ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

30D any good and what to look for

RIP Dan
There is a 30D for sale here for £225....so £200 as far as I am concerned.

Body only, 2 batteries, charger, software.

Worth it and what do I look for when buying a used camera??

Renaultsport Clio 200
The price would seem good value, a quick google shopping search shows it still fetches a fair bit new (prices from £600 to £800).

I've got the Canon EOS30D and it's very versatile, does everything I want it to do (and frankly a lot more than I want).

Things I personally would check for before parting with cash:

Check the LCD screen on the back has not been scratched too badly (sure some scratches are expected)
Check how many images have been taken on the camera, pretty sure this information is available in the camera menu (the shutter is good for appx 100k cycles - according to canon)
Other than that I'd check for whether it had been looked after, like anything loads of dings and dents means not a particularly careful owner and might have issues arising from that.

MadAsToast

Cupra
If you can, use this free software to do a shutter count. After 10,000 photos the count goes back to zero on the image numbers, but this software will give you the true figure.

Take a shot into the sky at f22 to see how clean the sensor is. The 30D doesn't have a self cleaning sensor AFAIK so you may need to get it done, or do it yourself if you are feeling brave.

RIP Dan
Got an old 300D, hence the upgrade. Got a couple of lenses for it but nothing fancy. Just wanted to pay a couple of hundred and get something a bit better that I will already be familiar with.

A red missile
300D to 30D is the exact route I went down, you'll find the 30 much improved in everything from switching it on (almost instant startup) to the amount of continuous shots it'll buffer - 4 was always a handicap with the 300. The 30 is a good solid performer and I've never even thought of changing, if you can get hold of one in decent nick for £200 i'd rip their arms off mate.

RIP Dan
The guy replied with this:

The camera is about three years old and has taken 9,000 odd shots.I do lots off wildlife photography and the camera is always in motor drive @ 5fps.
Cheers.....

So is that good or bad??

Cupra
My old 40D had done 17,000 and had not missed a beat. If it is a genuine 9,000 then you don't have much to worry about.

RIP Dan
Thanks Andy, got a mate who is a pro, he is a Nikon guy which is why I asked on here too. Supposed to be going out on a shoot (actually me carrying etc but hope to learn off him too!!) with him tomorrow night so might go and look at the camera with him first.

Oil Burner
Go for a 40d, AF performance is better, screen is in a different league. Extra MP cant hurt either.

These go for £300-350 if you watch the forums.

As long as the cameras haven't done epic numbers of shots you should be fine. I had my 40d break at 19k after only a few months, but then with its new shutter it did 40k in about a year without any hint of an issue. Luck of the draw, dont get too hung up on shutter count or you will never take any photos.

RIP Dan
Dragged my heels and lost this, the idiot I am.

Someone is selling a 20D, worth me making a cheeky offer? If so how much?? Body only

Cupra
Peanuts. The 20 has a tiny screen, it's not great at high ISO and you'd be better off saving up for a while to get a 40/50D instead IMHO. The 20 really is old technology now.

RIP Dan
Its for taking away travelling really so I wanted to just pay £200 max and get better than my current 300D. Dont want to be too precious about it as I am hoping to be away for 6months+ and it may get damaged/stolen/lost etc. Someone on here has pm'd me about a 30D so will see how much etc.

When I get back I would get something nice in the £1k range but I would worry about it too much if I got it now!!