ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

306 hdi

Zafira and GSXR

Quote: Originally posted by CarlosTheJackel on 27 January 2003

My mate had a Ibiza Tdi on order with the 130 VW engine, cancelled it eventually due to seat delaying. He reckoned he to get up to scooby turbo speeds and still get 50mpg using chipping, i dont know how true but i know you can make these TDs bloody fast. Dont know how the rest of the components hold up tho.
A chip adds 30% bhp and 40% torque so he would be around the 169Bhp mark. A Scooby can hit 60 in under 6 sec in the wet. No chance.

The VW TDI (130) chipped is possible to get around 180ish bhp. With the torque.....around 260 LB/FT then the in gear times will be BLOODY quick. And yep I could believe as quick as a Scooby. They only have around 200-210 LB/FT torque.

but they have 280 odd bhp 4wd and a 2litre jap turbo. no chance. and scoobies hit 60 about 5 or less, wet doesnt make much different for them.

if u really believe that a chipped tdi golf will keep up with a scooby u really know very little about cars....

Zafira and GSXR

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 27 January 2003

but they have 280 odd bhp 4wd and a 2litre jap turbo. no cance. and scoobies hit 60 about 5 or less, wet doesnt make much different for them.
Thats what I mean a Scooby is very quick. A high powered diesel might stand a chance if it was a rolling motorway blap but not a standing start, no way.

If you think you know a lot and can read....not wanting to get too personal hear......have a look at the in gear times....which is what really counts.....and see that the times would be a little closer than you think.

I never mentioned anything about 0-60. Anything that drives just the front wheels will lose v rear wheel or 4WD at take off.

have u ever been in a scooby?

it would not stand a chance. my dads tvr chimera had more power and torque than that and his scooby was still quicker.. torque really doesnt mean that much as u make out

hi everyone, id just like to say that i do respect the valver, its a good car, and quick as standard, and id personally have one over a ctr. because of the look of em people dont realise wot they really are.

the 306 hdi i have is not a quick car, i will put my hands up and admit that, it is ok in the mid range, 30-50 and 50-70 times are impressive. i have had the 0-60 timed at 10.4 sec, that was an average of 4 runs in the wet, with ice. only a k+n replacment filter and egr valve off. not quick at all. some people would say not even nippy, peugeots figeur is at 12.6 at half paylaoad.

wot annoyed me is when people used language against us saying our cars would never be powerful, or quick. or reliable and it costs a fortune.

i dont consider a 1000£ spend a fortune for the the gain, of 160-170 bhp, this could be nmore depending on the cost of the tuning box, galv did his conversion himself and there fore did it for less than i was spending on a set of 17s and lexus lights.

reliabilty is not an issue, the power is mainly gained form cooling the charge air, and putting in more fuel. boost as standard on a hdi is 15 psi, most modded ones with i/c will be runing 18-19 psi, so no massive increase in boost. tom on our forum has had a 154bhp/225lbft converson on his 206 that he uses everyday as a driving school car. so reliablitity is not a problem, the clutch can cause concern on the big power one like galv tho.

anyway, give us lads a chance, the one neil raced may have been a dud, or not driven right, we mod our diesels, coz its still cheap to insure even with mods, and fuel economy is still there.

thanks for reading anway, let the sl*ggin comence

Now you are showing your knowledge capacity or lack of it.......torque is accelaration.....not bhp. Its the torque that pulls the vehicle. The more torque the faster.

Rally cars are governed at 300bhp. The torque is not.....which is why some are faster than others. Its all about the torque and how its delivered.

Zafira and GSXR

have u ever been in a scooby?

it would not stand a chance. my dads tvr chimera had more power and torque than that and his scooby was still quicker.. torque really doesnt mean that much as u make out
I have been in the standard 208bhp and in STI WRX what a car cant beleave how quick they are, gave me whip lash just sitting in it lol

yep i read that the vw 130 could be chipped to 168bhp not 180 - this was on the superchips website, but i guess we shall see!! my mate has a standard 306 Turbo Diesel and i waste it, but i would like a ride in this tuned up beautys!!!!! all that torque!!!..

hmmm!

soz.. but we have gone from my 170 bhp diesel would beat a valver too give me 10 more break and ill eat scoobies... its just stupid! theyre way out of your league, mine too..

unless your spending £4000 - £5000 on a turbo conversion like nicks the u wont have a chance... ever

ok. well the dci (i think its dci) clio has about the same torque as the 172.. doesnt mean sh*t there though...

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

I noticed the RR graph was at John Noble. Any of you lot from Chesterfield at all??

You have to look at it this way. So the HDI is slow in standard form. Spend some cash and it goes faster. The 16v clio is 137bhp standard. Spend some cash and your looking at 165-170bhp. A turbo is always more tunable than a N/A but why not let Nick Read have you a race with his Turbo, Then maybe it would be a similar spec race, apart form one is diesel one is petrol! Maybe Nick will call at more petrol stations than you on the journey home, but im sure he will have filled up and be home before the HDi has left the start line.

I respect anyones views and comments about their cars, but unless it is proved then its pointless arguing about it. If a tuned HDI beat my 16v then respect to the HDI, but until then its nothing but words in a forum.

Cheers :)

Youve got to keep things in context. Its easy to say that is sh*t and mine is faster than yours........Ive never tried to compare a HDI, no matter what state, to a Scooby.

I believe this started out as a HDI could no way be quicker than a 16valver.

Hopefully, people might see this is possible and no doubt if another engine was stuck in the Clio...that would disappear into the sun.

Anyway...Ive done enough playing with this keyboard. Im off to play with the wife;)

Zafira and GSXR

a Diesel is never going to touch a WRX STi. Lets wake up here.

Adam I see where you are coming from. But this all started over me saying that I had beat a 16v in a race with my HDI and it got a bit out of hand. He is probably not even a member on here but some 16v owners took it to heart to stated slating Diesels. Other diesel owner have come on here just to say that the modern diesel arnt that slow anymore. But it has been a good laugh.

and well still have our meet for the fun of it yea??

anyone in hampshire or willing to travel welcome! with any car u like!

If you can round here quick enough..........youll have to wait for me to finish and that wont be until at least.............30secs:(

Zafira and GSXR

and well still have our meet for the fun of it yea??

anyone in hampshire or willing to travel welcome! with any car u like!
Yer sure looking forward to meeting new faces even if they do drive Cilos lol:D will get in contact with you newer the time but it looks like the 8th Feb at the moment if that is OK.

finally a couple of people who dont have a go and call us t**ts for modding diesels, i just think its good that for 1k u can get around 160 bhp, i dont think thats bad atall, how much is a turbo conversion on a valver, 3k?, and wot mods would get 160bhp?, im not havin a go atall, im just interseted, course a turbo 16v is gonna kill a derv hdi, go for it lads if thats wot u want, i want a quick derv, mines standard at the mo, just imagine the vtr boys faces!, im sure u like to do the same to some saxos, thinkin theyr all that!

yea, im from sheff, gavs from derby, john noble is the best rr near us, a new sunn one i belive!

adam, have u seen the dyno for the larger intercooler 206 with 163 bhp, i may be in the other thread, that one has done a proven 14 sec 1/4, but its a 206 so is light, by quite a bit than the 306

and the dci thing, is it 85 bhp as standard, and 145lbft, but jsut a chip will see 102 bhp, and 175 lb ft, that more than be standard, and i bet it would give a black top vtr a run for its money. uve gota be impress eith that agin from a 1.5 deisel!

Zafira and GSXR

woooaaaa noooo!! 8th and 9th of feb is the renault sports club gumball to newquay, i wont be around at all!
Ok what about the 15th of Feb. do you what to check this with Ben H

lol... rolling road day in birmingham on 15th

my birthday on 16th

sh*t i didnt realise it was all that close in time!!!

after that?? - doh!

ben im not saying it would be anywhere near a 172, it may have more torque, but look at the power, i said it would give a blacktop -ie 90bhp, vtr a hard time!

but everyone else on here is making out torque is everything, but its all relevent, u still need the bhp too

u could have like 600 lbs of tourqe but only 60 bhp. doesnt mean ud be fast.. means ud be a tractor

pic doent work

a neil, we need ben h to confirm a good time for him too. but i think hes going to the rr day too so ill see him there

Zafira and GSXR

pic doent work

a neil, we need ben h to confirm a good time for him too. but i think hes going to the rr day too so ill see him there
Will speck to you after the 15th then

And my 306 isnt that bad running 18s with just the arches rolled. :D now you can keep an eye out for me, keep checking your mirror lol;)