ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

4-pot brakes stop a car faster?

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
What good would that extra braking force do if you were on ice?

it depends.

if the force needed to overcome the low frictional coefficient of resistance between the tyre and ice is lower than 2000N; then having a maximal braking force of 2000N is useless.

If the 2 pot generates 1000N and the force needed to generate slip is 1500N then yeah you've got room for improvement?

snow tyres and chains increase the threshold so you could say yes.. 4 pots with spiked tyres is still useful?

impossible to know without knowing the limits?

Day to day driving in ice its probably a waste. And whats also weird.. when i went to view a nissan 370z the salesman mentioned they compared 4 with 2 pots and found the 2 pots had better performance??!! wtf? bs?

Clio 182 turbo
Stop each other the same the speed of piston won't increase regarding it being one pot to 10 pot

phase 1 172
the way i fiqure it the more piston the more EVEN the braking surface = better control which doesnt eqaute to shorter stopping distance

To the OP - I think you've asked a leading question, assuming that you already know the answer. The problem as I see it is that you've made assumptions. They wern't really clear what they were and, as others have pointed out, its easy to dissagree with them anyway.

the assumtion that the two cars "exactly the same" needs to be quantified, and by the sounds of what your related debate is on another forum, that situation is clearly involving two different cars! So I don't quite get that part really.

The other assumtion, that the two set-ups "can trigger ABS at will, at any speed", is clearly a critical point and I think that's why your asking a leading question, thinking that the answer is obvious. But this assumption is not backed up in reality either.

How can you know that the two setups can lock up at any speed, its unlikey any brake set-up can. I would agree that on most modern cars its quite easy to lock up a front wheel by stamping on the brake under most road conditions, but I've yet to drive a raod car that can do that on a warm dry day the moment you begin braking at high speeds - lets say around 70mph (and I know there's many people who regularly drive above that).

So I'd suggest that you need to agree-to-dissagree with your civic owner. Although I can see your point, I can't see how you could say that a brake setup ("4 pots") that is capable of generating more braking torque (bigger disc - you said it!), more stable in pad pressure (caliper design) and less resistance to fade (more thermal capacity due to larger disc/pad) can really be equal in all situations. There will be situations when they may be quite equal, like when the tyre grip is the limiting factor, but this will not be "at any speed".

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nope. Didn't see about bigger disk I should read properly next time :)

TBH, in the case of this thread, we'd all be better if we hadnt read it at all.

Turns out it was about braking on ice, most tenuous way to try and win a pointless argument ever, lol.

Clio 182 turbo

Turns out it was about braking on ice, most tenuous way to try and win a pointless argument ever, lol.

Haha I must of only read the smallest part of this

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member

It wasn't about braking on ice, he was using ice as an example. The thread was about brakes being able to overcome the grip produced by the tyres. Which is correct TBH, if it takes 250Nm to lock the wheels at a given speed, then having brakes which will produce double that will make no difference. However 4 pots have other benefits, and it turned out the OP was talking about two different cars, so it's irrelevant anyway.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It wasn't about braking on ice, he was using ice as an example. The thread was about brakes being able to overcome the grip produced by the tyres. Which is correct TBH, if it takes 250Nm to lock the wheels at a given speed, then having brakes which will produce double that will make no difference. However 4 pots have other benefits, and it turned out the OP was talking about two different cars, so it's irrelevant anyway.

It wasnt about ice till it was pointed out that at high speeds most brakes cant lock the tyres at will, then it became about ice, lol.

Repeating myself a little, but these one piston sliders couldn't lock up my tyres;

aha7aqaq.jpg

These do;

je8aqy5u.jpg