ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3 points and a 60 quid fine for tints! + have to remove nur

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
blitz nur spec is a exhaust made by blitz, basically they made an exhaust for a supra that set the fastest road legal tuned car time at the ring... the nur spec stuff is to celebrate that... supposedly giving the best power possible!

inferno rs 182
this is my baby on a sunny july now these arent even legal

Attachments

• Copy (2) of DSC00038.jpg
    Copy (2) of DSC00038.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 58

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
oh and the glovebox and boot thing is correct in certain states in america... not in the uk... next week listen to uk Hip hop...

i dont pretend to know anything about the law but how come the police need a warrant to search your house but don't for your car? surely its the same principal

And no, they are not the same principle at all. Further the police dont always need a warrant to search your house.

Let’s say mate.( i'm guessing your the traffic cop Right???)
You stop me in my car because the windows tints are to dark.
And you say to me that will be 3 points and I say I’m going to take them off. You still say 3 points I then say well your going have to take me to court.

Would you still bother filling in all the papers to take me to court even if I said I would take them off?

Mondeo STTDCI
And no, they are not the same principle at all. Further the police dont always need a warrant to search your house.

Let’s say mate.( i'm guessing your the traffic cop Right???)
You stop me in my car because the windows tints are to dark.
And you say to me that will be 3 points and I say I’m going to take them off. You still say 3 points I then say well your going have to take me to court.

Would you still bother filling in all the papers to take me to court even if I said I would take them off?

It would be about 6 sheets of A4 paper for me I reckon. With a tick box form for the main part. So what do you reckon?

And I'm no traffic cop!

that sites quite gd mate thanks.

so if you were pulled and wound the windows down do you have to wind them back up again?

If they wanted to examine your vehicle - Yes.

Bumblebee
As dave says, well up here anyway, a vehicle defect rectification notice is discretionary to the officer and he could choose to offer you this which means you receive a notice to take the tints off or put ones within the acceptable limits. You have to do this within 21 days and you have to get the notice stamped by a garage authorised to carry out MOT's.

On the other hand the fact you have illegal tints on your vehilce is an offence, therefore it is an endorseable one that has a penalty of 3 points and a 60 point fine, like your standard sp30.

The Road Policing officer opted for the later.

1.6 focus zetec....
I think its different areas...different copers....different stories!!

Ive got limo on the back and 25% on the front...been stopped twice (once by the chief/inspector traffic officer i think it is) and my tints werent mentioned once!! A mate of mine had limo all the way round (arse i agree) and he got pulled once and the police just made him pull them out on the spot!! Next day he had them done a bit lighter...simple as!!

Best way i suppose is to rip them out in front of the officer....will save you and the officer hassle (unless they want the hassle) or in a more law breaking way swap the when you get in or out the car...that way if you do get pulled the windows wont go up!!

Kiza

Dci 100
I imagine you'll get a shiney new CU20 on your driving licence, you can still go to court, but you probably wont get less than that unless you've got a water tight case and a s**t hot lawyer...and really for 3 points its not worth it, just dont do anymore endorsable offences in the next 6 months or you'll be screwed if you've only had ur licence for 1.5 years...

They don't look ask dark as you say tbh with the amount of light getting through I wouldn't even expect to be able to see the inside of the car.
I know someone who got stopped in Edinburgh recently and his was less their 30% and he was told he couldn't move the car until they were taking off anymore light than 30% and you get 21 days to remove them.
Saying that though the police have been cracking down on this in Scotland for well over 2 years so maybe they just got sick of people taking no notice.

Tweaked Leon Cupra R
my tints are 25% film at the front, and the are 50 or 70 at the back.

the rears dont matter, the fronts have to let through 70%-75% light..

i've been stopped and checked and sent on my way.. in the clear by 2%.. he still gave me some "friendly advice" to remove them. lol, how bout nut. :p

DSC00166.jpg

If i get pulled in aberdeen i'll just laugh at them cos i know mine are legal!
(i was pulled and tintman'd in fife 2 yrs ago)

Inferno 182

Have they changed the law at all because those tints should be leagle. They look like a 20-25% tint which was fine about 3 years ago.

I`ll try find out what the law actually is as I know someone that goes round testing taxis for their tints. I should be able to borrow the gadget and get mine tested as I think there a bit too dark.
whistlingb.gif

clio182.jpg

The interior of the car makes the tints appear darker than they are which doesnt help. Maybe a cream leather retrim may help
biggrin.gif

One of my previous cars had tints and they were road legal at the time. It was 6 years ago though. I think they were 25% tinted too. Here it is

myCelica2.jpg

Ive only ever been stopped for speeding and having fog lights on so I must be luky.

You could try going to trading standards and asking if they could measure the tints. They apparently use the measuring gadget to check taxis so they should have one.
wink.gif

Last edited:
  182 clio renaultsport
they are b*****ds like if they cant get you for one thing they will do you for something else
i had an excellent one against them in my first year of driving was cought speeding through town and i did a bunk manage to lose them and got away it and the best thing about it was in a mrk2 polo 1litre

inferno rs 182

Have they changed the law at all because those tints should be leagle. They look like a 20-25% tint which was fine about 3 years ago.

I`ll try find out what the law actually is as I know someone that goes round testing taxis for their tints. I should be able to borrow the gadget and get mine tested as I think there a bit too dark.
whistlingb.gif

clio182.jpg

The interior of the car makes the tints appear darker than they are which doesnt help. Maybe a cream leather retrim may help
biggrin.gif

One of my previous cars had tints and they were road legal at the time. It was 6 years ago though. I think they were 25% tinted too. Here it is

myCelica2.jpg

Ive only ever been stopped for speeding and having fog lights on so I must be luky.

You could try going to trading standards and asking if they could measure the tints. They apparently use the measuring gadget to check taxis so they should have one.
wink.gif

argh you stole my motor lol :rasp:

yeah the pics paint a different story mate seems like the po po were just being arses. gutted 4 u

Arctic blue 182
Can't believe anyone's supporting this guy. Totally illegal exhaust, totally illegal tints and he whines like a b*tch about getting caught.

Can't believe anyone's supporting this guy. Totally illegal exhaust, totally illegal tints and he whines like a b*tch about getting caught.

I am supporting him Because i dont argee that the exhaust should be illegal or the tints. ( Well maybe the tints) but not the exhaust

80MPG BEEZA
i have limo black on the back lets around 5% light through and i can see totally fine even in the dark, sme people must be blind, never been stopped either i'd only keep saying sorry sorry i'll pull them off until they let me off :) i love my clean license

S13
i have limo black on the back lets around 5% light through and i can see totally fine even in the dark, sme people must be blind, never been stopped either i'd only keep saying sorry sorry i'll pull them off until they let me off :) i love my clean license

I don't have a problem seeing out of the back of my car in the dark either and I've got limo on the back window and dark smoke on the back side windows.

Nothing on the front windows though.

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio

I don't have a problem seeing out of the back of my car in the dark either and I've got limo on the back window and dark smoke on the back side windows.

Nothing on the front windows though.

in a street with little lighting its a nightmare. reno glass is darker than most so the film they put on the fronts is low ish. i think my fronts is a 20% film. looks dark from certain angles but can see out as easily as untinted glass, and id happily demonstarte this to anyone however its over the legal limit. backs are a different story though, like driving a van. if i could turn back time id have went for a lingter tint all round, everyday of the week. reverse parking at night is a nightmare.

never had issues with the police with them but i dont draw any attention to myself and am pretty polite the few times ive had contact with them. lost it on a roundabout in the wet right infront of a trafpol car, checked i had a license and sent me on my way. dont take the piss and there fine with you.

imo the police officer that pulled the thread starter probably had a thing for loud exhausts and wanted to do him for something and it was probably easier to get him for the tints.

Last edited:
  Inferno 182
This may help.

Important Notice: Car Window Tinting

Amendments to Legislation During the early part of 2004, Section 32 of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations will be amended to include “Window Tint Films”, where such materials attached to the glass are capable of reducing the Visible Light Transmission of forward windows to below prescribed levels. These changes will be back-dated to become applicable from 1st January 2004.

This will effectively ban virtually all tinted films fitted to windows forward of the B-Post on any vehicle that is to be driven on UK roads.

The reason for these changes is the recent proliferation of vehicles that are excessively tinted. Some vehicles may be so heavily tinted that they present a real danger when used on public roads. The action being taken by the Government follows a fatality that occurred recently where a heavily tinted car was involved in a collision with a motorcycle and the window tints were held to blame due to the vision of the driver being impaired.

There is however, a recognised difference between “light window tints” which may be considered safe for road use and “excessively dark window tints” which are not.

There has also been a great deal of debate in recent years about the legitimacy of window tints that do not obscure the vision of the driver. A clear case has been argued that road-safe window tints do not actually conflict with existing regulations. The Department for Transport have argued however that Section 32 was always intended to cover materials attached to the glass, despite the fact that no mention of this is made in the Regulation itself.

The only solution remaining would be to amend the Legislation.

Consequently and in order to clarify the situation, the Government have finally decided to up-date the Regulations to specifically include Tinted Films since, in the view of the Police and the Department for Transport, this is the only way in which the problems of excessive tints can be remedied.

Unfortunately however, even tint films that may be considered to be safe for road use will now be viewed as in conflict with the Regulations, enabling the Police and Vehicle Inspectorate to take action against vehicle owners.

This has significant implications for the owners of vehicles that have window tints already fitted and also those that are responsible for installing or selling window tints.

Implications for the vehicle owner

After much discussion, a sympathetic Enforcement Policy has been agreed between the Department for Transport and The Glass and Glazing Federation to ensure that all vehicle owners that have had tints applied in the past may be dealt with fairly. This applies in particular where the infringement is with respect to tints that do not pose a significant threat to Road Safety, despite being in contravention with the amended Regulations.

In any event, after the date of the amendment to Section 32, the owner of a vehicle that has window tints applied forward of the B-Post could be challenged by either a Police Officer or by an Inspector from the Department for Transport’s Vehicle Inspectorate, where their vehicle is noticed being driven on Public Roads.

Where such a vehicle is stopped and the window tints applied are such that the Visible Light Transmission level, when measured using an approved device falls to below prescribed levels, the following enforcement guidelines have been agreed with, and recommended, by the Government.

Above 30% Visible Light Transmission (Less Severe Window Tints)

The owner or driver of such a vehicle would be required to have the tinted film removed from the windows under the direction of either a Rectification Notice or a Delayed Prohibition Notice. A period of grace will apply for a limited number of days (normally ten) during which time the vehicle may be driven whilst the rectification work is to be completed.

In either case, the vehicle will need to be inspected by either a Police Officer or Vehicle Inspectorate Officer to confirm that the glass has been restored to a compliant condition. Prosecution is unlikely in such circumstances provided the vehicle owner complies fully.

Action that needs to be taken

All Businesses that have supplied window tints forward of the B-Post are being encouraged by the Government and the Glass and Glazing Federation to contact all of their previous customers to inform them of the changes to Legislation and to offer them a chance to have their vehicle rectified by having the front tints removed.

As one of our existing customers, this is a service that we are happy to offer to you free of charge. It is also something that we can do for you while you wait to minimise any inconvenience.

Should you wish, we can instead apply Clear SupaGlass once the tints have been removed, for a small charge, and full details are available on request. Please note that in order to apply SupaGlass to the two forward windows we will need to retain your vehicle for a longer period, depending on the model.

f**k removing the nurspec.......its loud but not loud enough for them to say get rid....should av asked to see the calibraion records n s**t

saying that though my bro (also has mr2) has a buddyclub exhuast on his car....straight throught 3 inch i belive and decat...and has never had any probs...

so if you get stopped and you put your windows down and they ask you to put them up can you say no??\
\
jules