seems to struggle as it gets to about 120mph? Obvioulsy it goes above that but at quite a slow rate.
Mine is the same, not that it matters as Ive only ever taken it as far as itll go in 5th once, and that was a one off.

Alfa Mito 155TB

I have had 144mph in my MK II 172 on the flat on a private road with a passenger on the rev limiter and 147mph downhill.

done 144mph twice...but only when using optimax...tried on normal 95 ron petrol and performance struggled to get past 130mph....but like me make sure it is on private roads !!

Elise/VX220/R26

got to 130 on my private runway ( I call it the m62) corners were getting awful tight so backed off. That was quick enough for me. Cant remember what the rev limiter was doing but I wasnt really thrashing it to do 130. Crazy really :)

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 15 August 2003

Quote: Originally posted by ed>cup on 15 August 2003

Anyone else pulled similar speeds??:)
The gearing will allow a Cup/mk2 to do a max of 142.8mph @ 7000rpm in 5th gear, so your 142mph indicated at 6950rpm means the speedo is pretty damn accurate!

However, the mk1 is geared longer, so potentially a higher top speed...

Rich since my car has a 7800 limiter in every gear what speed should mine go to?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Rhys on 15 August 2003

Rich - If you dont trust GPS, take it up with the US Army! Just saying that 145 was the highest recorded speed on my GPS unit. Dont fancy trying it again. Car was really straining and had to get a run down hill. Took ages to get from 142 to 145!!! And yes, the speedos are damned accurate if youve got original wheels/tyres on.
But you have a mk1 so it CAN go faster than a mk2/Cup, which I already said...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Neil82cup on 15 August 2003

Rich since my car has a 7800 limiter in every gear what speed should mine go to?
A whopping 159mph in theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

But it would take a lot more power and/or a big downhill to reach that...