ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

2nd hand camera, what to look for?

RIP Dan
AFter deciding not to claim on my insurance for a new camera (I will just pay for it in the end with excess and higher premiums) there is a Canon 400D (I know its old) with 2 lenses and and a few other bits for £120.

So he wants £100 I reckon, which isn't a bad price when comparing to Fleabay.

What do I look for on the camera?? To check if its not utterly fcuked and he isn't ripping me off:eek:

koi

Audi S1
Ask the seller for:

• shutter count, will be quite high as the 400D is bit old now so could use this to bring the price down
  • a high res shot of the sky with min exposure on both lens, use these to check for dust or marks on the sensor

If he is local check the lens for any visible damage and make sure the movement is smooth.

Saying that though £100 is cheap for a decent camera and 2 lens.

RIP Dan
Cheers Koi, I am thinking if it all looks ok and even if there is a bit of dust on the sensor when I get home, there is a guy locally who does a clean and service for £30. Even £130 is a decent enough price.

I know its old but I really cant afford anything new at the mo.

Everyone is local here, it's only 9x5 miles, inbreds you see.

koi

Audi S1
Guessing one of the lens is the kit lens, what's the other one?

You could have a go at cleaning it yourself but it's one of those jobs I wouldn't want to do so would leave it to the pros...or just photoshop them out lol

Camera's only as good as the user and all that...

RIP Dan
Yeah ones an 18-55 kit and the others a cheap sigma F4 5.6 DG 70-300.

Yeah I agree mate, thats why I am happy with an old 400 for now, Im still learning and it is easily enough for my talent lol.

koi

Audi S1
Yeah price is pretty good then.

Get good range with the lens so will allow you to figure out what kind of photography you are into and upgrade at a later date.

RIP Dan
So I got it, £90 in the end.

file-14.jpg

Came with the kit lens, Sigma DG 70-300 1:4-5.6 a couple of filters, rucksack and 80s tripod lol

Also he chucked in a Canon EFS 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 which he said didnt work.

He is right, it doesn't. It says err01 communications between the camera and lens is faulty, clean the lens contacts when you take a shot with it.

I found a Pixco fisheye converter FC-37E25 0.25x which defo aint for an SLR....

Took a quick couple of test shots and it seems fine and no dust marks on the shot.

Pretty happy tbh for £90.

Attachments

• file-14.jpg
    file-14.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 80
  RIP Dan
No, tried with an eraser and some alcohol.

Think the lens is fcuked tbh, but it was a thrown in so no biggie.

Not sure of value and if its worth getting it looked at, I will try it on a mates 600 tomorrow and see if that makes a diff, dont think so as the kit, 70-300 and my nifty fifty all work fine on the 400 body.

I am happy anyhow, £90 is all good.

The fisheye has a 35mm diameter threaded attaching end on it, so a point and shoot of some kind does anyone think??

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like you for a hell of a deal there.

That lens is buggered. I've got the same problems with my SIG 70-210. I clean the contacts and it will fire one shot. Doesn't matter what camera I put it on. Local camera shop said its not worth getting repaired.

koi

Audi S1
Got yourself a bargain there, get the 18-200 working and you could even make money.

My dad has the same tripod, it is from the 80's!

RIP Dan
Bit of a bargain mate, to clarify did you get the 18-200 working by cleaning the contacts?

I paid £30 to get it fixed and picked it up today, works a treat.

Not sure what the main uses of an 18-200 will be though.

Bully, its a 'walkaround' or travel lens. It goes from wideangle to long(ish) telephoto.

Its strength is its versatility and flexibility. Its weakness is it will be 'slow' and optically average.

RIP Dan
I have wanted a 10-20 for 3-4 years but can't justify the spend.

If I can get £100 or so for this 18-200 I might be able to get the 10-20.

Not in any huge hurry.

They are bloody epic lenses.
I waited a long time before biting the bullet and buying a 10-22.
Don't think I'd be without for landscapes, urban stuff, night shots, cars.... etc etc...
Great piece of kit and I doubt a 10-22 or 10-20 would lose too much money, especially bought lightly used.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The 10-20/22 is the next lens I am after. Just need to free up some funds for it. Found one second hand for around £300, New they are around £380 (for the Sigma)

Good thing about it is the thread size is the same as I have now so all my filters will cross over.

Have also considered a Samyang/similar cheap 8mm fisheye but they are very limited for filters as they fit on the rear of the lens but can be picked up new for around £200.