ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

3/4 plates, are they worth the hassle?

(s)Low Dynamique
Well I've had my 3/4 plate for nearly two months now, and I've been pulled + warned by policemen twice already. One time I was in work and the copper spotted it in the car park, and called me to speak to him whilst I was on shift!

I keep my standard reg in the boot along with some sticky pads, so both times I've avoided a fine but I'm considering just putting my standard plate back on! They look awesome but are they really worth the hassle?

Fiesta ST200
It depends how lucky you are.

It seems the coppers in your area get quite funny about it. I havent been pulled once where I live and Ive had it on for about 5 months now!

But in your case i would say no, its not worth the hassle. Save yourself some money mate!

Z4
My problem is the car had them on when I bought it, looked cool, I popped the standard plates on to be legal and they look so crap in comparison!

Im currently rolling illegal again, it's not worth it tbh, but my vanity has won for the moment. Not been pulled in 6 months, but it's daft giving them an excuse to! In other words, do as I say not as I do ;)

260% JCW
Simple mod that looks good IMO.

Keep the spacing legal and the print standard and you'll be fine. Had mine for years and never got any unwanted attention from the law, even when we had to stop at one of those regional check point things they sometimes do.

320d
I don't see the problem, they use the standard lettering and its in the same place. All that's different is there is less excess plate around the letters.

I'm going to get a 3/4 plate. I know loads of people that run them with no issue. It depends where you live to be honest. In Salford the police have got much much bigger problems when 3/4 front plates. For a start nobody drives less that 50 anywhere and most have a boot full of drugs.

172 Phase 1 & 172 Ph
I got pulled over and fined for not having the correct spacing (G4V JX) but he didnt even mention the size of the front plate, suppose it depends on the copper.

172 cup
I ain't had a front plate on for 12 months +, been pulled in that time and it has never been mentioned! I don't like the look go the 3/4 plates personally :)

Megane 225 F1
I got caught once and got slapped with a 60 quid fine. I had the standard in the boot as well, but no sticky pads :(

I've got one thats slightly bigger than the one in the guide on here, had it on my 1.2 and now the Trophy for about 2 years. Never had any bother at all.

clio 172 no2/ yzf r1
mines been on the car since i got it n aint had no s**t from the old bill . imo they look better than the jank theyre sold with

M2 Comp
I've got one thats slightly bigger than the one in the guide on here, had it on my 1.2 and now the Trophy for about 2 years. Never had any bother at all.

What size did you get? (if you can remember lol). I remember looking at your Trophy progress thread and thinking it was the perfect size/not so obvious!

What size did you get? (if you can remember lol). I remember looking at your Trophy progress thread and thinking it was the perfect size/not so obvious!

I'll have to measure it again, but I think its 92mm. Its obviously still illegal, I must point that out, However its a good middle ground IMO.

MarcB

ClioSport Club Member
  Too Many
I have been lucky not to have been stoped with mine on but i carry the orignal plate in the boot and 4 rubber bands so if i do get stopped i can blag my way out and put the orignal one back on.

Got stopped in the RS Turbo with tiny plates and i put the orignals on with gaffa tape and got away with it

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I'll have to measure it again, but I think its 92mm. Its obviously still illegal, I must point that out, However its a good middle ground IMO.

Got a good picture?

Never had a problem with my last one, luck of the draw I guess, you know the risks when you fit it!

I think a lot of it depends where you live as to whether your likely to get in trouble for it tbh.
For instance if you live in the country, your less likely to be pulled for it than in a city, where they're particularly hot on car crime..
I know that's not gospel, but if you get my drift.

Same plate used on my 1.2 and the Trophy. Both fit very snug and nice.

Checked my order from when I bought them the specified size is: Front : 520x95mm

5401970239_f4d03b3a5a.jpg

6371296151_14a9f714c9_b.jpg

172 Cup
Defo worth it, they make a hell of a difference to the front end of a 1*2. Had mine on well over a year and not had a pick of bother with it either.

clio 1.4 16V
I don't see the problem, they use the standard lettering and its in the same place. All that's different is there is less excess plate around the letters.

I'm going to get a 3/4 plate. I know loads of people that run them with no issue. It depends where you live to be honest. In Salford the police have got much much bigger problems when 3/4 front plates. For a start nobody drives less that 50 anywhere and most have a boot full of drugs.

+1 xp

Z4 Coupe
I've not been stopped in a year of having one fitted. Flew through the MOT aswel.

3/4 plate ftw

320d
They're not standard sized lettering. The letters are shrunk in proportion.

Well they look reasonably standard. The copper would have to be a jobsworth, although most are. I'll keep my standard plate in my car, plead ignorance and hope they let me off if I get stopped.

But if you keep your standard plate in the car, you can't really please ignorance, why would you carry a spare plate if you thought your normal one was legal!

But as said. All depends where you live I think, as to how hot they are, how many traffic enforcement officers etc.
For example, round where I live. Don't think an eyelid would be batted!

M2 Comp
I think Jon.G's look perfect imo, not as obvious as some I've seen!

How would this affect insurance in the event of an accident?

Evo 5 RS
The speed check camera picks up my reg just fine, therefore theres sod all wrong with it. (Not speeding btw, just a slow sign if you're even slightly over 30)

Looking for 182
The speed check camera picks up my reg just fine, therefore theres sod all wrong with it. (Not speeding btw, just a slow sign if you're even slightly over 30)

Those don't read your registration plate, they just detect how fast your car is moving.

Mine is 520x84:

182-5.jpg

If you want a smaller look, fancyplates used to be able to cut down to what size you wanted.

Minimum permissible spacing round the edge is (IIRC) 12mm, so just get them to cut it down to that and you have a smaller plate that is still legal.